60 yo Aussie - 25 kgs (55 lbs) in a year

Options
Hi there:smile:

When I first started REALLY doing this, I found other peoples stories and pictures inspiring, so I am sharing my story in the hope of inspiring others. I am a 61 year old Australian, female - I was 60 when I started this! Just after Christmas 2011 I weighed in at 98 kgs (216 lbs) - and that was my "moment", my trigger. I did not want to go into triple figures. I had been worrying about my weight for ages - years, even joined MFP in the middle of 2011 but never did anything about it.

Once I determined to start it was easy - honestly. I thought I was quite well informed about dieting, foods etc. Perhaps for me the biggest thing was to eat enough - to eat to my target, not to restrict myself to tuna and lettuce leaves as I had in the past. I did that once, took me 18 months to lose 10 kgs. And then put it all back on as soon as I relaxed and ate normally. Eating a decent amount has worked for me. Eat to your target, get some exercise, and log faithfully every day. This is not a "diet" - been there, done that,came "off" that; regained the weight - it is a lifestyle change - incorporating better food choices and exercise.

My exercise started with me walking around my backyard 10 times as quickly as I could, (it was a small back yard!) then 15, 20, 25 times. I got up and did this at 6 am before I had even time to think about it. Sometimes I pumped my arms as I went - no one could see me! :laugh: Then I started to do some longer walks around the block. I tried to find opportunities to move my body wherever I could - walk the long way around to the shops, walk instead of emailing colleagues at work, walk in my lunch break for 10 minutes. I made better food choices (but at no time have I felt deprived or deprived myself - look at my diary and you will see it littered with cake, chocolate, fish and chips - but within my limits - usually :laugh: ). I stopped having milk and sugar in my coffee and "spent" those empty calories elsewhere! I eat a good protein breakfast with carbs.

Most of my weight came off in the first four-five months, as I have got closer to my goal the weight loss has slowed right down, but is still trickling off slowly. I think that the next step is to start doing weights, I just need to get my son to change the weights on his machine so I can MOVE the things!!

I have gone from an Australian size 20-22 (US 16-18) to an Aust size 12-14 (US 8-10) depending on the make and what it is - I tend to be 12 in pants, 14 in tops. I have given away bags and bags and bags of clothes to the charity shops, but I did keep the aqua top in the before photos. Might get a photo in that to compare! All the pants fell off so they went!!

I want to thank my true blue MFP friends who have stuck with me daily, encouraging me and sharing my victories - :flowerforyou: :heart:

And now - drum roll (I hope I can get these to work!!) my pictures.

110103FATASUSEASTRIGGERTOLOOSEWEIGHT_zps799c62f2.jpg
This one was taken just after Christmas 2010 – scary – but it was not enough to make me do anything. I was 96 kgs. I got fatter.

This one was taken about a week after I started this “long and winding road” (yes I was a teenager when the Beatles were around!! 98 kgs
Christine98kgs120107Before1_zpsac270696.jpg

And from the side – awful.Christineweight120107Before2_zpsa2a85c52.jpg

By 26 Feb 2012 I was down to 89.6 kgs – not quite 10 kg lost but I could see a difference – front & side
Christine896kg120226front_zps84279892.jpg

Christine896kg120226_zps9aa23e45.jpg

By the time my daughter got married at end of August, I was about 75 kgs and feeling great – family who came for the wedding couldn’t believe it! I lost 3 kgs after I bought the dress, glad it still fitted!
ChristineKampDwed120831_zpsbad0363c.jpg

And today … 72 kgs (158 lbs)
Christine12121872kgfront_zpsee3fb8c2.jpg

Christine12121872kgsideL_zps49f22263.jpg

And face comparison …. Botheration as Winnie the Pooh would say! If you right click and open in new tab it should pop up OK.

Christine98-72kg2012face_zps1ac44684.jpg

One of the best things has been finding “me” again – for so long I have looked in the mirror and not known who looked back at me – I’m back!

MFP has been the best thing for me, I intend to be here for a long time monitoring and ensuring I never go back.

Replies

• Farmerj2000
    Farmerj2000 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Great Job, I tried fixing your pictures but no luck. You have them tagged right they should work. I think it may have something to do with dropbox. You may want to create a photobucket account. And just to make it easy dont include any spaces in the Album and file names.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Great Job, I tried fixing your pictures but no luck. You have them tagged right they should work. I think it may have something to do with dropbox. You may want to create a photobucket account. And just to make it easy dont include any spaces in the Album and file names.

Thanks! will go and try - I think perhaps because the dropbox has the "s"?? Watch this space :laugh:

Thank you photobucket!! :flowerforyou:
  • JimmyJazzMX
    JimmyJazzMX Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Good for you, you look great... Congrats!
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What a fantastic transformation!
  • ChristineS_51
    Options
    Thank you! :smile:
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Yes my friend you have done well :drinker:
  • Happyme2009
    Happyme2009 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Lovely! What a will! Stunning transformation, thank you for posting!
  • mrsna
    mrsna Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Great transformation!! You look amazing!
  • manohirarevolutions
    Options
    You are my inspiration!

I'm 97 kg, i plan to seriously start my journey after my defense (in january) and expect to get to 72 kg by the end of 2013.
    Currently I still cannot avoid empty calories in my coffee *sigh*
    But I already learn to log my food and start exercising.
  • BlueJue2
    Options
    You are AWESOME!!!! Great job!
  • Foie_gras
    Foie_gras Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You look just lovely! Biggest congratulations! You're an inspiration. Keep up the great work!
  • brunettesrule
    Options
    Christine, that is an amazing and inspiring story. You look absolutely fantastic in after photos. :smile: You are a true success story. Glad I got to know you on MFP and will start logging again.

Again, congrats on your success story :flowerforyou: chat soon.
  • ChristineS_51
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words. I didn't think I could ever budge that weight, but once I started doing something about it - it went!
  • ChristineS_51
    Options
    You are my inspiration!

I'm 97 kg, i plan to seriously start my journey after my defense (in january) and expect to get to 72 kg by the end of 2013.
    Currently I still cannot avoid empty calories in my coffee *sigh*
    But I already learn to log my food and start exercising.

If you have started logging, and doing some exercise, you have started - don't wait for anything! Every little step, every little new good habit helps. Good luck on your weight loss :smile:
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful! I think you lost a least a decade along with those 55 pounds!
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    What a change! Great work!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    OUTSTANDING !! You look fabulous, dear. What an accomplishment -- you done good. And yes! you look a good 10 years younger, too. Just wonderful!
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Wow. You look great! So what is the translation in pounds? What was your starting weight and finishing weight? Amazing transformation--
    Congratulations!
  • ChristineS_51
    Options
    Wow. You look great! So what is the translation in pounds? What was your starting weight and finishing weight? Amazing transformation--
    Congratulations!
    @Nacho12 - my starting weight was 98 kilograms which is 216 pounds; now I am 72 which is 158 pounds. I have lost 26.3 kgs or 58 pounds so far - most of it in the first few months. I am still losing - today I am 71.5 kgs which is 157.6 pounds - I would *like* to get to 68 kgs which is a shade under 150 lbs - that would make my BMI in the healthy range - according to BMI I am still overwieght. I was about 140 pounds when I was much younger so at 150 I am still not as skinny as I could be, but at my age a bit of fat helps fill out the wrinkles :laugh: :laugh:

:smile: Thank you for your kind comments. :smile:

PS I use these converters because I am no mathematician!

http://www.unitconversion.org/weight/kilograms-to-pounds-conversion.html

http://www.unitconversion.org/weight/pounds-to-kilograms-conversion.html

http://www.unitconversion.org/weight/stones-uk-to-pounds-conversion.html
  • Lns25
    Lns25 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You look amazing :) From a fellow Aussie, WELL DONE!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!