GYM??? OR NOT???

Options
I don't go to the Gym and only workout at Home or when it is nice i will walk 2-4 miles at the Park...Is it okay not to go to the Gym and just do my own exercises at home? I found fitness videos that I workout too and do my regular walking...is there other recommended things to do?

Thanks!!
Feel free to ADD ME :)

Replies

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    The simpliest answer is "Whatever works for you". If you enjoy working out at home, are seeing results, and it's something you can stick to, then it looks as though that may be the ticket for you.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    gym is typically the best option, unless you have weight equipment at home.

really depends on your goals.
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    The simpliest answer is "Whatever works for you". If you enjoy working out at home, are seeing results, and it's something you can stick to, then it looks as though that may be the ticket for you.

Thanks...I don't have any equipment I might look into light weights but other than that I don't have an elliptical or arc machine at home lol
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options

Thanks...I don't have any equipment I might look into light weights but other than that I don't have an elliptical or arc machine at home lol

If you stick to exercise videos, YouTube and OnDemand features on cable offer free new things you can try. My wife uses them all the time since she prefers to work out at home too.
  • 1lexisva
    Options

If you stick to exercise videos, YouTube and OnDemand features on cable offer free new things you can try. My wife uses them all the time since she prefers to work out at home too.

Me too saves money and time because the gym is about 30 mins from my house
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and it just boils down to personal choice. Personally i prefer the gym, it motivates me more and there is obviously more equipment there so i can mix it up a bit. If i was in the house i would be more tempted to stop when i get tired. I sometimes need the fear of "someone seeing me give up" to motivate my lazy *kitten*! :wink:
  • CakeyBakey
    CakeyBakey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use Fitness Blender vids on Youtube and free weights at home and am seeing great results. Am going to start running again the new year...save your money, you don't need the gym!
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    run outside for cardio, throw sandbags inside for resistance ;)

do what you enjoy, just make sure you do ;)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Me too saves money and time because the gym is about 30 mins from my house

That's really not that far. My gym is about 20 minutes from my house. Then again I live in an area where everything is around 30-60+ minutes away so I'm used to having to drive places but 30 minutes is nothing.

But as someone here said it depends on your goals. Will you lose weight doing exercise videos? Of course but if you want to build serious muscle and drop BF then lifting is something that you will need to consider. Unless you want to drop a lot of money on a home gym then you'll have to drive that horrid 30 minutes to the gym to do it. :wink:
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Thank you :D I am definitely going outside when it gets nice I love the outdoors!!! :)
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You can get excellant results without a gym. I can gaurantee I would not be were I am today if I relied on a gym. I just do not have the time for it. I run and do dvds. I have some hand weights but that is it. There are so many get at home dvds and workout programs now. I love it.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    There are dvd programs that give great muscle tone too. The cost a little more but still less than a yearly gym membership
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

That's really not that far. My gym is about 20 minutes from my house. Then again I live in an area where everything is around 30-60+ minutes away so I'm used to having to drive places but 30 minutes is nothing.

An hour round trip to get to the gym and back? Total waste of time for me if I can do the same workout at home in that hour. Like others have said, youtube, netflix, DVDs and a couple sets of hand weights will give you a great workout.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    There are dvd programs that give great muscle tone too. The cost a little more but still less than a yearly gym membership

They have all kind of free fitness videos on Xfinity Cable I have done a few cardiology for beginners, pilates (which I don't like lol), kickboxing (LOVE) and walking 2 miles
  • 1lexisva
    Options

An hour round trip to get to the gym and back? Total waste of time for me if I can do the same workout at home in that hour. Like others have said, youtube, netflix, DVDs and a couple sets of hand weights will give you a great workout.

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I don't like the gym and do all my workouts at home/outside and it works for me! It helps to have a lot of different types of workout DVDs for variety, and some equipment. I have resistance bands and some dumbbells (2.5lb, 5lb, and 10lb) and it works for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. If it's primarily cardio fitness then DVD workouts are great...running...walking, etc. I'm currently doing calisthenics as part of my strength building, but looking forward to hitting the gym where I can really start to heavy lift and put on some muscle and burn this fat. In my experience, if you don't have home gym equipment, then going to the gym is the only way to do it. Like I said, it just depends on your goals. If I wasn't wanting to weight train then the gym would be a complete waist of time
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you're getting a proper workout at home, no need to go to the gym. If you feel you might do better if you went to the gym, then consider it.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals but most people can get away with exercise at home to reach their goals. I highly encourage including strength exercises though, push-ups, sit-ups, and resistant band work. If you are looking to add great deals of strength or do not hold yourself accountable at home, then look at going to the gym.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You can do a LOT of good exercises at home with little to no equipment
    nerdfitness.com
    uniquebodyweightexercises.com
    you are your own gym