In need of tips for holiday drinking & snacks

Options
Obviously with new years rolling around and holiday parties left and right, having a cocktail or beer is inevitable. Anyone have some good suggestions on something low cal (beer/wine/cocktail) that won't have you drinking a full days worth of calories but still get a good buzz?

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    getdrunknotfat.com

Lists out lots of different types of alcohol and nutrition info.
  • Soloflyergirl2
    Soloflyergirl2 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    No buzz needed..... Don't drink and drive.... Try Sparkling Water.... Sparkling Grape cider/drink.... It has the fizz without the buzz... , :drinker:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Personally, I take off from exercise and tracking calories between xmas and new years because it's not what you do between Christmas to New Years, it's what you do between New Years to Christmas. A body needs a calorie and exercise break occasionally to help eliminate the stress from your body. So enjoy. Try to eat more lean meats and if you drink, spirits and wine are the way to go.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Wine and exercise work for me.
  • jennytree
    jennytree Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Vodka and diet coke (or any diet beverage) does the job for me :smile:
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Bacardi and water with a lemon slice is what I drink
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Obviously with new years rolling around and holiday parties left and right, having a cocktail or beer is inevitable. Anyone have some good suggestions on something low cal (beer/wine/cocktail) that won't have you drinking a full days worth of calories but still get a good buzz?

Jager shots
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    LETS GET DRUNK!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I guess you can just drink plain everclear diluted with a little water until you are sufficiently drunk. that is going to be your lowest calorie option.

But you know, the point of having an "adult beverage" is not JUST to get drunk. You can have something quality and enjoyable and find a way to fit it into your calorie budget. Or you can splurge a little. It's the holidays. Enjoy it!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    LETS GET DRUNK!!

k6h8s.gif
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    LETS GET DRUNK!!

k6h8s.gif

yeah, that is pretty much what i look like.
  • kai47
    kai47 Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks for the link! This is great!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    No buzz needed..... Don't drink and drive.... Try Sparkling Water.... Sparkling Grape cider/drink.... It has the fizz without the buzz... , :drinker:

BORING PERSON SPOTTED
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    skinny girl wines are good. or just bump up exercising so you can indulge a little more. that's my plan
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I like to put a little egg nog in my Irish Whiskey.

I'm going to try making homemade egg nog this year. I plan to put a little in my Irish Whiskey. The egg nog I buy at the store is only 210 calories for 1/2 cup.

It's Christmas for fck sake.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Good vodka
    On Ice
    Squeeze in Fresh lime

Done deal :)
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    I am going to make my most serious post ever.

Make this drink. F@cking do it!

1oz of raspberry vodka, island originals strawberry mix and 7up!

124904589635327070_dYeGrFns_c.jpg

ETA: It's called "Big Mamas lemonade". They sell it at a restaurant called Montana's, but it taste just as good when you make it on your own.
  • fitnwhole
    Options
    Personally, I take off from exercise and tracking calories between xmas and new years because it's not what you do between Christmas to New Years, it's what you do between New Years to Christmas. A body needs a calorie and exercise break occasionally to help eliminate the stress from your body. So enjoy. Try to eat more lean meats and if you drink, spirits and wine are the way to go.

I agree wholeheartedly!! For this to be a lifestyle for me I allow myself the holidays off. However I'm still mindful of what I eat I might overindulge a little like having 5 mini desserts ( I put a teaspoon or TBSP of each dessert on my plate...very satisfying). I don't waist calories on sodas...Not worth it for me I rather drink diet lemonade. I will try to fill my tummy up with more veggies and fruit but I don't deprive myself neither do I allow myself to go too crazy!

BTW I think Hungry Girl has a cocktail cookbook and ideas. I would google it!

Good luck
  • nfrewin
    nfrewin Posts: 73 Member
    Options

BORING PERSON SPOTTED

EXACTLY!!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for almost four years now, and during the holidays, I'll just eat a reasonable amount of food/drink without binging on it. With drinks, the lesser the volume of fluid, the fewer calories you're consuming, in general, so you're going to want to go with something that will get you f'ed up as fast as possible. Vodka shots will do the trick. Or wine if you want to pretend to be healthy, which is what I do myself, and I can actually hold a conversation for a few minutes before that "drinkable" bottle of pinot grigio I thought was such a great value has exploded down my gullet

In terms of food, especially sweets, take a "sampling" approach. Enough of a slice of cake, or a cookie, to try the flavor without going overboard (usually one of something, or a bite sized piece). I also do like to get in a couple of days of exercise just to feel better about myself; emotionally it's a good thing.