Red bull yes or no?

Options

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!!!! There is no need for stimulants. Eat some fruit and get some sleep.
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    No , try increasing your water intake with a sliced lemon or orange on the side. Water is a natural energy pick me up. Help relieve fatigue get your body moving.

exercise.png
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    I think if you ate more than 1000 - 1200 calories per day you would probably have more energy to workout. And do normal life things.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Spark

Whats spark?

It's an energy drink from Advocare. I use the powder form that you mix with water. Pretty convenient. It's sugar free with some caffeine and lots of b-vitamins. One of my trainers recommended it and it really does help with the energy levels. Plus I like the taste - the mandarin orange tastes like Tang :-)
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Sugar Free Red Bull :drinker:
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    If you want to get really cracked out, drink NOS (sugar free)

That stuff is no joke!!
  • intend2
    Options
    only with vodka. ;P

Kidding. Eat an apple - I hear they are very energizing when you are tired. I personally think RB tastes like NyQuil!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    If I need an extra boost before a workout I take a caffeine tablet (I take no doze plus. It had B vitimins in it too. Here in Australia you can get it in the chemist). They have a similar amount of caffeine to a cup of coffee so not an extreme dose. That way you skip all the sugar and other crap you don't need in the energy drink.

If you are at all interested there is extensive research on caffeine and exercise (a simple google scholar search pulls up heaps of results). I've done a fair bit of reading and was satisfied from what I've read that it was safe and suitable for my personal use.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    They work for me. But if you are concerned with the calories or what not, I would suggest caffeine pills. Not sure if they are "bad" for you, but they wake my butt up right away and I don't crash.
  • SweetSailor
    SweetSailor Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of anyone having a heart attack simply because of a regular amount of Red Bull (such as the small can of Red Bull), although it can cause heart palpitations because of the high caffeine and Taurine. A heart attack and palpitations are two different things. Although I have read an article about a man who did have a heart attack because he drank over 8 Red Bulls along with several 5 hour energies. But, having one or two here and there isn't going to hurt you. I've had heart surgery and was warned not to drink them a lot but I've still had them over the years. And this is coming from a heart surgery patient, born with an extra valve that had to be burned closed (because it caused my heart to beat over 400 beats a minute, causing me to go unconscious). Not to mention in some articles Taurine has been thought to improve athletic performance (Mayo Clinic).

You were warned not to drink them, or not to drink them 'a lot'?

My 42 year old brother had a habit of one can of Rockstar a day, for few years, which his doctor told him to lay off. He had a massive heart attack 6 weeks ago and passed away. Sure it wasn't "one or two here and there" but it's readily available, mass marketed product that people think is so harmless. I don't trust those things, each serving has the caffeine of multiple cups of coffee and each can has multiple servings, which is how they get around the problem, blaming the consumer for ingesting too much. This will put a strain on your heart if made a habit, but why even ingest something so hard on your body to begin with?

My brother also was sedentary and had atrocious eating habits, for the record, but was not overly-obese, somewhat normal man.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...Although I have read an article about a man who did have a heart attack because he drank over 8 Red Bulls along with several 5 hour energies...
    That's just natural selection at work, weeding out those who are too stupid to be breeding. I like to refer to it as "chlorine in the gene pool".
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    ....drinking a red bull right now (after very little sleep last night)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hi. Im totally against red bull. And the reason is I used to drink it about two years ago and it caused me to have a mild heart attack. I was 26 then. I would stay away from any form of energy drink. But I agree with the whole coffee idea. Just get you a creamer or something that has a differnt taste. Thats what I do lol.. Gotta love the caramel moccioto one ha

So it was the Red Bull? Not any other reason of health? I hate claims like this because the reasoning would so very rare. General health and diet was more likely to be the blame, altho I accept I'm sure it happens in some cases, rarely.

Hi. The dr at the hospital said it was the redbull that caused it which I did drink the 20 ounce and not the smaller ones. Recently I was diagnosed with a heart condition called mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation. The dr said they arent sure how long I have had it so that may have played a part mixed with the redbull but who knows. And also my diet 2 years ago was alot better than it is now. I was actually 25 pounds smaller so I know the diet and weight didnt have anything to do with it.

Oh...so you have a heart condition. You definitely should avoid any stimulants if you have a heart condition. It will trigger an event. So sorry to hear that happened to you. When I was in high school, one of the boys on the basketball team, dropped dead of a heart attack. They said caffeine played a role (this was back before "energy drinks" existed), but he had a heart condition as well that had been previously diagnosed.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Tablespoon of honey

I've never tried to add honey to my Red Bull. I will have to try that!
  • Katy_G2013
    Katy_G2013 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I drink the pink Rockstars. 10 Calories, no carbs. They help me. Or there's always coffee.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    To the OP...why are you exhausted? I personally would address the underlying issue rather than trying to mask it...too little sleep...too much sleep...too much junk food...not enough calories....not enought carbs....too many carbs? I found that when I generally started eating healthier and more balanced, I had a lot more energy...when I eat like crap, my energy goes to crap.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Drink of choice is zero cal monster or lo-carb monster. I also keep caffeine pills on hand and take 1/2 at a time if needed.
  • texastumbleweed1
    Options
    B12 and get some vitamins to take daily i used to have the same problem

I agree on this, B12 complex.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I hate coffee. lol

Well, then drink some tea.
  • Bob_Sutton
    Bob_Sutton Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Personally I go for a can of Celsius before I go to gym. I have a noticeable increase in energy during the workout and don't feel a crash afterwards.

The only time I don't drink it is if I am going to the gym after 8 at night since it does have 200mg of caffeine in it. So you may want to be careful if you are sensitive to caffeine.