40 lbs in 8 weeks!!!!

Options

Replies

• shape_up4good
    Options
    Congrats on you achievement! keep going!

I did Medifast years ago. No solid foods went into my mouth for 6 months. I lost 75 pounds and then when I started adding food back, I was in a car accident. I could not exercise and had to take my meds with food. I cried and cried. I gained back every pound--emotional eating and lack of control. I tried so many diets since then. I am doing well on mfp. I do bug servers asking about what is in a dish if the nutritional values can't be found online. I have even had a couple of cooks come out of the kitchen to explain the dish to me. I have shared mfp website with anyone who will listen.

WOW it has changed a lot. I only do shakes in the morning,
  • allstarlolo
    Options
    Hey - so many people on here are being super negative. I say, if this works for you - then awesome! And good for you!
  • 16Momma16
    16Momma16 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is really great. Listen to the good advice and ignore the negative people. I find that mfp has some really rude people that is why I choose to be part of a private group. A lot of people seem to think it is a good quality to just say whatever they feel like. You need people to cheer for you and encourage you not be sarcastic and rude because they don't agree with your way of losing weight.

I say good for you and keep up the good work
    :drinker: :drinker:
  • SuperMammaLeah
    SuperMammaLeah Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of negative posts on here, we are a community that encourages one another to become healthier. This man lost 40lbs, now we should encourage him to eat healthy and work out.

I am pretty certain he realizes that he still has to eat healthy now that part of a program is over. Let us show some positive posts folks!!
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    if a young woman said she was going to eat 800 calories a day (like the medifast program) and lose 40 pounds in 8 weeks she would be roasted alive here

I am just curious why it is ok for a guy

seems hypocritical somehow

Wow, very well put. If this were a young woman, this thread would be going downhill fast.

I am happy for the OPs weight loss, but most of us know this is too fast and possibly unsustainable. Everyone would love fast weight loss, but you need to slow down and keep it healthy. Otherwise, you won't be any better off than you were before.
  • foleyshirley
    Options
    Congrats! That is really great. Listen to the good advice and ignore the negative people. I find that mfp has some really rude people that is why I choose to be part of a private group. A lot of people seem to think it is a good quality to just say whatever they feel like. You need people to cheer for you and encourage you not be sarcastic and rude because they don't agree with your way of losing weight.

I say good for you and keep up the good work
    :drinker: :drinker:

You people drive me insane. The "rude people" you are referring to have a great deal of knowledge and want to help. You shouldn't cheer if a weight loss method is unsustainable.
  • foleyshirley
    Options
    I see a lot of negative posts on here, we are a community that encourages one another to become healthier. This man lost 40lbs, now we should encourage him to eat healthy and work out.

I am pretty certain he realizes that he still has to eat healthy now that part of a program is over. Let us show some positive posts folks!!

He has already lost weight and regained. So why would you be certain he is ok now?
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I think it's great! Anything that helps jump start your journey and give you the confidence required to help you continue is better than getting fed up and stopping. I hope you work on the mentality associated with weight loss, such as learning how to eat properly as such when you're done medifast. It's all about identifying what happened and how we got there, and how we can prevent it, how to develop and grow as a healthy individual, etc. Just as long as you start practicing healthy eating habits sooner rather than later, that will be good! Congratulations once again on your weight loss. :)
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

He has already lost weight and regained. So why would you be certain he is ok now?

It's quite possible for someone to learn from their mistakes..
  • foleyshirley
    Options

Yes, it certainly is. But given 40 pounds in a short period of time, he possibly has not.
  • vaborn25
    Options
    I am doing medifast! I know there are some that are leery of it, but 40 pounds in 8 weeks, I am excited!!!

20 pounds a month is pretty good. Congrats.

To all those who seem to have a problem with this method. Who cares how one loses the weight as long as they lose the weight. The method is just the tool to get you where you want to go. Sometimes people add weight back because of certain things happening in their life. If you can learn self-control and maintain a 3 day a week workout, then it is just as good as losing the weight slowly. I know plenty of people who lost weight slowly, only to gain it all back latter. And I know people who lost the weight quickly and have yet to regain the weight and some have.
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone being such an a-hole? GOOD GAWD get off your pedestal.

CONGRATS on 40 lbs lost. :)

EXACTLY!!!!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say CONGRATS! If it is working for you, you're happy, and you have what you want... :)
    Everyone here is going to bash you bc you didn't do it their way.
    Good luck
  • Ellas_Time_4_Change
    Options
    Then it's your mindset and determination that probably needs to be changed, not the method for getting to your goal.
    [/quote]

^^This, sorry I know 40 pounds is great but chances are the way you went about losing the weight won't be sustainable in the long term.
  • mommamellymac
    mommamellymac Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You will get mixed responses in here - most of us are very wary of quick-fix solutions and have done this the (often painstakingly) long way.

Firstly, I am glad you have dropped the weight, just coming down that much will help your body immensely. What you need to do now is slowly ween yourself off it. Reduce the amount of reliance you have on the shakes, and SLOWLY up your calories back to a reasonable level. You will gain some weight back during this phase but it is normal, and inevitable.

Learn how to live with a sustainable long-term decent diet, and make sure you are getting regular exercise (if you aren't already). The point where you come off the shakes and start using MFP to plan your diet will be the most important part of this trip. Do it slowly, do it right, and you will continue to see success!

^^^^love this!

You are on your way! Congratulations on your loss!!
  • ElleM0
    ElleM0 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm no fitness guru. The only thing I DO know is consistency is key.

Congrats on your loss! I hope you continue to reach higher heights on the program of your choice!! :drinker:
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    if a young woman said she was going to eat 800 calories a day (like the medifast program) and lose 40 pounds in 8 weeks she would be roasted alive here

I am just curious why it is ok for a guy

seems hypocritical somehow

Thank you.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss.

I went to the Medifast website. While it is strict, it is very structured and for the OP to lose this weight that means he has been very disciplined and consistent for the last two months.Discipline and consistency are essential for success and most of us that don't get the results we want whether we are shooting to lose a lb a week or more, its because we don't stay on track. For those critics who say he can't sustain the loss, ask yourself how disciplined or consistent you have been in the last 8 weeks. Losing weight is hard, support one another even if their journey doesn't mirror your own.
  • vaborn25
    Options
    The Medifast program actually looks like a really good program. It has the weight loss phase, the transition phase, and the maintenance phase. Takes dedication. I hope you are able to lose a lot more than 40 ibs, if that is your goal of course. Again congrats and the program looks good to me. May try it.
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am doing medifast! I know there are some that are leery of it, but 40 pounds in 8 weeks, I am excited!!!

Be smart about it. It can assist you with your weight loss, but keep in mind this is long term thing. WHen you get off it, make sure you eat at your TDEE for your weight. Don't get complacent.

What is TDEE?

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's how many calories you need to maintain your weight. Once you're off medifast make sure you eat the calories you need to maintain your weight so you don't gain.

The most important thing to weight loss is having healthy habits. When people lose weight quickly they haven't developed the habits to eat properly for their weight, that's why people gain weight back. The longer it takes you to lose your weight, the stronger your habits for eating right and exercise will be.

If you use this to get down to your goal weight, remember this is just the beginning, then you have to learn to eat properly for your weight. You have done good though. I would personally stop medifast once you get to an "average" body fat%. That's where lower calorie diets can lead to muscle mass loss. You're fine right now, so don't worry about it.

THANK YOU! You were helpful without being RUDE like some of the others on here,I'm not the OP but I appreciate people who can be helpful and KIND of this site.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!