Healthy foods ARE more expensive.

Options
1234568»

Replies

• msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    For many reasons, I do not shop at Walmart. Always low quality, bad business- always! I do not save when I shop there. You save on their store brand of packaged foods, which is primarily their customer base. They do not cater to better health.

I buy almost all my salad stuff (and I eat salads every day) at Costco. 6 pack of Romaine, 2.99. Bag of bell peppers, 2.99. Spinach- 3 lbs, 1.99 (and you can put that in everything, eggs, sauces). Whole Pineapple- 2.99 each. (list goes on- but for $45 a year- I save a ton on groceries by shopping there)

I buy chicken when its on sale- Sunflower/Sprouts/Albertsons has sales of boneless chicken breast that is 1.99 a lb. I stock up whenever they have the deal- and separate out the sizes for myself and freeze. I buy meats maybe 1X a month- and I save a ton by shopping this way. I also hit the local farmer market often- there is one near my house. The most I ever see for apples is $1.29 a lbs.

You can eat healthier- you just have to shop the seasons- I don't eat strawberries or peaches in winter, because they are out of season. It takes time to find the best deals in your area, and those hidden secrets, but you can do it. If Walmart is the only option- eat bananas as your fruit- until something else goes on sale. Buy frozen veggies rather than canned.

It is much cheaper to eat healthy that not- and what you will spend on groceries overall (when you cut out all the other foods you don't need) you will see a big savings :) I used to think the same way- I was wrong, it took time- but that is why we are here to help support :)