What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,650 Member
    Options
    For Christmas Eve we ate at an Isaan restaurant in Koh Tao and got staples of charcoal grilled wings and green papaya salad. Rice and stir fried veg not pictured.

Some pineapple we bought on the street cut fancifully.

View from the hotel breakfast area with my asian breakfast of congee with pork balls.
    jmt2ftt8kyns.jpeg
    53gjybt2d5n6.jpeg
    kpn77wvtg0ew.jpeg
    biwulr0u51pr.jpeg
    9ba8wqd8o8bc.jpeg
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    @SafariGalNYC That looks scrumptious! Thanks for sharing 😊
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Safari GAl ~ Totally agree with takinitalloff. Beautiful food and beautifully served.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Christmas dinner in Koh Tao. Deep fried whole fish in SE Asia never disappoints. This was a red snapper deep fried then served swimming in a sweet caramel sauce with a ferocious dipping sauce on the side. Diners can choose how much caramel to use to temper the dipping sauce. We also had prawns stir fried with garlic and pepper and a som tam (=green papaya salad).
    jwl7hjkn2dhk.jpeg
    0dg537mhiom7.jpeg
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    acpgee ~ That's a big fish. :)
  • acpgee
    Options
    Dinner on our last night in Koh Tao. A local green called Langia leaf stir fried with egg was new to me. We also had chicken wings in tumeric, long beans with pork and a Tom Yum soup.
    rqx5uwbbwqc0.jpeg
    n33uaxk8uu4c.jpeg
    lkpjazbucrrx.jpeg
    rnk71734nh8e.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Lunch was at an exceptionally good hole in the wall. I had pork noodle soup. Hubby’s chicken stir fried with garlic and black pepper doesn’t look exciting but was delicious and very tender. Freshly pureed mango and watermelon crushed ice smoothies not pictured. An excellent lunch for two was 6 quid.
    p0ditatsjnyk.jpeg
    z9r2x40ktth9.jpeg
    hb0odn8qi2wt.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Got a snapshot of today’s fresh fish selection at the tourist trap BBQ we went to on our first night in Koh Tao. Fish was super fresh but cooking was meh.
    7hdfr5g2ibql.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Lunch at Koh Samui airport was £25 and the most expensive meal in Thailand up to that point. Airports will always be rip offs. They did have the local veggie of Langia leaf which we had again stir fried with egg. Also had a green curry and deep fried pork belly garnished with slivers of deep fried lemongrass which were edible.
    d7bkxkdv4s11.jpeg
    zi63u2ubhc7p.jpeg
    hf6v95c1xqz8.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    We arrived late at night in Bangkok from the islands where I booked a hotel in Thonglor, a neighbourhood popular with Japanese expats. Neighbourhood chosen because it is next to the highway going to the international airport where we have an early morning flight home soon. The restaurant closest to the hotel still open was a Izakaya place. Despite it being foreign food we had the usual “illiterate in Asia” challenge.
    p5vymvrjsfbj.jpeg
    b61z4sxgmxn6.jpeg
    4z365ombr3bc.jpeg
    pdhr96bsy3ve.jpeg
    bigsaz78ux20.jpeg
    a0p2r8besfhh.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Today’s lunch of pork noodle soup in a humble local restaurant catering to office workers. Our second hotel in Bangkok just prior to the flight home is in a posh neighbourhood where there are no hole in the walls (restaurants with an open shutter with no doors or windows). Still good and cheap at 80 baht.
    xjc00ihryapc.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Somehow the neighbourhood of our new hotel in Bangkok has more foreign restaurants than Thai restaurants. Our last dinner in Thailand was Chinese food.
    kxdyd95e44si.jpeg
    a8d2wppdyxfd.jpeg
    0q919iphln48.jpeg
  • takinitalloff
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Kebda Eskandarani with tahini sauce, I think I got this idea from you @SafariGalNYC ? The liver was pretty good but the salata baladi had waaay too much raw onion for my taste (and that’s after I adjusted it way down). My bad, I know I need to go easy on the raw onion.

Somehow the meal ended up tasting bitter, even though none of the three components tasted bitter on their own. Life is full of surprises 🤪

I assume this would have been much tastier eaten with bread, as they do in Egypt. But I’m not eating bread for the time being, so 🤷🏻‍♀️
    xcgqkaplyjys.jpeg
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 931 Member
    Options
    Kebda Eskandarani with tahini sauce, I think I got this idea from you @SafariGalNYC ? The liver was pretty good but the salata baladi had waaay too much raw onion for my taste (and that’s after I adjusted it way down). My bad, I know I need to go easy on the raw onion.

Somehow the meal ended up tasting bitter, even though none of the three components tasted bitter on their own. Life is full of surprises 🤪

I assume this would have been much tastier eaten with bread, as they do in Egypt. But I’m not eating bread for the time being, so 🤷🏻‍♀️
    xcgqkaplyjys.jpeg

@takinitalloff yes probably guilty haha. This looks awesome! Hmm thinking on why it could be bitter.. maybe the cucumber? 🥒

Love seeing this!! 🤗
  • takinitalloff
    edited December 2023
    Options
    @takinitalloff yes probably guilty haha. This looks awesome! Hmm thinking on why it could be bitter.. maybe the cucumber? 🥒

I really don't know! It wasn't any single ingredient, it was a combo of something -- liver+salad, or salad+sauce, or liver+sauce? Or maybe all three together? I couldn't for the life of me figure out what happened to create bitterness. Reminds me of that time many years ago when I added kiwi to yogurt... terribly bitter, don't mix kiwi with dairy :#

Do you have a go-to recipe for Kebda Eskandarani? I would like to try again sometime.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Breakfast at Bangkok airport of Isaan food. I attempted to eat one of those whole deep fried chilli’s which had indeed mellowed but not enough for the attempt to go well.
    bbu8bi45aufa.jpeg
    24wa8eppgs2h.jpeg
  • JamesMason9223
    JamesMason9223 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hot Honey Glazed Chicken Thighs on Roasted Green Beans with Smoked Cheese Creamy Pasta
    Planned this the day before but came down with a cold and my chicken was already marinating for 24 hours by that point so had to make it, but it still came out pretty good.
    1233 calories, 67g Protein.
    I really only eat 1 meal a day to meet my caloric goals, this allows me to eat alot of tasty food, just with large gaps of time between them, but knowing i'm getting something good instead of fast food slop or non-appetizing "health food" makes it easy to hold out. Also it's like the only way I feel I can get a good portion of vegetables in my diet.
    IMG_20231229_125302338.jpg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Airplane food. The Bangkok/London service of Eva Air (budget Taiwanese airline) and the Bangkok Airways Koh Samui/Bangkok service, both in Economy.
    78d5okzrbm4t.jpeg
    ul4jyyx0cvv3.jpeg