What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,670 Member
    Options
    Dinner was a bit of a fail due to my poor labelling of freezer contents. I thought I pulled out a pork loin but it was a loin shape chunk of pork mince. I marinated and cooked it like char sui including 8 hours in the sous vide before realizing my mistake. I went to town producing a variety of Korean banshan. The batch will serve as vegetable sides for another two nights this week.
    ib8steowsish.jpeg
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    y0oh5dxxigt5.jpeg
    Made a great salad for lunch the other day. Chicken with chipotle/adobo sauce, cucumbers, Greek yogurt, cilantro, pickled onions and other bits. So good!
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 544 Member
    edited May 17
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Dinner was a bit of a fail due to my poor labelling of freezer contents. I thought I pulled out a pork loin but it was a loin shape chunk of pork mince. I marinated and cooked it like char sui including 8 hours in the sous vide before realizing my mistake. I went to town producing a variety of Korean banshan. The batch will serve as vegetable sides for another two nights this week.
    ib8steowsish.jpeg

@acpgee ~ how did you prepare the sprouts?
    --everything always looks delish! Thank you for the shares :)

x0dv9zrue53b.jpg
    our grocery has sweet onion and bell peppers on good sale this week. Will cook some stovetop (think mire poix and sofrito), bag up and freeze for future cooking. Will cut some in strips to marinate and smoke/grill to use as topping next week. Some just onion/peppers. Some cremini/button mushrooms, and a batch of onion/pepper/mushrooms. I use an Italian oil style home marinade, blackening seasoning and torn cilantro to spice. We will also smoke a turkey for an hour and finish in the oven, then use bones for stock. I have saved other bones to use as well, and altogether, it makes at least a gallon+ that I will freeze to use for stoups/sauces.
  • acpgee
    Options
    @Adventurista
    I did this for spinach, beansprouts, daikon, potatoes and cucumber
    https://www.koreanbapsang.com/15-korean-vegetable-side-dishes/
    I used a Japanese recipe for the green beans
    https://www.justonecookbook.com/green-bean-gomaae/

• Adventurista
    Options
    ty @acpgee
    -- my next door neighbor is SK, and temporarily living away while a replacement home is built. Will explore the recipes for a welcome home meal :)
  • acpgee
    Options
    @Adventurista
    Some roasted meat and a bunch of Korean banchan/namul in tupperware boxes is a good gift meal for someone who might want to pull out leftovers later in the week because the Korean sides are meant to be served at room temperature, and leftover roasts are good at room temperature too.
    My tips for producing a large selection of banchan:
    1. Prep all the grated/pressed/minced garlic and finely chopped scallion in one go. These are the common ingredients called for in several recipes.
    2. Use the food processor and spiralizer. I used the food processor both for making thin disks of cucumber, and for daikon where I later sliced stacked disks into julienne. Consider using a spiralizer or grater instead of julienne, depending on how much hassle it is to clean the spiralizer/grater versus cutting stacked thin disks into julienne by hand.
    3. Use a salad spinner. I blanched veg by pouring hot water from the kettle over vegetables in the salad spinner, draining, and then cooling by running with cold water. The salad spinner spared me from having to squeeze out excess water by hand.
    4. Buy some ready made kimchi. There are some other store bought asian pickles you can use to stretch a selection of banchan/namul. I am fond of Chinese pickled mustard greens. Japanese pickled daikon is nice too and can be bought ready sliced.
    5. If a recipe calls for crushing sesame seeds into a paste with a pestle and mortar, consider using Chinese sesame paste (made from roasted seeds), tahini (made from unroasted) or even a teaspoon of peanut butter instead.

Another gift meal I regularly do is my standard offering for new parents. I will cook a huge batch of something braised such as bolognaise sauce or coq au vin to fill up the freezer with small portioned boxes.

What does SK mean?
  • acpgee
    Options
    Friday nights we usually eat out because the hubby is convinced it makes the weekend feel longer. The Sicilian near us recently changed chefs and were soft launching at 50% off.
    c3t5ukrnzmlk.jpeg
    vreloksz0pc8.jpeg

• Adventurista
    Options
    Wow, ty for the tips @acpgee
    -- SK is South Korean. She tends a large variety of vegetables, and prepared us a number of dishes when we were moving into our home, so appreciated. Unfortunately, the construction has displaced much of her planting this year, so i thought to reciprocate and appreciated the links :)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,403 Member
    Options
    I cut off most of my peonies today. Some were already falling apart. The rest will be before I get back from the river. I also chopped off a whole lot of roses.

I took a bunch of these out to a local establishment and made a nice flower arrangement. The rest went into the green waste cart. There will be more roses when I get back; the peonies will all be gone. They are so lovely but short-lived.
  • acpgee
    Options
    I made the dinner I planned for on Thursday when I mistook a hunk of frozen pork mince for a pork tenderloin. There is leftover banchan for at least one more night.
    dgjqukviaptc.jpeg
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 967 Member
    edited May 21
    Options
    Breakfast : Straggisto with fruit

🍽️ Dinner Squid w purèed greens, herbed rice
    Halloumi with tomato and balsamic

1qipf7677d7n.jpeg

7tz46pifyuie.jpeg

e154ojrzdsxr.jpeg

• acpgee
    Options
    Blue cheese souffle and watermelon/feta/mint salad. Some toast on the side with olive oil.
    o6mo17s58msm.jpeg

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 967 Member
    edited May 24
    Options
    🍽️ Lobster, eggplant, fava bean purée, seafood salad and tzatziki.

uta9csgb4145.jpeg
    0jl7rxw1j1zv.jpeg
    1vawzyaf2sze.jpeg
    dvp7g1y0iwf2.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Our Friday night dinner out because Hubby is convinced it makes the weekend feel longer. We went to a soft launch that was pretty good.
    sb5oewwvlf85.jpeg
    6er264pulhil.jpeg
    zm24yf27ootf.jpeg
    wlqwllazoh2s.jpeg
    mrtfmmca3l8j.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Sous vide char sui pulled out of the freezer and finished in the air fryer. Cold bean sprout namul and overcooked stir fried choi sum with brown rice. Tried a new brand of rice and struggled with the timing.
    krykq194xopy.jpeg