What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Options

Replies

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    "Wayne Gretzgy Maple Canadian Cream" (like Bailey's, but maple-y), and more.
    omg wow that sounds good! I may need to stay away from this thread haha

From their website: The perfect hattrick of Wayne Gretzky No.99 Red Cask Whisky, 100% farm-fresh Canadian cream and natural flavours create this ultra-smooth liqueur. Delicate tan colour with caramel, cream, maple syrup, pastry, and spice notes.

Also, your breads are beautiful.

Thanks for the compliment!

There''s a lot of temptation in this thread, LOL!
  • Veta2018
    Veta2018 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Chicken with peas and carrots
    yvznlwgs9dn5.jpg
    Beef, gravy, green beans, and brown rice.
    qfaicudlrdqg.jpg
    Chicken, shrimp, spinach and wheat spaghetti noodles.
    duniati7s9s9.jpg
    I've been craving this banana split.
    DQ version has 520 calories, 14g fat, 9g protein, 72g sugar, and 92g carbohydrate.
    I made it myself for 348 calories, 10g fats, 6g proteins, 46g sugar, and 62g carbs.
    tdwuxsf5kv54.jpg

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    Dinner on the Toronto/Heathrow service of Air Canada in Economy.
    qipvpxyqz7am.jpeg
  • mjbnj0001
    edited April 24
    Options
    Tonight's (Tuesday's) dinner: pasta e ceci/tomato-less but with some extra veggies. My "batch" was 8 servings, I bowled up 2 servings for the photo. MFP recipe DB computes a serving of this version as about 400 cal, 15g protein, 7g fat, 76g carb (of which 9g is fiber). Table service included a dusting of parsley and grated parm cheese (which adds a couple of cals/etc.). This is a pretty easy dish, less than an hour from start to table (I used canned chickpeas tonight). Plenty of leftovers. Cheap, too.

To get the "sauce," after sauteeing all the veg (I sauteed the peppers first, solo, and set them aside), I added the chickpeas and water to simmer for a bit. I then removed about half the solids with a slotted spoon and buzzed the remaining with an immersion blender. Then I returned the reserved solids and the peppers, added the dry pasta, and let it all come together with further simmering. My surprise was, I made the dish with al dente pasta, as is my custom. After the meal, when I went to gather it up for refrigerator leftovers, the pasta had more fully hydrated, effectively absorbing all of the "sauce" - I had thought I had too way much water, but in fact it was just slightly too little.

dlvipfoaxc57.jpg

• acpgee
    Options
    @Veta2018
    Your crockery is very pretty.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Oatmeal risotto with sea bream, a crumble of air fried skin and a drizzle of salsa verde, accompanied with sea bream carpaccio using excess fish in the two fillet packet. I follow the FDA guidelines for freezing fish at low temperature to sterilize supermarket fish for parasites in order to serve fish raw.
    6jq1yve1e7f4.jpeg
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Tonight's (Tuesday's) dinner: pasta e ceci/tomato-less but with some extra veggies. My "batch" was 8 servings, I bowled up 2 servings for the photo. MFP recipe DB computes a serving of this version as about 400 cal, 15g protein, 7g fat, 76g carb (of which 9g is fiber). Table service included a dusting of parsley and grated parm cheese (which adds a couple of cals/etc.). This is a pretty easy dish, less than an hour from start to table (I used canned chickpeas tonight). Plenty of leftovers. Cheap, too.

To get the "sauce," after sauteeing all the veg (I sauteed the peppers first, solo, and set them aside), I added the chickpeas and water to simmer for a bit. I then removed about half the solids with a slotted spoon and buzzed the remaining with an immersion blender. Then I returned the reserved solids and the peppers, added the dry pasta, and let it all come together with further simmering. My surprise was, I made the dish with al dente pasta, as is my custom. After the meal, when I went to gather it up for refrigerator leftovers, the pasta had more fully hydrated, effectively absorbing all of the "sauce" - I had thought I had too way much water, but in fact it was just slightly too little.

dlvipfoaxc57.jpg

@mjbnj0001 ~ appreciate the shares and techniques.
    -- wondering if you pre-soaked or started with dry garbanzos or?
    - any other seasonings?
    - liquid was?
    -- really like the looks of this and would like to try

@acpgee ~ imagine you are happy to be home and cookin' again. Your dishes(prepared foods) and presentation are always beautiful. Many things I have not encountered. There is an Asian fusion show I like to watch that simplifies/demystefies some of the foods and prep, and is something I hope to explore further.

-- Question, is there a particular ''sticky rice" and way to cook you could recommend?
  • mjbnj0001
    Options

dlvipfoaxc57.jpg

@mjbnj0001 ~ appreciate the shares and techniques.
    -- wondering if you pre-soaked or started with dry garbanzos or?
    - any other seasonings?
    - liquid was?
    -- really like the looks of this and would like to try

@acpgee ~ imagine you are happy to be home and cookin' again. Your dishes(prepared foods) and presentation are always beautiful. Many things I have not encountered. There is an Asian fusion show I like to watch that simplifies/demystefies some of the foods and prep, and is something I hope to explore further.

-- Question, is there a particular ''sticky rice" and way to cook you could recommend?

1. I was lazy this time. Canned peas, 29oz size. Starting with dried gives superior results if you have the time. Most of my preps since January have been from dried (I'm taking a little reduced-meat journey). I have an old-fashioned jiggle-top pressure cooker that makes this easy; an Instapot would work or just an ordinary soup pot or Dutch oven. By using canned, I also dropped the initial simmer stage down to about 15 minutes, rather than an hour or so, because the peas were already cooked. I'd want more peas or less pasta next time, for better balance.
    2. Seasonings: S&P, rosemary, sage, dried red pepper flakes. Simple. Among the veg was several finely minced fresh cloves of garlic if you want to count that. Serving garnish was parsley and grated cheese. For leftovers tonight, I added more red pepper flakes for added kick.
    3. Water, 95%. I had a little splash of leftover commercial broth (unsalted) I tossed in just to be rid of it. The post-sautee simmer stage (before adding the pasta - this cooked the diced carrots and onions), was very soupy by design, as the liquid was intended to flavorfully hydrate the pasta with enough left over to keep the "sauce," well, saucy. The pasta box called for 4 qts water, but that's the conventional boil method where the cooked pasta is drained from the cooking water; here, the dish comes together as a whole, and I estimated 2.5 qts. That was a bit short; tonight's leftovers didn't really have a liquid sauce remaining after the pasta continued to hydrate past my original serving, but were good anyway. I splashed a bit of water into it before microwave reheating to give a little bit of moisture. Interestingly, the Youtube vid I bookmarked for this recipe had the chef use the dried beans' reconstituting water as the liquid base. That probably would intensify the flavor. But also introduces the need to skim the broth as you cook the beans for an hour or so. I have several pasta e ceci video recipes on the hook and used this one as it matched my mood and pantry tonight.
    4. Insanely easy to try. Dice up veg. Sautee as if eventually making soup. Add water and beans and simmer together for a while. Remove some of the solids and reserve for a moment until blending the rest into a thickened sauce. Add the pasta and reintroduce the reserved solids to cook together. I had kept the mini sweet red and regular green bell peppers separate throughout the process until after I buzzed the remaining solids as I didn't want blended green peppers to green-tinge the sauce, plus I wanted the contrast of more intact veg pieces (this is my main departure from the video recipe). Otherwise, simply onion, garlic, carrot in this particular case. I suppose you can go wild with other veg. I've seen recipes with mushrooms, too.
    5. Good luck!
  • acpgee
    Options
    @Adventurista
    I usually use sushi rice and prefer Nishiki brand grown in the US. My information might be out of date as my Japanese cookbook is the Shizuo Tsuji classic from the 80s. There they warn that most Japanese brands dust sushi rice with talc which requires careful and vigorous washing. Nishiki brand was the first pre-washed (musenmai) rice.
    I do sometimes use long grain Thai sticky rice though prefer short grain for sushi.
    Although soaking is recommended for both Japanese and Thai sticky rices I usually don’t bother. I use the Chinese Xiaomi rice cooker where the regular cycle takes an hour and the quick cycle takes 40 minutes which is slow compared to the 20 minutes needed on the stove top. I assume that the Xiaomi incorporates soaking in it’s process.
    For risotto I use arborio rice, but will substitute Nishiki if I am out.
  • acpgee
    Options
    @Adventurista
    I think Thai long grain sticky rice is stickier than sushi ice. I use it for desserts such as Thai mango and sticky rice or Chinese eight jewel rice pudding. It’s also my preference for making Malaysian/Indonesian compressed rice cubes that are served with satay.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    @Adventurista
    I usually use sushi rice and prefer Nishiki brand grown in the US. My information might be out of date as my Japanese cookbook is the Shizuo Tsuji classic from the 80s. There they warn that most Japanese brands dust sushi rice with talc which requires careful and vigorous washing. Nishiki brand was the first pre-washed (musenmai) rice.

Just as I now learned about dealing with (potentially reducing) arsenic in rice, comes talc. Glyphosphate in oats, wheat, corn, apples. 40 years ago, in my 20s, I was "mostly organic." I should have stayed the course all these years.

• acpgee
    Options
    I haven't done much real cooking since getting home this week after visiting mom. Today I warmed up some celeriac soup I found in the freezer, made when that stuff was cheap in February and just pan fried the garnish of chorizo oil and fried rosemary tonight. Green salad used vinaigrette I still had in the fridge made prior to our trip. Bolognese sauce was from the freezer too, batch cooked with a girl friend last month.
    dugxab5sfcps.jpeg
    89ge2dhg5rr7.jpeg

• acpgee
    Options
    I am apparently a little out of practice with cooking. Chicken satay got a bit overcook because I used breasts when the recipe called for thighs and forgot to adjust the cooking time/temperature. Nasi impit turned out okay despite forgetting to line the mold with clingfilm. Satay sauce was good and had no issues. Chinese turnip cake made in the microwave was a bit of a fail. It tasted good but the texture was all wrong. Scorched at the bottom of the vessel and too soft on the top. Szechuan aubergine salad was dependably good. A miniature Chinese eight jewel pudding was good despite forgetting to mix coconut fat or shortening and sugar into the rice. No fat made the rice hard to handle due to stickiness. Happily the sugar content could be rescued with extra floral syrup normally poured on sparingly just to add shine to the finished pudding.
    3hb4m24kk7nt.jpeg
    arwoiy6wqpuj.jpeg
    @Adventurista
    Today I made the Chinese eight jewel rice pudding and the compressed Malaysian rice cubes using Cantonese sticky rice, because the store was out of Thai sticky rice. The Cantonese stuff was also a long grain and very sticky especially when cool. There were no instructions on the package so I washed four times before the rinse water became clear. I used the normal rice to water ratio called for by my Xiaomi rice cooker, let the mixture soak for 3 hours before turning on the default 1 hour cycle. Texture turned out fine. I will have to compare with the no soak results when I am shorter of time.
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    3ddc8vrnda4m.jpeg
    Quick dinner after rehearsal. Air fryer is really nice for late night dinners without heating up the apartment.
  • Adventurista
    edited April 27
    Options
    @mjbnj0001 - ty! Picking up some garbanzos, and those little noodles. Have the rest. Made a gallon of bone broth this week and often use when cooking beans or rice. The recipe looks like it would work well with other beans too.

I have not used a pressure cooker nor instapot, however, i like to cook up a lb of beans and freeze in portions for cooking. I really like using 2+ beans in recipes, and love using large blends in soups like Bobs red mill 13 bean mix which i presoak overnight.

ps, with you on reducing chemical exposures and seeking organic. Who knew? Back in the (decades) day, it seemed to be an 'out there' thing along the lines of granola or vegetarian seeking fringe eaters.... And now, ever mounting evidence shows us how food can nourish or harm us... Would think it's a no brainer, but still is majorly resisted.
  • Adventurista
    edited April 27
    Options
    @acpgee - ty for the info on rice. Talc? Who knew? Very important tho.

You have shared ideas i have never encountered... have not done sushi, rather the typical americanized Chinese food restaurants, which is the rice i had been unable to replicate at home with white long grain on stovetop.

The jewel rice dessert looks delish, and I could see doing the nuggets for a starch with stir fry veggies and meats/kabobs for a beautiful plate.

I appreciate the observations, and look forward to the no soak results.

Think I will explore our Asian markets. The options in our regular stores are rather limited.
    -- my first to try will be your recommendation of "sushi rice and prefer Nishiki brand grown in the US."
    -- i was so surprised a few years back to learn there are US grown rice and wild rice.

Imagine your routine is falling into place again... it is easy to slip out during a break. The meals at the facility looked sufficiently balanced and decent, but imagine very different from mumsies home cooking...

The longer we can preserve our health, the longer we can enjoy such beautiful variety in our meals.... Appreciate the shares here from everyone.
  • acpgee
    Options
    So tonight I had my batch cooking buddy over for dinner. She struggles to cook on weeknights and every 4 weeks we spend a weekend afternoon batch cooking a huge quantity of braised dishes such as bolognese sauce or coq au vin to fill up both our freezers with ready meals. Tonight instead I instructed her how to make an easy Thai dinner of garlic pepper chicken with cucumber salad which can be produced in the 20 minutes it takes to cook some rice. My girlfriend did all the cooking and I just stood around barking orders. For dessert we steamed a Chinese eight jewel rice pudding I assembled yesterday. It really is the Chinese version of a Christmas pudding, normally served at New Years.
    m4hp3ftohc71.jpeg
    ki30h6fszljj.jpeg

• acpgee
    Options
    @Adventurista, @mjbnj0001

Apologies for being alarmist.

As I mentioned earlier, my reference about Japanese produced rice containing talc came from my 1980 first edition of "Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art" by Shizuo Tsuji. It was the first comprehensive Japanese cookbook published in English. I guess that would be comparable to using Julia Child as my reference for French cooking.

Googling for articles in a cursory manner, scientific papers on Japanese rice and talc date from the 70s. The most recent paper I found linking talc coated rice to stomach cancer in Japan was from 1978. I did find a later blog article saying that after Ralph Nader campaigned to ban US imports of talc dusted rice, manufacturers switched to dusting with cornstarch or other flours in the 80s. There was a warning for coeliacs to read labels regarding the dusting agent.
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 17,835 Member
    edited April 28
    Options
    Susanna527 wrote: »
    cmsienk wrote: »
    Tuesday lunch on the road... turkey and white cheddar cheese sandwich (on gf bread) with a peanut butter blossom I brought with me and a serving of cole slaw from the food brought in
    hghs679zcfse.jpg

I LOVE peanut butter blossoms - I make mine grain-free/gluten-free (I've got Celiac's) with just peanut butter, an egg and some sugar, sometimes I'll add a pinch of salt & some vanilla if I have it. I think they're fine without the flour and all the other stuff that's normally in them.

I see your sandwich was on gluten-free bread.
    Gluten-free bread here in Connecticut is RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE - $6 for 5 slices of g/f sourdough bread, $7.99 for a 2 g/fskinny baguettes, $8.49 for 4 g/f bagels. I make most of my bread items from scratch because of the price, but I've yet to make a sandwich bread.
    Can I ask what type of g/f you use? Thanks! :)
    @Susanna527, I'm sorry, I didn't see this until just now! (I stopped posting food pics back in January.)
    I wish I had the time to make my own bread from scratch. There's a bakery near me that sells a 48-hr. fermented sourdough that I'm able to eat with no problem. I pick up a loaf of that from time to time. My go-to gf bread is actually a store brand (Kroger 7-grain) bread. It doesn't fall apart when used for a non-toasted sandwich and actually tastes like bread. $5.79 for a 14 slice loaf.
    qauwl4ti80jh.jpg