not using shampoo and using conditioner instead

Options
ktaqt3399
ktaqt3399 Posts: 141 Member
I have definatly been washing my hair more due to the sweatyness from the gym. I have been reading that a good alternative to using shampoo every day is to use just conditioner instead and only shampoo a couple times a week. Has anyone ever tried this? what were your results?

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Yep, do it all the time! I've had great results with it. Not greasy and still full of body!
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    I use sulfate free shampoo which is less harsh on your hair, sometimes over conditioning can weight my hair down. That might be another alternative for you.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    ditto -- been doing that for a long time..especially in the winter time. I get the Paul Mitchell conditioner and it's awesome!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Most conditioners have more than enough cleaners in them anyway. I alternate 'washing' with conditioner (I use Suave coconut, cheap and easy) and my regular shampoo/conditioner. This is especially helpful for those of us with naturally curly hair :smile:
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Im the opposite. I shampoo daily but only do conditioner a few times a week. Otherwise my hair is weighted down and no body.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this too and it works great. It took a few weeks to get used to but I have curly hair (which is straightened in my profile pic) and I actually like how the curls come out better on the second day. A good rinse and some conditioner is all you need on those off days.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair with shampoo every other day and on the "other" day I use conditioner. Sometimes I'll skip the wash and conditioner completely and just rinse with water.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I only wash my hair once a week and just use conditioner the rest of the time. Shampooing too often destroys my hair, not using conditioner means I can't brush it. It doesn't look greasy either. Conditioner does weigh it down, but in my case, that's a good thing.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on your hair. I wash with conditioner most days and shampoo about once a week; I have one daughter who needs to shampoo every other day and one who I only shampoo if she's been having a dirt-fight or something.

Anyway, you won't have dirty or smelly hair, you just need to experiment a bit to find out where you fall on the oil-vs-frizz continuum.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this too, because my hair is colored and also very long. I don't want constant shampooing to dry my hair or strip the color. I use conditioner every day, but I use shampoo maybe every other day.

I got curious and did a quick search for how often you should wash your hair. This article says 3-4 times per week is plenty.

http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/features/how-often-wash-hair
  • 75Juniper
    Options
    I think it depends on your hair type. I have dry, thick, wavy hair and using only conditioner is perfect for me. If I shampoo too often I end up with really frizzy hair. I use a conditioner for dry hair and a leave-in conditioner daily. Once a week I'll do a deep conditioning treatment. I use shampoo just once a week.

For some people, this is probably overkill. Experiment with different conditioners and with the frequency that you use shampoo until you find the perfect balance.
  • ktaqt3399
    ktaqt3399 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    definatly think im going to get some suave or v05 tonite and gonna start trying this.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    In the summertime, I sweat badly enough that I need to shampoo my hair each time I exercise. I don't think rinsing and conditioning my hair would do it then I'd be itchy the rest of the day.
  • Nica_LosN_It
    Nica_LosN_It Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My hair texture is totally different from yours. I am a natural diva (lol). Meaning that I do not have any chemicals in my hair. There is this process called co-washing. It is simply using a conditioner more often than shampooing. I use to wash my hair 3xs a week, but I was stripping it of its natural oils even with a "natural ingredient" shampoo, so now I co-wash 3 times a week and only shampoo once a week.
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I only use shampoo or conditioner on the days I use hair product (which isn't often) and sometimes not even then. Once or twice a week I use some baking soda mixed with water and that cleans things out as well as giving it extra body. Since I started doing this I feel my hair is a LOT healthier....but I imagine it wouldn't work for those that use hair products regularly....basically I only use shampoo if I want the lather or went swimming
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    I only wash my hair 3x a week- Mondays, wednesday, and saturday. On the days in between I use a treated conditioner for red colored hair and it doesn't weigh me down and I can blow dry it and style it just like normal. There are some days where I just rinse it *like friday*. I noticed it helped with the overall health of my hair and my scalp seems to be better since I changed my routine. I don't have an itch anymore or dandruff.
  • danner13
    danner13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for a while since I have curly hair. I normally do a conditioner wash (co-wash) to keep it moisturized and only use sulfate free shampoo otherwise my hair gets dry and unmanageable.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I only wash my hair once or twice a week because it's so damaged from coloring. I have good results with only using conditioner on the off days. I also use a healing hair oil before I blow-dry. Your hair will be healthier and won't be stripped of its natural oils if you don't wash it every day. If your hair looks a little greasy after a few days, brush it from root to tip (to distribute the oils) and put some baby powder on the roots or wear a hat. :flowerforyou:
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I do this! I like how my hair is after using just conditioner but I *have* to do a full wash the day after or my hair looks all greasy. If I wash with shampoo too often my hair looks dry and gets split ends easier.
  • Pancake86
    Options
    Use Dry shampoo spray its a god send, can not wash my hair up to 4 days.