not using shampoo and using conditioner instead

Options

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i am not very oily, so i wash my hair once a week (sundays) and brush the oils through during the week. it really depends on your personal chemistry. i do not condition unless i shampoo unless it is an extremely dry day. i sometimes use a pomade or moroccan oil on the ends to keep it shiny.

my suggestion would be to ensure that none of the products you use have alcohol in them (preventing dryness) and use a tiny bit of oil when necessary if dry, but see how many days you can go without shampooing.

eta: i use aveda shampoo & conditioner and yes, it's expensive, but because i only use it once a week, the large bottles last me about a year, putting my expense at about $5/mo.
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I tend to have oily hair and it is very straight and fine, although the quantity of hair itself is quite a lot. I do condition but maybe twice a week ... I do shampoo my hair every day except for days I am just lounging around (not very often these days!). I use an awesome orange peel solution. It's all natural and is actually a face masque, but can be used on hair as well to make it soft and manageable. No chemicals at all and I find my hair responds really well to it. I just leave it in for about 10 minutes, then shampoo as usual. I read somewhere about using a mixture of baking soda and apple cider vinegar as shampoo - it takes about a week for your hair to get used to it but then it works very well without any harsh chemicals. I haven't tried it yet but have been curious about it. Seems like it might be a little stinky though from the vinegar. :sick:
  • ktaqt3399
    ktaqt3399 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    thanks for the imput guys !
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I usually only shampoo once a week; but I'll rinse and put a little conditioner in a few more times than that. Especially now that I'm a brunette posing as a blond. Gotta fight the dry hair.
  • tru2m3
    tru2m3 Posts: 31
    Options
    Bump
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I wash once a week, but rinse out every day I work out & use a leave in conditioner on those days. During the summer or if I'm outside getting filthy, I'll shampoo more often.

I might try the co-wash for a while, see how it works... :)
  • ktaqt3399
    Options
    yeah definatly think im gonna try co washing and see how my hair reacts
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    It's never occurred to me to do this! I have dry hair so will definitely try it.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

That's your best bet! I definitely only wash my hair 2-3x a week because of how thick it is (washing it anymore makes it dry); but then, I tried the "curly girl" plan of sulfate free conditioner and my hair just didn't respond to me as well as it used to (my hair got greasy, when it never does, frizzy, etc.). Hair is oddly different for everyone, so you just have to try!
  • ktaqt3399
    Options

That's your best bet! I definitely only wash my hair 2-3x a week because of how thick it is (washing it anymore makes it dry); but then, I tried the "curly girl" plan of sulfate free conditioner and my hair just didn't respond to me as well as it used to (my hair got greasy, when it never does, frizzy, etc.). Hair is oddly different for everyone, so you just have to try!
    we will see how it goes went out last night and bought me some suave green apple conditioner.
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I've never thought about this. Maybe I'll try it sometime.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I don't use shampoo at all regularly. I will use a little bit if I've gotten hairspray or something in it, or want to colour it

Pic below is my hair approx 5 weeks no shampoo

2F330A48-78A9-499B-BDF6-4A05A166D007-108-0000000228D00572_zps8fc988ae.jpg
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I have to shampoo daily or my hair gets incredibly oily. I have started twisting it up in a t-shirt instead of towel drying and it makes my hair less frizzy and a lot softer.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I do that a few days a week now. When I was young I washed with shampoo every day, but at my current age (51) shampooing every day really dries out my hair. So every other day (or so) I just use conditioner.
  • ktaqt3399
    Options
    sounds like this works for alot of you
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm a curly haired gal so I co-wash and only use sulfate-free shampoo once a week. I also don't use products with silicone...makes it easier to wash product out of your hair with just conditioner.
  • sophasaurusxx
    Options
    Yeah i just wash my hair with conditioner every now and again. It makes my hair much softer than if i use both shampoo and conditioner, but then my hair will be a but oily like a day after, soo i tend to just wash my hair with conditioner when i dont have to leave the house the following day :laugh:
  • ironbutterf1y
    Options
    Bump!
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    honestly I havent...but...if you have super dry hair as I do, I honestly think it may make your hair just awesome, albeit slightly greasy.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    yeah it works great i usually condition all weekend just shower and condition then condition every other day on the week day.

oh and lots of blessings of health and luck to you and your little growing one