poll: do you...

Options
13»

Replies

• cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    measure, until i can trust myself visually knowing what the sizes should be (where my cereal should hit in the bowl, etc....)
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I weigh my food on a food scale. I've also found that if something says 1/4 cup or (XXX grams) that the grams may not equal the 1/4 cup. So I go by grams on the food scale.

I was overeating some things because I was using 1/4 cup instead of grams which was 50% more grams than the serving size on the package.

if any of that makes sense.

I do the same thing! I'll always go by grams whenever possible.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    It depends on what it is. If its a higher calorie item like salad dressing, mashed potatoes or meat I do measure. With vegetables I usually just kind of eye ball it. In the beginning I did measure almost every thing and then as i got used to looking at certain items I stopped measuring them. Especially salad. I know that my bowl I always use for supper hold about 3 cups(full) of chopped lettuce.

What she said. Measure the high cal, estimate the rest. No need to measure lettuce unless you're eating like 20 heads of lettuce a day...
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    What she said. Measure the high cal, estimate the rest. No need to measure lettuce unless you're eating like 20 heads of lettuce a day...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    20 heads a day? I'd be more worried about measuring my plumbing bill!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Measure when I can, estimate when I can't. #1 if I precisely measure at the house I can get more familiar with portions at home I'll be able to more closely estimate when I'm out.

Also if I'm measuring low calorie items (cup of cucumber, cup snap peas, etc) and I go a smidge over - I don't worry about it because it's a low calorie healthy item. Nuts and things I'm a little more strict with.
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    used to measure everything, now im getting better at accurately calculating amounts, but still need to go back and check from time to time

estimation really is something you improve with experience
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I would say both. But I just got a scale so now I also weigh.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I would say both. But I just got a scale so now I also weigh.