What diet worked for you?

Options
I would just like to know what kinda diet worked for those who has had major weightloss.Did you use diet pills,meal replacements,or did you make a total lifestyle change eating healthy?And how long did it take you to reach your goal weight?

Replies

• ejha77
    ejha77 Posts: 63
    Options
    Just everything in moderation. There are no miracle diets. You have to apply that mindset to your whole life, and not think in terms of being 'on' a diet (in my opinion).
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Alright I won't say my 23 lbs is major weight loss but I'm pretty proud of it.

#1 - PATIENCE! Don't stop trying and don't get frustrated. If you are logging correctly and eating healthy, you are on the right path. And know that for every person on here who will tell you to do it A-way, there will be another person telling the A-way is COMPLETELY wrong and you need to do it B-way. The truth is all bodies are different. But it takes time for you to figure out what works for you.

#2 - LOG EVERYTHING & ACCURATELY! And don't cheat yourself by estimating less than what you actually ate or estimating more than what you actually burned exercising. You won't fool your body. Get a good scale. After a while, you will get really good at eyeing what 4 ozs of meat looks like or 6 ozs of vegetables. Also, think about getting a heart rate monitor (HRM).

#3 - For me it a was a lifestyle tweak! Att he end of your day, look at your food diary. Are you still hungry? What high-calorie food did you eat that stands out? Could you replace that with a lower calorie option? For me, it was chipotle salads instead of a chipotle burrito, a low carb pita bread instead of a tortilla shell, a lettuce wrap instead of a sandwich. I also found that when I focused on eating below my carb goal, it was much easier to stay under my calorie goal. I still have my bad days. I still now and then will eat pizza & chips & nachos & ice cream & chocoalte & pie (yikes - i'm starting to drool!). But I'm not eating those foods everyday anymore and when I do, I still log them. Which I think helps me stop at one serving.

#4 - PROTEIN has really helped me curve my hunger cravings. I tried to do the 6 small meals with protein at every meal and it worked for me great! But it was alot of planning and I'm not that organized so now I drink a protein shake mid-morning and another mid afternoon. It is what worked for me. I actually changed my MFP goal for protein to be 40% (but that is me).

#5 - PLAN YOUR MEALS! Don't get caught without anything healthy around you. I'm a chip snacker so to battle this, I keep healthier options around - grapes, radishes, yogurt, goldfish crackers - and I keep my servings in check! I also prepare my lunches for the week on the weekend and store them in serving sizes - I like to bake boneless chicken breasts and store them in ziplock bags to take to work to put on my lettuce and I also like to make low fat/calorie soups and freeze my servings in their individual bowls.

#6 - WORKOUT! For me it is a must! Know your body. I feel better, I crave healthier foods, and it gave me more calories to eat:-) I always had exercised (at least 3 times a week), but I knew if I wanted to see results, I had to start going 6 times a week.

Drink lots of water, get plenty of sleep, and try not to stress out.
    This is my 5th time at losing weight in the last 2 years! I lost the same 15-20 lbs, got content and slipped into old eating habits and started to slack off on working out. I learned something from each set-back. I hope that I learned from my last set back to not stop & keep going! I'm the thinnest I've been in 9 years!

I started getting serious in mid September, so I've lost 23 lbs in 3 months! And, of course, it wasn't as fast as I wanted but I kept at it. You can do it! Good Luck!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

#1 - PATIENCE! Don't stop trying and don't get frustrated. If you are logging correctly and eating healthy, you are on the right path. And know that for every person on here who will tell you to do it A-way, there will be another person telling the A-way is COMPLETELY wrong and you need to do it B-way. The truth is all bodies are different. But it takes time for you to figure out what works for you.

#2 - LOG EVERYTHING & ACCURATELY! And don't cheat yourself by estimating less than what you actually ate or estimating more than what you actually burned exercising. You won't fool your body. Get a good scale. After a while, you will get really good at eyeing what 4 ozs of meat looks like or 6 ozs of vegetables. Also, think about getting a heart rate monitor (HRM).

#3 - For me it a was a lifestyle tweak! Att he end of your day, look at your food diary. Are you still hungry? What high-calorie food did you eat that stands out? Could you replace that with a lower calorie option? For me, it was chipotle salads instead of a chipotle burrito, a low carb pita bread instead of a tortilla shell, a lettuce wrap instead of a sandwich. I also found that when I focused on eating below my carb goal, it was much easier to stay under my calorie goal. I still have my bad days. I still now and then will eat pizza & chips & nachos & ice cream & chocoalte & pie (yikes - i'm starting to drool!). But I'm not eating those foods everyday anymore and when I do, I still log them. Which I think helps me stop at one serving.

#4 - PROTEIN has really helped me curve my hunger cravings. I tried to do the 6 small meals with protein at every meal and it worked for me great! But it was alot of planning and I'm not that organized so now I drink a protein shake mid-morning and another mid afternoon. It is what worked for me. I actually changed my MFP goal for protein to be 40% (but that is me).

#5 - PLAN YOUR MEALS! Don't get caught without anything healthy around you. I'm a chip snacker so to battle this, I keep healthier options around - grapes, radishes, yogurt, goldfish crackers - and I keep my servings in check! I also prepare my lunches for the week on the weekend and store them in serving sizes - I like to bake boneless chicken breasts and store them in ziplock bags to take to work to put on my lettuce and I also like to make low fat/calorie soups and freeze my servings in their individual bowls.

#6 - WORKOUT! For me it is a must! Know your body. I feel better, I crave healthier foods, and it gave me more calories to eat:-) I always had exercised (at least 3 times a week), but I knew if I wanted to see results, I had to start going 6 times a week.

This is my 5th time at losing weight in the last 2 years! I lost the same 15-20 lbs, got content and slipped into old eating habits and started to slack off on working out. I learned something from each set-back. I hope that I learned from my last set back to not stop & keep going! I'm the thinnest I've been in 9 years!

Word.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options

I started getting serious in mid September, so I've lost 23 lbs in 3 months! And, of course, it wasn't as fast as I wanted but I kept at it. You can do it! Good Luck!

Every single word of this, including the lower-carb/more-protein bit.

I started in April.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I ate at a calorie deficit and wore a red shirt on thursdays
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change.

Losing weight is easy. Keeping it off is hard. You can diet all you want, but unless you change your mindset on eating, sleeping, exercise, and food in general then it's not a lifestyle change and it's only temporary.
  • mominwi419
    Options
    Eat less, move more.

There is my diet in a nutshell.
  • fitnwhole
    Options

After so many failed attempts at "dieting" this is where I am. Save yourself the trouble of worrying about diets and follow everything mentioned above. SLOW AND STEADY :happy:
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I would just like to know what kinda diet worked for those who has had major weightloss.Did you use diet pills,meal replacements,or did you make a total lifestyle change eating healthy?And how long did it take you to reach your goal weight?

Diet pills=no
    Meal replacements=no
    Total lifestyle change=yes

I don't "diet". I don't do anything to achieve weight loss that I don't think I can maintain for the rest of my life. So I still eat pizza and bacon cheeseburgers and cookies and cheesecake and McDonalds, but not often. Make good choices more often than not, be patient (as mentioned by a pp), get up and moving and the rest takes care of itself. That's what works for me.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Oh, and trust me when I say that if you follow that list above, it will get easier. I hardly even think about it now; it's just habit.

Also, I feel a million percent better. I have absolutely no desire to go back to eating the way I did because I feel so much better. If you use the slow and steady approach, you'll get there too.

Like the previous poster said, though, I still eat junk food on occasion. This is my life, and I'm not going to give up the occasional treat. The trick was switching things like cupcakes and mac & cheese from "daily" to "occasionally". Eventually, your body starts craving it less often, and they become true treats instead of necessities.

The first 15 pounds were the hardest for me. After that, something switched, and now it's my lifestyle instead of a new project/challenge. If you have the patience to lose the first 15-20, I guarantee you'll start seeing time and numbers slipping by faster and faster.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Diets are only temporary. Slow and steady win the race.
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I ate at a calorie deficit and wore a red shirt on thursdays

Dang it. I wore my red shirt on Friday. Found my error.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Take things one step at a time. I would recommend eating normally and logging carefully on here for a week or two. You might find some bad habits that stand out that you may not have even realized. Then make one change at a time so that it isn't overwhelming. But here are some things you shouldn't do:

1. Don't expect to lose weight quickly. You didn't put the weight on in a night, and it won't come off in a night.
    2. Don't fall for "lose weight quick" gimmicks. The only way to lose weight is to eat fewer calories than you burn.
    3. Don't under-eat. There's a tendency to say, "I am on a diet, so now all I will eat is salad, and I will only eat 600 calories a day." This is unnecessary suffering, and you will either give up or your body will freak out and your weight loss will stall. Instead, go to the BMR calculator in the apps section of the website, and make sure to eat that number of calories each day for optimal health.
    4. Don't give up. Everyone has days where they go overboard, or aren't feeling well, or whatever. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and realize that every day is a new day.
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Agreed. It's a lifestyle, not a diet.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    counting calories and exercising.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well I'm still working on it. But I've never gotten this far with diet fads. This was moderation, determination, hard work, and perserverance. I had to learn to accept that this would not happen quickly. I'm about 8 months into year 2. And I don't expect to be where I want to be until somewhere close to the end of year 3.

I'm in it for the long haul. You should be too.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit cleanse
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Never went on a diet in my life.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more.