What diet worked for you?

Options

Replies

• 4mydogs
    4mydogs Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I started at 317 and have lost 35 pounds, to me a lifestyle change had to happen. I changed the way I eat and now eat healthy foods and log log log each day. Also excercise has been a major part of my change as well. I focus on eating healthy foods, lean meats, fish, fruits, veggies and whole grains. I walk my dog each day and no longer log that as excercise just a daily activity and commit to working out 5/x week for an hour. I know that each day I need to commit to this lifestyle change, and that I can easily slip back into bad habits. My humble opinion diets don't work, they are temporary measures, we have to eat each day so lifestyle change is the way to go.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I ate at a calorie deficit and wore a red shirt on thursdays

This. Except I wore pink.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 pounds off the insulin resistance diet. Even if you're not pre-diabetic, limiting your carbohydrate intake and increasing your protein will still work. I eat a 15g carbs to 7g protein diet. I can still eat the majority of what I want, it has really taught me portion control.

I also LOG everything!

Diets don't work, but life style changes do. =) Good luck!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    First off, I didn't call it a diet. Diet is a short-term word. It's a lifestyle change:)

I did 4 things. Portion Control, Moderation, Substitution and Exercise. Doing these things left me satisfied and I never binged once. I still had most of my favourite things, but I watched my portion and it was all in moderation. The only thing I completely gave up was Soda(and I do not miss it). I exercise atleast 4 times a week, and strength training as well. And for all my not-so-good for me snacks(like chips, and ice cream) I found substitutions. Like Kale chips, air-popped popcorn, pop chips, frozen yogurt with fresh berries, etc.

I hope this helps!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I lost 26 lbs in 5 months when I turned 40; I went from 139 to 113. It was a lifestyle change. I still exercise and eat healthfully most of the time but when I don't, I see the weight coming back.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION - I did the 3-day diet for the first time in 1981. It was incredible. I kept doing it for about 5 years and stopped. Gained my weight back, and in 1988 my boss started talking about it and said he was gonna do it. So we both started all over again and kept our weight down. After he left, I stopped. Man did I get fat. I started MFP in 2011 (another account name) and I lost 26 pounds in two years, cause its not strict enough for someone like me. The only reason I am not doing the 3-day diet is because I HATE IT. I say by the time I get my medicare I will have lost the weight on MFP. This site is great, I am the one who is messed up. Thanks, that was an interesting question you asked.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I hear this only works if you tear the shirt of Hulk style every Friday.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Paleo/Clean eating diet
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

This. Except I wore pink.

Me too GUUUUURRRRLLLLLL
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Total lifestyle change. Diets don't last because as soon as you think you're "done", you will go right back to your old eating habits. Build the change and you will become accustomed to it.

It took me just about a year to lose my 120'ish and I have been staying evened out for two months.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Paleo/Clean eating diet

I thought you were on the doughnut-fueled frenzy diet?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change. "dieting," as a verb is short term..."diet" as a noun is forever. Not only am I watching my calories and maintaining a deficit to lose weight, I'm also managing my macro nutritents; much of this is to make sure I'm losing fat and not muscle, but it's also helped me make smarter decisions in RE to what I'm putting in my body. That's not to say that I don't have a cookie or cake or whatever from time to time...they're just not routine parts of my diet anymore. I get the majority of my carbs from fruit, vegetables, and whole grains these days...I've significantly upped my protein and I try to keep it lean for the most part (though I do have a juicy steak pretty much every week at some point)...and I get my healthy fats from olive oil, canola oil, nuts, avacado, and other sources of healthy fat. I've also re-introduced myself to the concept of exercise...I don't do it for weight loss...diet for weight control, exercise for fitness. I'm nowhere near what I would call fit, but I'm a lot better off than I was a couple of months ago when I started all of this. Cardio and weight/resistance training...you should be doing both.

Eating this way has made me much more balanced and I feel great. I'm on a 1 Lb per week plan and I'm right on track. It's slow, you have to be patient. You have to remember that you didn't put the weight on over night...it may seem that way, but that's not the way it happend. You're not going to shed it overnight either.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Paleo/Clean eating diet

You must be mistaken, donuts have carbs and sugar which make you fat
  • Katy_G2013
    Katy_G2013 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Eat right and exercise. I've cut out sweet treats, except on occasion. I eat at my deficit, I exercise (both cardio and strength training) and I am seeing major differences already. I'm down 7 lbs and my body is shaping up quite nicely. I still have a ways to go, but I'm on the right track.

Stay away from diet pills, meal replacements, etc. They are not realistically maintainable.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Paleo/Clean eating diet

this for me too ...but really its a lifestyle change, new way of eating for life, not temporary fad diets....eat healthy, eat right portions and move more. exercise!!!! .
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    Paleo/Clean eating diet

Silly me, and I thought you were on the ice cream diet.
  • tonya_2010
    tonya_2010 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would just like to know what kinda diet worked for those who has had major weightloss.Did you use diet pills,meal replacements,or did you make a total lifestyle change eating healthy?And how long did it take you to reach your goal weight?
    Eat less, move more.

Perfect
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Since April or March, I lost 26 lbs, down to 108, which is me in my profile pic, by eating cleaner, and sticking to 1200 cals a day. Recently I've slowed way down in weight loss, because I'm so close to my goal, but it's still working!
  • Acg67
    Options
    Paleo/Clean eating diet

Dairy is only for baby mammals, and I am not a baby mammal. So no ice cream for me
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    Paleo/Clean eating diet

Dairy is only for baby mammals, and I am not a baby mammal. So no ice cream for me

Shhh, you're ruining the fantasy.