Best way to incorporate protein powder.

Options
I've been having a hard time getting in enough protein.
I'm looking for the best ways to use protein powder that
you guys have discovered.

p.s. I'm not a fan of smoothies.

Replies

• mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You can put it in lots of stuff... pancakes, oatmeal, yogurt, baked stuff. Mix it in with the dry, or if the recipe calls for milk or water, you could mix it in there. Sometimes you need to reduce a little flour to compensate for the extra powder... my first protein pancakes were a little chewy.
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Do you use pancake mix?

I'd love a recipe if you have one. (:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Do you use pancake mix?

1.5 cups of fage plain greek yogurt
    mix in a scoop of chocolate protein powder
    in freezer for 20-30 minutes

tastes like chocolate pudding

about 40 g of protein
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The BEST way is not at all.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Just try it mixed with the correct amount of water. The stuff I drink tastes fine on its own and I sure wouldn't call it a smoothie or a shake.
    Usually I blend it with a half cup of frozen mixed berries. Starting to approach "smoothie" or "shake". ..... But hardly.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

for you....yes.....but we are not you

for people wanting to maintain their muscle mass or increase their muscle mass, protein is required
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I use two brands of protein powder as like you I don't get nearly enough from my diet.

First one I use is Body Fortress Chocolate which I only use to make homemade protein bars. Protein powder, oatmeal, cocoa, and some water.

The second one I use is Muscle Maxx vanilla. For this one I use a milk frother and mix it into my morning coffee. It is so good and tastes just like a vanilla latte from a coffee house.

Both of these are great if you don't like smoothies or shakes. I have also added protein powder in things I have baked. Unflavoured protein powders can be added to anything! I have added it to sauces, gravies, etc and so far haven't found one that hasn't tasted great.

Experiment a bit until you find something you love.
  • now_or_never12
    Options

Protein powder is a great addition to a diet that doesn't get enough protein from foods. I use it for that reason. I am vegetarian and besides eggs I don't eat anything that has a decent amount of protein in it so powders help me meet that macro.
  • CloverCreeper
    Options
    Do you use pancake mix?

about 40 g of protein

That sounds pretty awesome.
    Thanks for the tip!

Do you have any suggestions for
    the protein powder?
  • now_or_never12
    Options
    Do you use pancake mix?

about 40 g of protein

I second this idea! I take plain greek yogurt (or strained regular yogurt) and mix in protein powder as well. Plain yogurt, honey and some vanilla protein powder is a great snack or quick and small breakfast.
  • now_or_never12
    Options
    Do you use pancake mix?

I have used it in pancakes and I just take a normal pancake recipe and reduce the amount of flour by the amount of protein powder I put in. My scoop is 1/4 cup so I just reduce the flour by 1/4 cup.
  • CloverCreeper
    Options

Protein powder is a great addition to a diet that doesn't get enough protein from foods. I use it for that reason. I am vegetarian and besides eggs I don't eat anything that has a decent amount of protein in it so powders help me meet that macro.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    I'm vegetarian, also.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I suggest putting it in your mouth. If you don't like it, buy a non-crappy brand. Get some Myofusion or even better, Trutein.
  • CloverCreeper
    Options
    Just try it mixed with the correct amount of water. The stuff I drink tastes fine on its own and I sure wouldn't call it a smoothie or a shake.
    Usually I blend it with a half cup of frozen mixed berries. Starting to approach "smoothie" or "shake". ..... But hardly.

Thanks! (:
  • Rocbola
    Options

for people wanting to maintain their muscle mass or increase their muscle mass, protein is required
    Protein is required. Protein powder is not.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Do you use pancake mix?

about 40 g of protein

That sounds pretty awesome.
    Thanks for the tip!

Do you have any suggestions for
    the protein powder?

for a really thicker protein you can use micellar creme casein by syntrax
    or MRM chocolate whey

MRM whey is pretty inexpensive and the vanilla and chocolate mix well and are tasty

I dont care for the MRM casein though

I buy all my protein online either thru amazon.com or any one having the best sale

I also mix the vanilla protein powder into oatmeal on the days I eat oatmeal
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    As someone mentioned above, I sometimes use it with Greek yogurt to make protein pudding. It's also not bad stirred into melty ice cream. Tonight I mixed mine with water because we are out of milk. It wasn't the most delicious thing in the world, but it was okay.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Protein is required. Protein powder is not.

no offense dude but I know you think you get enough protein from fruit and veggies and that just is not true
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Do you use pancake mix?

omg...that is like a protein extravaganza. This going to be my breakfast.

about 40 g of protein
  • Rocbola
    Options

If eggs are your only source of protein, you will have other deficiencies that a protein powder wont fix. Get as many greens in your diet as possible, in whatever way you want: soups, salads, juices, smoothies, steamed, raw, whatever it takes. Get as many fruits as you can, too. If you are eating a whole foods diet with fruits and vegetables as the base, you will not need protein supplements.