Foods to stay away from/ minimize?

Options
13»

Replies

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    2 months ago I was 125 and now I'm 137, the holidays came around and I got really off track. Especially with all the sweets at work. One thing I have noticed though is that I drink milk all the time and lots of bread, should I try cutting them out more? I have really limited the sweets but with working out I feel like I should be losing more. Thanks in advance!

Some simple advice is no liquid calories (milk, juice, soda, etc), no sweets (1 time per week maybe), and limit your refined carbohydrates like bread, pasta, pastry, etc. At least you are catching it now.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Yeah, pretty sure I wasn't "admitting that they are not healthy" - my view of healthy is obviously much different than yours.

And I'm still waiting for the links to the research......
    Keep waiting. He has to pull them out of his *kitten*.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Both dairy and bread would be something to avoid/minimize.

Also:
    oils
    refined grains
    sugars
    meats (especially processed)
    salt
    food chemicals

Or you could just try eating in moderation and only cutting out the things that do not fit in your calorie/macro goals.
    That is an acceptable answer. By wanting to limit the amounts of these items, you are at least admitting to yourself that they are not healthy. The other guy said simply that they were "fine" which i don't agree with.

By limiting any of the above in a diet is not someone necessarily admitting they are not healthy to consume. You think the above are unhealthy to eat... the majority of people on this planet would disagree with you.

Yeah, pretty sure I wasn't "admitting that they are not healthy" - my view of healthy is obviously much different than yours.

Shhhh! Listen, I can hear it now . . . Mercola is coming! The keeper of all that is holy and the savior of all mankind . . .

Now back to my ice cream.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options

He is also very strongly vegan. WHile I do understand the vegan lifestyle and diet and have no issues with those who choose to follow that lifestyle due to their needs or beliefs, they shouldn't be pushing it on everyone else by saying a healthy diet only contains fruits and vegetables.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

He is also very strongly vegan. WHile I do understand the vegan lifestyle and diet and have no issues with those who choose to follow that lifestyle due to their needs or beliefs, they shouldn't be pushing it on everyone else by saying a healthy diet only contains fruits and vegetables.

I know he is - I've seen his posts numerous times. I have absolutely no problem with people chosing to be vegetarian, vegan, paleo, etc. Everyone has the right to chose an intake style that suits their needs and beliefs.

I just want to know WHY he thinks all those foods are inherently bad - for everyone. I know he has no research, I'm just hoping that someone reading this will put 2 and 2 together and make a decision based on common sense, not sensationalism.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

I know he is - I've seen his posts numerous times. I have absolutely no problem with people chosing to be vegetarian, vegan, paleo, etc. Everyone has the right to chose an intake style that suits their needs and beliefs.

I just want to know WHY he thinks all those foods are inherently bad - for everyone. I know he has no research, I'm just hoping that someone reading this will put 2 and 2 together and make a decision based on common sense, not sensationalism.

Y'all may have put it a little better than I did....... maybe.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Y'all may have put it a little better than I did....... maybe.

Oh no, I liked your summary of the situation too :laugh:
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    cocaine?
  • ved8301
    ved8301 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Stick to low fat or fat free dairy - I love skim milk and nonfat greek yogurt (tons of protein!).

Unless it's a special treat, I don't eat any grains that aren't whole grain. Basically stay away from refined white breads and cookies, cakes, etc.

Just be aware of what you're eating and how it helps (or doesn't help) your body and you'll be moving in the right direction.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Stick to low fat or fat free dairy - I love skim milk and nonfat greek yogurt (tons of protein!).

Unless it's a special treat, I don't eat any grains that aren't whole grain. Basically stay away from refined white breads and cookies, cakes, etc.

Just be aware of what you're eating and how it helps (or doesn't help) your body and you'll be moving in the right direction.

Fat free dairy is gross and unnecessary unless you have some medical reason to limit fat or you can't make the calories fit. Which, by the way, you should make them fit because fat is good for you and extremely satiating- it makes it EASIER to stick to a lower calorie diet.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

There's a difference believing in a lifestyle and another where confirmation bias rules your thoughts. For example to belief the vegan lifestyle sometimes people need to find fault in everything that isn't vegan, it helps convince themselves that their doing the right thing. It's easy to see this behavior because there's very little to no science to back up the claims, but trudges head first regardless, believing they know a secret that nobody else know. Then again their are vegans that understand science as well as the next person and won't embarrass themselves with the canned dogma associated with vegan and they simply understand it's just one of the choices in life. I find the paleo community similar in their convictions.