Do you have a bringalong/potluck specialty

Options
2»

Replies

• dunadan
    dunadan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    We have a few specialties:

Little Smokie Wraps (dead simple: cut a sheet of crescent roll dough into small triangles and wrap around each smokie, then bake for 10 minutes)
    Bacon-wrapped dates (the carmelized sugar in the dates with the crispy-salty-meaty goodness of bacon...oh man)
    The Big Salad (we make a huge version of caesar or an Italian chop)

My wife makes the best pies in the world: berry, apple, pecan, and my favorite, pumpkin. Fresh pumpkin, a three-generations-old crust recipe, topped with real whipped cream. After having a slice of this pie, you'll never want to buy another store-bought pumpkin pie again..Costco? Please, those mass-produced boxed things are an insult to the perfection in baking that comes out of our oven. :)
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    OptimisticallyO-
    Simplified, chuck a pork shoulder in a crockpot for 8 hours with some onions and a couple of sliced pears, at the 2nd hour pour in a combination of a BBQ sauce of your choice, brown sugar and vinegar to taste and half a bottle of a sweet pear cider. At the 6th hour use two forks to shred the pork.
    Return shredded meat to the crockpot along with the rest of the pear cider.
    Make or buy a puff pastry, I use a Jaffle pie maker so you just chuck the pastry and filling in and away you go.
    After the pie is cooked heat some butter and brown sugar in a skillet with a dash more cider. Get it nice and hot and throw in some pear slices, fry until crisp and place on top of the pies

As you can see, this is a 'treat' food!
  • hecham
    hecham Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic!
    This year I have been bringing brussle sprout and raddish skewers to potlucks. Just roast them with EVOO and put a little sea salt on top. Potlucks are always short on veggies.
    People always ask me to bring my raspberry phyllo bites: Mini phyllo cups filled with brei and raspberry jam, topped with a fresh raspberry and baked. Yum!
  • Mutant13
    Options
    Oh I'm also using the leftover pastry to do 'Reindeer Poop' for the kids. You just scrunch the pastry into a "log" and bake it, then dip in chocolate (crushed peanuts are optional, but they add realism) and serve once cooled. They love it!
  • Mutant13
    Options
    Hecham- love the veggie skewers!
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I make a really fatty rich delish spinach artichoke dip that always disappears pretty quickly. :happy:
  • kwatkin
    kwatkin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me at work potlucks! I only did a broccoli salad once or twice, and then i went to think of what to sign up for and they're like "well, aren't you bringing your usual? we love it!" so, why not! so simple though :)
    i tried something new this year though and i imagine it will become my usual... mini twice baked potatoes :) yum and cute!
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If I have time to pull out all the stops, i make these croquettes....you can use any kind of meat, add mushed sweet potato, some cheese, whatever kind of spice you like with a little butter. then you roll them in ground up almonds and walnuts, fry those suckers. serve it with some creamy sriracha dip.
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Green bean haystacks!!! I wrap green beans in bacon - add brown sugar and butter bake in the oven and they are wonderful!!! to lower calories, you can use turkey bacon and light butter. I usually just lightly layer the bottom in little pats of butters and then place the wrapped green beans then sprinkle with brown sugar!!!
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I make a really fatty rich delish spinach artichoke dip that always disappears pretty quickly. :happy:

recipe please
  • mmjohal
    mmjohal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cheese Bread

1 pkg cream cheese
    3 tablespoons of salsa
    1 French Bread
    2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
    Cilantro

In a food processor, mix the cream cheese and salsa until is blended well. Use a pizza tray or any baking tray and lightly grease with olive oil. Slice the french bread diagonally. Spread the cream cheese mix onto the french bread slices and place on the pan. Top with shredded cheese and some cilantro (garnish). Bake in the oven for 5-7 minues at 350 degrees. Broil for 1 minute (to make the cheese golden brown). These are so yummy, easy and a huge hit at parties.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Turkey Chili - although for this year's company party, it's Turkey/Chicken Chili

eta: Even though I'm sure most know how to make chili why not put my own "recipe" in here?

1lb each of 93/7 ground turkey and lean (no idea the ratio) ground chicken
    2 habanero peppers -one per pound of meat
    1 cubanelle pepper
    1 bell pepper - red, orange, yellow - NOT GREEN!
    1 small or medium onion - depends on how much onion you like
    2 cups beans - black, red, great northern, or pinto
    3 cups crushed and/or diced tomatoes
    1/4 cup chili powder
    1/8 cup crushed red pepper
    salt, pepper, garlic powder, and other spices to taste

Brown the meat with salt and pepper and garlic powder; drain, and put into crock pot.
    Chop onions and peppers and put into crock pot.
    Add precooked beans, tomatoes, and everything else to crock pot.
    Cook on low (although my low is too hot, so I use "Keep Warm"), stirring until heated through.
    Let chili come to room temperature and then put in refrigerator overnight.
    Reheat in crock pot the next day and enjoy.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    A vegetable tray from whatever grocery store is open on the way to the party. Or a case of beer.
  • Mac_X
    Mac_X Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Pepper-bacon wrapped boneless country-style ribs w/sauce. Muenster Jack mac n cheese. (Muenster and Monterrey jack)