5"11 and 1200 calories!

Options

Replies

• twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You have already posted a topic about this..

Maybe wait to carry on getting lots of replies on the first topic?

Here is your first topic post maybe 1 hour ago....

Hi everyone,

I only recently joined this website and downloaded the app (and it's amazing!) I am 5"11 and 195 lbs. I am looking to go down to 145 lbs. The app is telling me to intake 1200 calories a day. I did this today (I have about 160 calories left) and I am already starving.

My only concern is - how will I maintain this weight? I go to the gym everyday and run for about 30 mins, and do weight training for another 30. I worry about maintenance because I have seen many people lose weight and gain it back right away.

Any advice would help.

I appreciate all of it.

Thanks!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating between 1400 and 1600 and a little more on the days you exercise. Im tall too and we actually need fuel to be ABLE to burn off excess fat. The only way to give your body what it needs to do that, is making sure we arent on a calorie plan for someone who is either half our height (by half, I mean 5'5" or under) or is much less active than we are!

Best of luck!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    PS there isn't anything wrong with posting in different areas to get advice from different demographics, pretty smart. A bunch of tall girls on this site formed groups, you can go in there and they can let you know alot of the advice they've ventured into the forums and collected already, and you can search for other people your height who have posted this too.

:drinker:
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options

Hi everyone,

I only recently joined this website and downloaded the app (and it's amazing!) I am 5"11 and 195 lbs. I am looking to go down to 145 lbs. The app is telling me to intake 1200 calories a day. I did this today (I have about 160 calories left) and I am already starving.

My only concern is - how will I maintain this weight? I go to the gym everyday and run for about 30 mins, and do weight training for another 30. I worry about maintenance because I have seen many people lose weight and gain it back right away.

Any advice would help.

I appreciate all of it.

Thanks!

THEY'RE ALSO IN DIFFERENT AREAS. She can ask for help as much as she wants. That's what forums are for.
  • CoachJake83
    Options
    Don't use the app to figure out your calories or track your exercise. Only use it to track your calorie / macros. Use this --> http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ to figure out your calories. Hope that helps =D
  • twinketta
    Options

Hi everyone,

Any advice would help.

I appreciate all of it.

Thanks!

THEY'RE ALSO IN DIFFERENT AREAS. She can ask for help as much as she wants. That's what forums are for.

Of course she can. No need to shout hun!

I am just suggesting that the OP waits for responses to the same question that she asked earlier before asking the same question.

I am all for people asking for advice and help
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options

Hi everyone,

Any advice would help.

I appreciate all of it.

Thanks!

Of course she can. No need to shout hun!

I am just suggesting that the OP waits for responses to the same question that she asked earlier before asking the same question.

I am all for people asking for advice and help

Wasn't shouting. And I was just saying, you point out that she posted it twice, but she posted it in different sections as to yield more answers. Doesn't mean she's being impatient.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If you had 100+ lbs to lose then setting your goal at 2lbs a week is more realistic. You should redo your settings and go for 1 lb a week.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    The 1200 calories includes what you burn exercising, so you will probably eat about 1600 or more.
  • twinketta
    Options
    FYI if you type in cap lock then it is considered shouting.

But I was suggesting to the OP that she post her topic and wait for some answers to her question before starting a new topic of the same question.

Of course it is up to her to ask for as much help as she would like from the forum, but sometimes it is better to answer the people that have replied to the first topic before posting a new topic of the same question.

That way it has more replies and gets better responses?
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options

But I was suggesting to the OP that she post her topic and wait for some answers to her question before starting a new topic of the same question.

Of course it is up to her to ask for as much help as she would like from the forum, but sometimes it is better to answer the people that have replied to the first topic before posting a new topic of the same question.

Caps lock was on, just didn't change the first sentence once I realized it. Sorry you take everything so seriously, i'll be careful not to shout next time.

And as I was saying before, she posted them in different sections. Some people pay more attention to one section than others. Some people might have seen her first post but never see the second b/c they don't check all sections of the forum and some may have seen her second, but never seen the first b/c they don't check the first section. Though, i'm sure they will now b/c you pointed it out.

But, who cares. It's her choice to post what she wants, and ask for help as many times as she wants in however many sections she wants.

The end.
  • purple396
    Options
    I am about the same and I have mine set to 1.5 lbs a week but my goal is 175... my calorie goal is 1650 per week. I would say set your goal for 1 lbs a week so that you don't starve and start to binge when you are too hungry.

Also I find that it helps to go for long light walks that will give you calories burned and a little more wiggle room to eat what you want, without making you more hungry ie a hard 45 minute workout.

I find it much more sustainable to do 1-1.5 lbs a week.

ALSO once you are at your goal weight you change your goal to maintenance which will give you more calories per day so you dont have to worry about sustaining the lifestyle because you wont be cutting anymore.
  • twinketta
    Options

Caps lock was on, just didn't change the first sentence once I realized it. Sorry you take everything so seriously, i'll be careful not to shout next time.

And as I was saying before, she posted them in different sections. Some people pay more attention to one section than others. Some people might have seen her first post but never see the second b/c they don't check all sections of the forum and some may have seen her second, but never seen the first b/c they don't check the first section. Though, i'm sure they will now b/c you pointed it out.

But, who cares. It's her choice to post what she wants, and ask for help as many times as she wants in however many sections she wants.

The end.

I accept your half hearted apology. I really was not wanting to start a war and I am sorry that you found my comment upsetting.

And may the OP get all the answers she needs.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    I think I will be bumping mine up too. Do your stats include exercise? I'm confused as to why 6 days of 45 min excercise would still leave me with 1200 calories..

Intended exercise calories are not included in your goal which is why you are supposed to eat them when you exercise. Just eating 1200 calories a day at you height with that amount of exercise is asking for problems. Frankly, if you want to include your exercise calories I would use this approach http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    whoa! so low! I'm 5'1 and eat 1200 calories. :D
  • vnovit
    vnovit Posts: 101
    Options
    Thank you for all of your help!!
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    It puts everyone at that.... You have to go find a sight and calculate how much you burn a day to just maintain, then subtract about 200 calories from that, and thats your deficit. Ohh, and always eat you exersize calories back!

Good luck! :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    whoa! so low! I'm 5'1 and eat 1200 calories. :D

That's low too. I'm 5'1 and eating 1600. Except on huge cal burn days then I eat up to 1800-2000.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's retarded. How many lbs per week do you have your loss set for?

Little back story: I'm 5'11 myself. I came to MFP to lose the last 10 pounds - that ended up more than 20, but you know how that is. Anywho, losing 1lbs per week MFP had me on 1440, which really is doable. I was fine on it. Lost 6 pounds in 3 weeks...then for the next 3 weeks I lost nothing. I read the forums and decided to up my calories. I ate between 1500-1600 calories and lost like a champ, 1 lb a week. I was at goal in no time. I decided to keep eating like that during the summer and up my exercise. Started running, did more weights. Before I knew it I was 143. Now, 143 doesn't look good on me - actually needed to gain weight before going on maintainance. I'm now holding between 147-150 which, to me, is a perfect weight. I'm eating 1900 calories a day and I haven't been to the gym since Summer. Lazy I know, but I found what works for me. (BTW my heaviest weight was around where yours is. I made the decision to lose the weight instead of buying 16's).

Moral of this long winded story? You can eat more and lose weight. Especially at our size.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It puts everyone at that.... You have to go find a sight and calculate how much you burn a day to just maintain, then subtract about 200 calories from that, and thats your deficit. Ohh, and always eat you exersize calories back!

Good luck! :)

No, it doesn't.

And to lose a pound a week you subtract 500 cals a day from maintenance. At least you're right about eating calories back.