I need a Mexican dish for a Christmas party

Options
I need a Mexican dish for a christmas party and I want to keep my diet on track, know any good for you mexican dishes?

Replies

• The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    beef barbacoa!!!
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I make enchiladas. My husband likes the filling to be ground beef but you can easily use ground turkey to save calories. Also, instead of white flour tortillas I use the multigrain or whole wheat. My hubby doesnt like the corn ones or that could be an alternative as well. I use shredded part skim mozz cheese instead of something like Monterey Jack. And I just go ahead and use over the counter enchilada sauce from any supermarket. They are pretty easy to put together and bake in about 15-20 min.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I make enchiladas. My husband likes the filling to be ground beef but you can easily use ground turkey to save calories. Also, instead of white flour tortillas I use the multigrain or whole wheat. My hubby doesnt like the corn ones or that could be an alternative as well. I use shredded part skim mozz cheese instead of something like Monterey Jack. And I just go ahead and use over the counter enchilada sauce from any supermarket. They are pretty easy to put together and bake in about 15-20 min.

The look on my face right now

D:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Escamole is high in protein and low in calories.
  • AyySixPack
    AyySixPack Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This probably won't help keep the diet in check but hey it's Christmas enjoy some holiday with your family thas why I suggest making TAMALES!!!
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    This probably won't help keep the diet in check but hey it's Christmas enjoy some holiday with your family thas why I suggest making TAMALES!!!

MMMM....tamales!
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has a lot of dishes that are spicy and delicious (like pulled pork). I would check them out!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    What about these:

400_F_34306413_BPWxZnQjgnco9ZdHm30c4Yso31LUjxzk.jpg
  • _TEMPEST_
    Options
    Texas Caviar (with Scoops or tortillas on the side)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/texas-caviar-i/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=texas caviar&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page

It's healthy, portable, you can make it ahead of time, and everyone LOVES it!
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Tequila.
  • Nauti_Buoy
    Options
    Salma Heyek!
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I love chicken enchiladas, but instead of corn tortillas, I put them in zucchini boats. So filling and low calorie. I think skinny taste has a recipe.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options

The look on my face right now

D:
    ehh well I AM mexican. My mom makes the old school handmade tortillas, with homemade sauce and the works. It's a lot of work so I changed them up a bit to fit my lifestyle. it works for me and the hubby loves them.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've made won ton baskets - http://www.grouprecipes.com/86241/wonton-baskets.html - and filled them with what's pretty much the filling for Chili's SW Eggrolls, cooked in a crock pot. Chicken breast, cut into small pieces, black beans, corn, spinach, bell pepper, tomato, ground cumin, cheese, then topped with a slice of jalapeno.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Carnitas. Cheap, easy, crowd pleaser.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Somebody posted a chicken black bean bake on here...
  • MalindaLeigh714
    MalindaLeigh714 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    haha you guys are hilarious, thanks for all the feedback!
  • vkruithof
    vkruithof Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    8 oz cream cheese room temp. (fat free, light whatever)
    16-24 oz sour cream (fat free, light whatever)
    1 pkg taco seasoning (low sodium)

blend together

you can layer this into a 9x13 baking pan and use it as a taco dip, you can top it with light shredded cheese (or not, it's great alone)

you can also sprinkle the following on top:

guacamole
    refried beans
    chives (fresh cut from the long stemmed green onions)
    tomatoes (diced small)
    sliced black olives
    chopped red onions

This is amazing and always a big hit. You can get low cal, blue chips or be creative with something low sodium. Good luck!
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    enchiladas are not high in calories if u make the sauce urself... :) or u can make a mexican soup... message me through mail if u need a recipe... i cook mexican food alot... and its not high in fat as much as if u were to get it out...
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Enchiladas with flour tortillas? That's Tex-Mex. Stop it.