I need a Mexican dish for a Christmas party

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe once for albondigas (meatballs)once that was really good. Usually served in soup, but these were just served alone with tomato/adobo sauce and chilis. Really good. If you're avoiding something high-calorie, stay away from dishes with cheese. Cheese calories add up REALLY fast.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Carnitas. Cheap, easy, crowd pleaser.
    With corn tortillas, a nice salsa and guacamole for taco-making. Dios mio... I need carnitas now.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Here's something simple: a beef mix with Mexican flavors.
    Brown 1 lb ground beef
    Saute with the meat 1 diced red bell pepper, 1 diced onion, 5 diced mushrooms (or a handful of presliced)
    Optional: 8 oz can of corn, drained.
    Mix in 1 can RoTel with jalapenos and 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
    Sprinkle in black pepper, red pepper flakes, cumin and oregano
    Simmer for 1/2 hr (15 mins uncovered, 15 mins covered)
    Great for folding into tortillas with some cheese and shredded lettuce!
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    salsa and baked chips to dip in it....but I like the chicken enchilada's too...which is what we are having tonight.
  • fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Taquitos (baked, not fried)

Warm the corn tortilla to make it easier to roll. Fill with chicken breast, green chili, and cheese. Roll and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. 100 or so calories per taquito depending on the filling you use. Corn tortillas have around 50 calories each and normally less sodium than flour tortillas.
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    Our work party is tomorrow and is centered around a "Mexican theme" as well, and since I work with all men they demand high fat, high cal food...so I am making a "layered" dip with Old El Paso FAT FREE Refried beans, 2% sharp shredded cheese, fat free sour cream, salsa and lettuce/black olives on top....not too many calories but still really good. Now I eat mine with thin triscuits instead of tortilla chips....its still about portion so hopefully that gives you an easy quick idea! :)
  • greatm31
    Options
    1) Refried beans. Easy and always a hit. Melt 1tbsp butter in a pan on medium, saute garlic+red pepper flakes, then add diced onion and saute until translucent, then 2-3 cans of pinto beans (be sure to rinse them first). Let them heat up a bit, then mash with a potato masher, adding water if they dry out. Add a few shakes of cumin and salt as needed. For extra creamy throw them in a blender after they've cooled down. For extra flavor, chop up a dried or canned chipotle (be sure to remove seeds from the dried one or only use a little of the canned one, those things are really spicy) and add with the garlic at the beginning.

2) If you want a full meal idea, this is really good and pretty easy:
    http://missykeneally.blogspot.com/2010/08/pork-tinga.html
  • green022
    green022 Posts: 115
    Options
    Texas Caviar (with Scoops or tortillas on the side)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/texas-caviar-i/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=texas caviar&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page

It's healthy, portable, you can make it ahead of time, and everyone LOVES it!

Had it and I LOVE IT!!!! awesome suggestion
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    Options
    Taquitos (baked, not fried)

Warm the corn tortilla to make it easier to roll. Fill with chicken breast, green chili, and cheese. Roll and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. 100 or so calories per taquito depending on the filling you use. Corn tortillas have around 50 calories each and normally less sodium than flour tortillas.
    Contrary to what the little boxes in the frozen food aisle or Taco Bell say, those are flautas. Taquitos are small folded tacos.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Enchiladas with flour tortillas? That's Tex-Mex. Stop it.

Not even Texans would dare to make enchiladas with flour tortillas.
  • Ariana_75
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has some awesome Mexican recipes under the 'Cinco de Mayo' heading. The enchiladas are my favorite!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    If u dont want to follow a recipe to the letter you can either do a 7-layer bean dip with chips (easy, no cooking. Beans, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, & salsa)

Another layering dish u can easily do and bake is sort of a mexican flavor lasagna. (use tortillas in place of noodles, layer with cheese, refried beans, salsa, taco meat, etc. Use cheese on top, sprinkle black olives, and bake until bubbly. It's good for potlucks)
  • 23SVM88
    Options
    What about these:

400_F_34306413_BPWxZnQjgnco9ZdHm30c4Yso31LUjxzk.jpg

Smarty Pants ;)
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I just brought carne asada tacos to my work Xmas party yesterday. Cooked up some lean sliced beef (few dashes of worcestershire and garlic powder for flavor) , added a can of pinto beans to it. Had that in a bowl, and a big bowl of homemade pico de gallo (tomato, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic) and set out a plate of corn tortillas. Everyone makes their own little taqueria style tacos... YUM! You can also put some Mexican cheese out- though traditional asada tacos dont use it. I'd opt for Cotija or another crumble Mexican cheese... if you go with the queso - but it's high in sodium and has those extra calories!
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Pollo con mole!

The store bought brands are actually pretty good.

Just cook some chicken
    Mix the mole paste with the broth
    Serve the chicken with your mole

The classic side dish for that would be rice, either white or mexican "arroz rojo".
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    Options
    Enchiladas with flour tortillas? That's Tex-Mex. Stop it.
    Not even Texans would dare to make enchiladas with flour tortillas.
    Glad to hear it. Let's file this under "Casseroles", rather than "Mexican Food".
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    mexican salsa

1 can corn
    1 can black beans
    1 bell pepper
    italian dressing to taste

tostitos scoops
  • jrmartinezb
    Options
    .... You can also put some Mexican cheese out- though traditional asada tacos dont use it. I'd opt for Cotija....

Now that Cotija cheese has been mentioned, here comes a recipe if you feel really adventurous and dont mind spicy hot food.

Cotija cheese stuffed jalapeños.

USING GLOVES (i cant stress this enough) cut open the jalapeños from one side, remove the seeds and veins, stuff each jalapeño with a piece of cotija cheese. Wrap each jalapeño with metal foil. Place on a hot pan or grill for about 5-10 minutes. Turn over and leave for another 5-10 minutes.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    Options
    A simple dish is "tinga de pollo", chicken simmered in chipotle. A fantastic dish that goes great on tostadas.

Another great Mexican dish is ceviche -- also tasty on tostadas.
  • jrmartinezb
    Options
    Ok, here's another idea... "Aztec Pudding"

You basically layer corn tortillas and a mix of vegetables including poblano peppers, white corn, squash, tomato and squash blossom. You can add sour cream in the layers and/or chees on top. It really depends on how caloric you want it to be. It then goes into the oven. Some people also add shredded chicken, though I personally prefer te veggie only version.