Ramen alternative ?

Options
sm1zzle
sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
A previous post on asian noodles reminded me of a hunt I was on a few weeks back.

Does anyone know of a healthy alternative to Ramen noodles ?

I do not eat them but my son loves them, and I do not let him have them often because how bad they are.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    A previous post on asian noodles reminded me of a hunt I was on a few weeks back.

I do not eat them but my son loves them, and I do not let him have them often because how bad they are.

What exactly is unhealthy about ramen?

3 cups AP Flour

4 tspns baked baking soda*

1/2 cup warm tap water

1/2 cup cold tap water
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Pho
    Udon

Edit: wait, I misunderstood. I thought you were looking for a change of pace for a tasty soup. What do you mean you don't let your son eat them because they're unhealthy?
  • one15ts
    Options
    subbed :)
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    There's like 700 something milligrams of sodium in one package.
    I consider that unhealthy.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    The noodles themselves are not "unhealthy" its just the packet of sodium the comes with them You can try whole grain pasta or orzo pasta
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I eat them and love them....:wink:
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    There's like 700 something milligrams of sodium in one package.
    I consider that unhealthy.

Use just half the packet and add in bok choy or other seasonings
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    There is no alternative. Ramen is it's own classification of stuff and when you want ramen nothing else will suffice. It's like Taco Bell.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Mom piping in here.
    If it were me I just wouldn't buy them for a while. Remove them from the house.
    Not that you would never ever eat them, just so that you can start a new habit now.
    Hunger+creativity= a different meal/snack.
    Bake a potato and steam a veggie. If he's hungry, that sure will smell awesome!!:)
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

You may buy the Ramen and merely discard the flavouring sachet. Substitute the flavouring sachet with your own homemade stock or a store bought unsalted or low sodium broth. Voila!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles are a perfectly fine food.*

* If you're in college. Otherwise, no. No no no.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    This what i would do:

Throw away the seasoning packet.

Stirfry some veggies and meat and add your favorite asian sauces (teriyaki, oyster, Mongolian, etc )

Mix a bit of Chicken broth with a tsp of shredded ginger or powdered ginger and add that to the stir fry,

add noodles last and cook til done. Taste for salt and add black pepper and hot peppers if you like.

its delicious and i used to make it this way in college.... store extra stirfry without the noodles and boil up some more when you need it!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ramen.jpg
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    ramen.jpg
    Yum!
    I don't know how old this son is, but if he's very young, he'll do the classic thing kids do.....
    You'll go to all the trouble to prepare this amazing meal, and......he'll only eat the noodles.
    Oh, and the juice, if you served it.
    LOL
    Feeding little ones can sometimes resemble an art form.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Yum!
    I don't know how old this son is, but if he's very young, he'll do the classic thing kids do.....
    You'll go to all the trouble to prepare this amazing meal, and......he'll only eat the noodles.
    Oh, and the juice, if you served it.
    LOL
    Feeding little ones can sometimes resemble an art form.

LOL! I made a similar comment to my sister on my comment wall about 30 mins ago, about how children tend to prefer their noodles 'clean' or straight.

EDIT: Acg67's attached noodles soup looks delicious though. He always has the most fabulous delicious looking meals.
  • sm1zzle
    Options

You may buy the Ramen and merely discard the flavouring sachet. Substitute the flavouring sachet with your own homemade stock or a store bought unsalted or low sodium broth. Voila!

Problem solved.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    There IS an alternative! There is a product (found at Nob Hill/Raleys or I get mine at Sprouts) or in asian markets I'm sure, called Shiritaki noodles. They are packaged in little pouches like tofu, but can be found in the cold section (by tofu) at Sprouts, or on the shelf by the pastas at Nob Hill.
    Anyhow- they have the same exact consistency, smoothness, etc as ramen, but they have 15 cals for the pack. And nothing else. They are made from soy or flour-- they take on the flavor of whatever you add to them. They come in 2 'sizes' thin vermicelli type and a wider fettucini type. BUT- like other posters have said-- it's the seasoning packet in ramen that is so bad. You'd have to season these with something as well-- but you can certainly come up with better flavors than that weird little salt packet! Here's what shiritaki noodles look like:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=shiritaki+noodles&qpvt=shiritaki+noodles&FORM=IGRE
  • melodyriddle17
    Options
    Just got home from Tokyo a few weeks ago. I can no longer eat any kind of 'ramen' at home. XD That definately was my cure all.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    You could try rice noodles - vermicelli? Just buy the plain noodles and make your own seasoning. Maybe get your son involved in mixing flavours he likes. That way it's more fun and he can experiment.
  • curds
    curds Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    LOL uhm oh Ramyeon how tasty you are!

As for the poster saying they are unhealthy and others saying its the packet that comes with it that makes it unhealthy, well is wax coated noodles not unhealthy?

Or is the US version not coated in wax?

(edited) After some googling there seems to be quite a few who disagree that ramyeon noodles are coated in wax, I think whether its true or not its still not great for you.

Like others suggested glass noodles would be a substitute and there are many recipes for getting the tasty flavour.