Ramen alternative ?

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    But is there an alternative to the Ramen Burger? I saw it at a Brooklyn food fair last weekend but the line was too long to get one. Now I've been dreaming out it ever since.

http://ramenburger.com
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Very long time since I been on this ****in site. I.was looking for an.alternative to instant ramen and found this thread.

I forgot about the cesspool of the comment section.
    I'm not a hippie. Furthest from one. Didn't know taking care of what you put into your body was something to make fun of

I have no problem with staying healthy, I have a problem with spreading a bunch of unscientific food fearmongering that confuses issues and turns real ecological conundrums in to laughing stocks in the general public.
  • currlee
    currlee Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Maybe someone will find this helpful. I was trying to put something together one night that was quick and not too heavy. I boiled one serving of noodles(whatever kind you have/like). Drained, then added a very light drizzle of toasted sesame oil, some ground ginger and a generous amount of Bragg's Liquid Aminos. Then I added a serving of shrimp, but you don't have to. I was impressed with it because it ended up tasting a lot like ramen. It takes less than 10min to make and I make it often for a quick evening meal.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Yes!! THIS >>> http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/diy-instant-noodle-cups-food-lab.html

I'm super stoked on this group of recipes. They look super easy and delicious.

Enjoy!!
  • nissar6
    nissar6 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Instant Ramen noodles are bad all the way around. The flavor packs or flavor is packed with chemicals and sodium. The noodles themselves are processed and packed with chemicals that can make us sick. Americans are in 6th place in the world when it comes to ramen consumption behind #5 China, #4 Indonesia, #3 Japan, #2 Vietnam, #1 Korea. Koreans suffer a lot from Metabolic Syndrome, heart atrack and stroke. Koreans that consume less ramen or only have it once a week don't show up as being afflicted with Metabolic Syndrome as much. And according to studies at Harvard and Baylor you will be less likely to get heart attack, stroke and diabetes just because of the fact that the ramen industry by and large packs the instant stuff with crazy chemical preservatives, palm oil, soy based ingredients.that would be bad especially for women too. All those preservatives and chemicals while flash frying it all up in order for it to be that convenient block-o-doodles we know so well.

I think this.gentleman is in his right frame of mind in thinking about the health and well being of his son. As well as avoiding this processed food as we should be weary of all processed as well as GMO foods in order to prevent leukemia and lymphoma.

On that note:
    If people really care about fighting cancer especially leukemia and lymphoma we must divest from all GMOs and their companies. Especially Monsanto and Dow Chemical the makers of asphertame, pesticides and seeds that rely on the chemical industry in order for farmers to stay in business with these companies and businesses. Making the entire world into children of the Dust Bowl over and over again. Think about it... what are you hungry for because our bodies and planet ultimately at the end of the day are our temples and humble vibrant aboads if we care for them... totally not being facetious.

Excellent job of thread necroing. I went to look for helpful information before I realized how old this damn thread is. Anyways, since I took the time to look up my favorite ramen recipe anyways.....

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/ramen-shrimp-pouch-recipe.html

Oh, and this:
    8b688adcfe44929c380b4d71a759d338d23c.jpg

I am so going to throw an open ice hit the next time I am in the ice and dedicate it to all the haters
    I'm off to the store to find what I was looking for. You go do your own research. Just remember you are what you eat.

Garbage in garbage out. Stick to what works for you and I'm gonna go get mine.
    On and off the ice. Love you all
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Instant Ramen noodles are bad all the way around. The flavor packs or flavor is packed with chemicals and sodium. The noodles themselves are processed and packed with chemicals that can make us sick. Americans are in 6th place in the world when it comes to ramen consumption behind #5 China, #4 Indonesia, #3 Japan, #2 Vietnam, #1 Korea. Koreans suffer a lot from Metabolic Syndrome, heart atrack and stroke. Koreans that consume less ramen or only have it once a week don't show up as being afflicted with Metabolic Syndrome as much. And according to studies at Harvard and Baylor you will be less likely to get heart attack, stroke and diabetes just because of the fact that the ramen industry by and large packs the instant stuff with crazy chemical preservatives, palm oil, soy based ingredients.that would be bad especially for women too. All those preservatives and chemicals while flash frying it all up in order for it to be that convenient block-o-doodles we know so well.

I think this.gentleman is in his right frame of mind in thinking about the health and well being of his son. As well as avoiding this processed food as we should be weary of all processed as well as GMO foods in order to prevent leukemia and lymphoma.

On that note:
    If people really care about fighting cancer especially leukemia and lymphoma we must divest from all GMOs and their companies. Especially Monsanto and Dow Chemical the makers of asphertame, pesticides and seeds that rely on the chemical industry in order for farmers to stay in business with these companies and businesses. Making the entire world into children of the Dust Bowl over and over again. Think about it... what are you hungry for because our bodies and planet ultimately at the end of the day are our temples and humble vibrant aboads if we care for them... totally not being facetious.

Excellent job of thread necroing. I went to look for helpful information before I realized how old this damn thread is. Anyways, since I took the time to look up my favorite ramen recipe anyways.....

Oh, and this:

I am so going to throw an open ice hit the next time I am in the ice and dedicate it to all the haters
    I'm off to the store to find what I was looking for. You go do your own research. Just remember you are what you eat.

Sweetheart, I'm a scientist, all I do is research.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    You just keep trolling. :drinker:
  • nissar6
    Options

On that note:

Oh, and this:

Hey baby I'm a scientist and a hockey player so I got passion
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

On that note:

Oh, and this:

What field?
  • nissar6
    Options

On that note:

Oh, and this:

What field?

Microbiology/ BSN Nursing
  • Zombie296
    Options
    Thai Kitchen makes ramen noodles and they are really yummy. Haven't had them in a few years but most health food stores carry them. They are a rice noodle.. might check them out online and take a look at their nutrition labels. (I can't stand shiritaki noodles or I would have suggested them.. can't ever get them to not smell or taste fishy). Good luck. :)
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

On that note:

Oh, and this:

What field?

Are you actively working in microbiology? If so, you should be able to produce peer reviewed sources to back your claims. And as a scientist you should know that the onus is on YOU, to back them, since you made the claims that these "chemicals" somehow have been proven to have deleterious effects on human systems.

Or that GMOs have been linked to cancer production in human cell cultures...

And you should know that correlation does not = causation.

About the only claim that you made that I can find backing for is that high level of sodium can be bad..... Which is why several people recommended skipping the flavor packet and choosing a lower sodium variety instead. But even sodium is a vital nutrient necessary for muscle contraction and nerve transmission.
  • nissar6
    Options

On that note:

Oh, and this:

What field?

Are you actively working in microbiology? If so, you should be able to produce peer reviewed sources to back your claims. And as a scientist you should know that the onus is on YOU, to back them, since you made the claims that these "chemicals" somehow have been proven to have deleterious effects on human systems.

About the only claim that you made that I can find backing for is that high level of sodium can be bad..... Which is why several people recommended skipping the flavor packet and choosing a lower sodium variety instead. But even sodium is a vital nutrient necessary for muscle contraction and nerve transmission.

I'm duel major working on my boards. Im just some guy talking to some girl never said you have to trust me. Ok. The world is the same place either way. If I pass I can work as a nurse so there you go.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

On that note:

Oh, and this:

What field?

I'm duel major working on my boards. Im just some guy talking to some girl never said you have to trust me. Ok. The world is the same place either way. If I pass I can work as a nurse so there you go.

It's an issue to me because very real concerns like the effects of modern farming techniques on marine ecosystems and the potential for uncontrolled invasive species spread and reduction of native crop species within ecosystems are getting shouted down by one side that doesn't actually understand the issues and thinks the problem is that everything is toxic and causes cancer, and everybody else ignores the shouting because they've looked in to it and know that what the other side is shouting about is completely bogus. And so the the real problems get ignored by both sides.
  • starbinka
    starbinka Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Amy's makes a noodle-- but it is pricey in comparison. Why are we paying more to NOT have msg added? I agree that ramen is not healthy.
  • InnocentLunatic
    InnocentLunatic Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I find it's really more about the seasonings than what you put it on... When I'm craving asian food, sometimes I'll chop some cabbage up into "noodles", toss it in a /little/ olive oil, then add plenty of garlic and a touch of ginger, sea salt, you can either pan fry it or bake it... It's not exactly the same but it might work.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    There's like 700 something milligrams of sodium in one package.
    I consider that unhealthy.
    I use 1/3 the packet of seasoning, dash of onion powder, garlic powder, chives, cinnamon and few drops of chili oil. I also boil mine up with 1/3 cup of frozen mixed veg. If I need extra protein I float an egg in in the last seconds. Perfectly healthy!
    I use the same treatment for instant pho. Save the extra seasoning. At the end of the year I mix all old condiments and spices, etc in a 5 gallon bucket with dish soap and a beer and feed the lawn.
  • ShawnaM73
    ShawnaM73 Posts: 1
    edited October 2014
    Options
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I just made a Low Sodium Ramen Noodle Salad. http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/10/low-sodium-ramen-noodle-salad.html

I tossed the seasoning packet and used a no sodium bouillon packet and added my own seasoning. When I was researching seasonings I found this.

Copycat Seasoning for Ramen: 1 tsp onion powder, parsley, garlic powder, black pepper & salt to taste. For Chicken or Beef: omit salt and add 1 tsp or 1 cube of bouillon. For Oriental: 1 tsp ground ginger. For Mexican: 1 tsp chilli & 1/2 tsp cumin. For Creamy: 1tsp dry milk. http://www.ehow.com/how_8113702_make-own-sauce-ramen-noodles.html
  • lazytiff
    lazytiff Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You can make healthy ramen by making your own broth and adding veggies to it. If you're afraid of whatever fat is in the noodles, then just use an alternative.

I never eat plain ramen, as it always has meat or eggs and tons of veggies+kimchi to make it taste amazing. It also keeps me full for hours and I don't even need the entire half block of noodles that is a serving anyways.

Edit: Didn't realize this was an old post. Oops.