Will strength training slow my weight loss?

Options
Before anyone says anything like "What does it matter what the scale says so long as you feel better and your looking better?" I would have to stop you because in my case it most certainly does matter what the scale says. I have started my journey out at 250 pounds. I am now down to 242. The army says that for my height if I want to be able to reenlist when my time is up I have to weigh 211 pounds or less. I have done the math and the fastest I can safely reach that weight by is April 5th.

I want to do some strength training as well because in the aftermath it will be very beneficial to have more muscle. Muscle will give me the ability to burn more fat. This would contribute to my overall health which is my goal. The question is can I still meet the April 5th deadline if I am packing on muscle? I know that I would be healthier overall even if I was 217 with muscle but 217 would still be a failed weigh in for the army. The real kicker to all of this is on top of passing my weigh in I have to pass my pushups, situps and run. Now the run is the only event I ever fail which I think losing the weight will help me with but building up my core muscles and my arm muscles will help me with the other two events. Is April 5th just too soon to lose this much weight by? Can I lose that much by then and still do strength training? Any productive input would be appreciated.

Replies

• supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    you won't pack on muscle if you are eating at a deficit.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    So will I still be able to improve at my pushups and situps and run while eating at a deficit?
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    When's your reenlist date? (You said April 5th is the earliest date you can reach it safely)

I would continue doing the exercises you need to reenlist but not the heavy weights. Practise what you need until you get to your goal.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    So will I still be able to improve at my pushups and situps and run while eating at a deficit?

yes

In fact just losing weight would make you better at both even without gaining any real strength.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

yes

absolutely.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    When's your reenlist date? (You said April 5th is the earliest date you can reach it safely)

I would continue doing the exercises you need to reenlist but not the heavy weights. Practise what you need until you get to your goal.

If I were to bring it down to the wire I would have to be below 211 pounds by the first weekend of June.
  • soldier4242
    Options

yes

absolutely.

I confess to a little bit of confusion here. How can I improve at these three events while eating at a deficit if I can't pack on muscle at a deficit?

I am not saying I don't believe either of you but I thought I would have to be able to increase the amount of muscle I have to improve.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

yes

absolutely.

I confess to a little bit of confusion here. How can I improve at these three events while eating at a deficit if I can't pack on muscle at a deficit?

I am not saying I don't believe either of you but I thought I would have to be able to increase the amount of muscle I have to improve.

You are going to strengthen the muscles that you do have, not build new bigger ones. To bulk and add new muscle, you would have to eat at a surplus.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What you need to pass basic is an increase in *strength*, not muscle size. People associate size with strength but they are only loosely connected.

By strength training in a deficit, you most certainly will be able to improve your performance by a lot.

By strength training in a deficit, you will have very little, if any, muscle mass gains so you don't have to worry about muscle weight keeping you from hitting your target.

By strength training in a deficit, you will increase the amount of fat lost while retaining the most amount of lean muscle mass. This is good not only because it will improve your physical appearance it will also improve your performance. Weight from fat just slows you down but muscle that you preserve will help you run, climb, push, pull, fight, and live.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

Plus, the less you weigh, the easier the pushups, situps and running will be.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Personal experience rather than science!
    I've lost c. 25lbs this year and seen improvement in both cardio (running, cycling, rowing....) and strength in this time.
    Strength improvement is roughly 20%.

Although my muscles aren't much more bulky I've certainly improved definition (mainly because they aren't covered in fat) and improved body composition (falling body fat). Strength training at a calorie deficit will at the least result in you retaining as much muscle bulk as possible. Bear in mind I'm only at a 1lb a week deficit though,

I assume my muscles are now leaner and more efficient - size alone isn't a measure of strength. My son doesn't carry much muscle but he lifts a surprising amount.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options

yes

absolutely.

You are going to strengthen the muscles that you do have, not build new bigger ones. To bulk and add new muscle, you would have to eat at a surplus.

Exactly. I've lost 24 lbs so far and have greatly improved push ups, situps, chin ups (I can actually do a couple now!) and running endurance.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    What you need to pass basic is an increase in *strength*, not muscle size. People associate size with strength but they are only loosely connected.

By strength training in a deficit, you most certainly will be able to improve your performance by a lot.

By strength training in a deficit, you will have very little, if any, muscle mass gains so you don't have to worry about muscle weight keeping you from hitting your target.

By strength training in a deficit, you will increase the amount of fat lost while retaining the most amount of lean muscle mass. This is good not only because it will improve your physical appearance it will also improve your performance. Weight from fat just slows you down but muscle that you preserve will help you run, climb, push, pull, fight, and live.

^^^THIS^^^ PLUS, if you do like a C25K program or something like that, you will greatly improve on your running and be ready for the testing! Start getting your running in NOW and you will be able to do it all.

GOOD LUCK and THANK YOU for your service!!!
  • soldier4242
    Options
    This is all making a lot more sense to me. Thanks a lot for clearing up the misconception I had with regard to building strength verse building muscle mass. I will do all that I can to reach my goal in time but even if I can't I will keep on pushing myself toward my goal weight of 185. At that point I will reevaluate my goals and see what I want to do from there. Perhaps I'll go past my goal weight and then start eating at a surplus so I can be a bit bigger but then it would be with muscle.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I realize it may be a bit of a faux pas to bump and ancient thread especially if it is your own thread and even more so if it is a double post but if you can forgive my trifecta of impertinence I do have a good intention.

The belief that getting stronger is the result of have larger muscles was a perception I had that was leading me down a wrong path. This thread is did a very good job of dispelling the myth that was blocking me and I wanted to give these good people voice again since I have seen other with the same thing in their way.

I have benefited great from the poster above me here and I plan to keep moving forward. If just one person benefits from this as I have I will consider it worth the bump.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    The army says that for my height if I want to be able to reenlist when my time is up I have to weigh 211 pounds or less.

Who the "H" told you that?

If you meet PF% (tape), you can re-enlist above the weight for your age. I was 15lbs above weight for my age, but was in the single digits in PF%, I could have re-enlisted.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Yes because a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Are you going to make weight?