Can anyone help me out! Lost Sleep after lifestly change.

Options
Hey MFP friends,

Have you ever lost sleep after changing your lifestyle? I need anyone that help me out. For the last 2 weeks after I changed my lifestyle, (Completely removed soda, Started MFP calorie deficit) I have only been getting 2 hours a sleep at night! Thats right! I will go to sleep at 12AM and wake up at 2AM and will not fall a sleep again not even for ten minutes, I am super tired at night and during the day.

2 weeks ago and beyond I would never have problems sleeping for 8-9 hours a day!

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I, too, have noticed an increase in insomnia since working on my eating habits. (Up at 3-4 AM, regardless of when I went to bed.) I'd be interested in hearing the answers as well.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have found that I am hyper sensitive to caffeine now. Even the green tea that used to never bother me is a no go after noon. If I go beyond noon a am forcing myself to bed, and up and at them by 4AM. Once I stopped it I was back to sleeping 7 a night.
  • vopat45
    vopat45 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I, too, have noticed an increase in insomnia since working on my eating habits. (Up at 3-4 AM, regardless of when I went to bed.) I'd be interested in hearing the answers as well.

I know, It is really difficult, I really enjoy sleeping and its taking a toll on me, I also tried taking ZZZQUIL and still did not help. I took it for 2 nights and don't want to take it again because I dont know what long time side effects it has.

I mean I used to work out at night all the time and would even sleep better then I did then on a day that I dont work out.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I had insomnia on and off for about a month after I began to eat better, exercise and lose weight. It seemed to be the worst at certain points in my cycle, so I attributed it to hormonal shifts.

Give it time and you will see it start to ease up I'm sure.
  • vopat45
    Options
    I have found that I am hyper sensitive to caffeine now. Even the green tea that used to never bother me is a no go after noon. If I go beyond noon a am forcing myself to bed, and up and at them by 4AM. Once I stopped it I was back to sleeping 7 a night.

Hey amber! Unfortunately no caffeine for me! :) I had the will power to quit all soda and energy drinks which is great because they were all soda and caffeine, but you think that would make sleeping easier for me right.... ha WRONG :(
  • vopat45
    Options
    Interesting. I had insomnia on and off for about a month after I began to eat better, exercise and lose weight. It seemed to be the worst at certain points in my cycle, so I attributed it to hormonal shifts.

Give it time and you will see it start to ease up I'm sure.

Thanks Love, I hope you are right!
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options
    @quirkytizzy I love your picture

I was having sleeping problems for a while, I was staying awake for 24 hours sleeping for 4 and getting up for another 24. Idk if I had a lot of energy or what -.- I have heard that if you exercise or have caffiene before you go to bed that effects how long it takes you to go to sleep because after exercising you have more energy but idk, some people don't have that problem.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I have had a funny revelation, thanks to the holidays. Ive been eating like a cow and put on almost 6 lbs, but i sleep like a baby at night. I had massive insomnia before that for years. i never attributed it to my diet unti now. Interesting.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Nope. Never got better for me. And, I don't have cycles. I think it's diet related. It has to be. This week I've gone mad eating everything in sight and I sleep so good at night.
  • vopat45
    Options
    Nope. Never got better for me. And, I don't have cycles. I think it's diet related. It has to be. This week I've gone mad eating everything in sight and I sleep so good at night.

Ahhhhh! What do you recommend?! Should I have a cheat day and eat my BMR... I dont think I even know to eat normal now!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hmm I'm the opposite. I had insomnia for years and once I started eating better and exercising regularly I sleep fine. Do you exercise regularly? I think it helps to both mentally (at work) and physically (working out) tire myself out each day to get a good night's rest.

Also, are you going to bed hungry? That will definitely keep me up, so if I am hungry right before bed I make sure to have a little snack to take the edge off.

Good luck, and I hope it evens out for you! Maybe your body just needs to get used to your new lifestyle.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Hey amber! Unfortunately no caffeine for me! :) I had the will power to quit all soda and energy drinks which is great because they were all soda and caffeine, but you think that would make sleeping easier for me right.... ha WRONG :(

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Maybe some "adult time" before rest might help. Seems to work for my husband.
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    What time of day are you exercising? I know exercising close to your bed time can keep you awake. It used to take me an hour to fall asleep and I would wake up all night long, but now I sleep through the night... since changing what I eat and adding exercise into my day. Have you ever had your vitamin D levels checked? My level is chronically low since I'm not in the sun much (especially in the winter months) and I have noticed that I sleep better now that my doctor has put me on a high dose supplement. Since vitamin D is actually a hormone, it effects so many aspects of your life, including sleep. Might be something to look in to!
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hmm I'm the opposite. I had insomnia for years and once I started eating better and exercising regularly I sleep fine. Do you exercise regularly? I think it helps to both mentally (at work) and physically (working out) tire myself out each day to get a good night's rest.

Also, are you going to bed hungry? That will definitely keep me up, so if I am hungry right before bed I make sure to have a little snack to take the edge off.

Good luck, and I hope it evens out for you! Maybe your body just needs to get used to your new lifestyle.

I agree. Some carbs before bed might help. Also, have you tried melatonin? I keep 5 mg rapid-dissolve tablets on my nightstand. I take one if I wake up during the night and it really helps me fall back to sleep. Good luck. Insomnia is not fun.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options

Ahhhhh! What do you recommend?! Should I have a cheat day and eat my BMR... I dont think I even know to eat normal now!

A cheat day is eating your BMR? Lol. I eat above my BMR every day.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options

I agree. Some carbs before bed might help. Also, have you tried melatonin? I keep 5 mg rapid-dissolve tablets on my nightstand. I take one if I wake up during the night and it really helps me fall back to sleep. Good luck. Insomnia is not fun.

It's probably just hormones. Make sure you don't exercise too late , that can leave you wide awake at night.
    Melatonin works well. Good luck!
  • BorderlineAngel
    Options
    bump
  • vopat45
    Options
    What time of day are you exercising? I know exercising close to your bed time can keep you awake. It used to take me an hour to fall asleep and I would wake up all night long, but now I sleep through the night... since changing what I eat and adding exercise into my day. Have you ever had your vitamin D levels checked? My level is chronically low since I'm not in the sun much (especially in the winter months) and I have noticed that I sleep better now that my doctor has put me on a high dose supplement. Since vitamin D is actually a hormone, it effects so many aspects of your life, including sleep. Might be something to look in to!

Hi! I tried days where I dont work out, Where I work out in the morning and then when I work out at night, No change what so ever.
  • vopat45
    Options

I have not tried Melatonin, I am really desperate to try anything at this point! THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT IS RESPONDING! IT IS REALLY REALLY HARD RIGHT NOW FOR ME!!! I FEEL LIKE BREAKING DOWN AND CRYING IT SO SEVERE! :(
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If you are eating low calories, you may be lacking in some vitamins or minerals that regulate sleep hormones. B Vitamins, calcium, iron, zinc and copper all have a role in this. Milk has a lot of of B vitamins as well as calcium and zinc. Try drinking a big glass of milk in the evening. And look at the foods you are eating to see that you are getting enough healthy foods with vitamins and minerals in them.