Can anyone help me out! Lost Sleep after lifestly change.

Options

Replies

• vopat45
    vopat45 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Here are some changes that I have done,

Used to eat 1-2 meals per day... Now I eat 5 meals per day.

Used to drink 20 ounces of soda a day, now drink 2 liters of water a day.

Used to binge on carbs and not have a balance diet, Now a lot more protein and less carbs.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Try a multivitamin that has all of that in it. If you start feeling better, then you'll know it was a vitamin deficiency. And you can start introducing more foods into your diet that has those things. If not, and you continue to not be able to sleep, talk to your doctor.
  • JennieCakes72
    JennieCakes72 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's funny that I saw this today because I was going to post the same thing!! I never have trouble falling asleep and I always sleep all night long. However, the last couple weeks it's been rough. Since I started working out 4 or 5 times a week, really watching what I eat, and adding weights. I wonder if I am not eating enough?

I woke up at least three times this week around 3 or 4 am and couldn't get back to sleep! I am also running hot like metabolism is seriously on fire or something. I eat plenty during the day and always eat back my exercise calories.

On the days I don't work out is the only time I sleep all night...

HELP!!!!
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Nope. Never got better for me. And, I don't have cycles. I think it's diet related. It has to be. This week I've gone mad eating everything in sight and I sleep so good at night.

Men have hormonal cycles as well....just sayin'.

I'm sure it is diet related in your case if you're noticing a direct correlation between eating more and sleeping better.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Hey MFP friends,

Have you ever lost sleep after changing your lifestyle? I need anyone that help me out. For the last 2 weeks after I changed my lifestyle, (Completely removed soda, Started MFP calorie deficit) I have only been getting 2 hours a sleep at night! Thats right! I will go to sleep at 12AM and wake up at 2AM and will not fall a sleep again not even for ten minutes, I am super tired at night and during the day.

2 weeks ago and beyond I would never have problems sleeping for 8-9 hours a day!

Didn't you start a thread about eating a very restrictive low calorie diet? If so eat a diet containing a balance of ALL the nutrients your body needs to produce the hormones that control mood, energy levels and sleep patterns. Your body needs various minerals, vitamins, essential fatty acids, carbs and amino acids to produce melatonin (sleep hormone) but may overproduce adrenaline and other stress hormones if you don't eat right - these can interfere with sleep.

- nine servings of fruit and veggies in the full rainbow of colours
    - plenty of mineral rich foods (wholegrains, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds)
    - oily fish/ omega-enriched eggs for EFAs
    - other healthy fats (nuts, seeds, olives, avocado, coconut)
    - protein little and often starting with breakfast.
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have had a funny revelation, thanks to the holidays. Ive been eating like a cow and put on almost 6 lbs, but i sleep like a baby at night. I had massive insomnia before that for years. i never attributed it to my diet unti now. Interesting.

Makes perfect sense. When we eat a lot, blood goes from our extremities (like our brain) to our stomachs to aid in digestion. Hence, the after big meal sleepies.
  • Jfearn64
    Jfearn64 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Melatonin is a natural hormone made by your body's pineal (pih-knee-uhl) gland. This is a pea-sized gland located just above the middle of the brain. During the day the pineal is inactive. When the sun goes down and darkness occurs, the pineal is "turned on" by the SCN and begins to actively produce melatonin, which is released into the blood. Usually, this occurs around 9 pm. As a result, melatonin levels in the blood rise sharply and you begin to feel less alert. Sleep becomes more inviting. Melatonin levels in the blood stay elevated for about 12 hours - all through the night - before the light of a new day when they fall back to low daytime levels by about 9 am. Daytime levels of melatonin are barely detectable.

Give it a try....it works. I don't wake up with that Groggy feeling that I do if I take other sleep aids. It helps me to fall asleep and to get back to sleep easily when I wake up during the night to get rid of all that water I have been drinking all day!
  • Akumu
    Akumu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. The same thing has happened to me since I started eating better and exercising. Wake up a lot at night, very annoying. I definitely slept better with bad food and no exercise :(
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Hmm I guess it's not uncommon. Do you exercise close to bed time? Sometimes that can impact on sleep.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have sleep issues on and off so I have a prescription medication to take, as needed. I take about 1/2 pill every now and then when I can't sleep. Maybe a sleep aid would help until your body adjusts to your new lifestyle!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I now fall asleep earlier and need to shift my pattern! The dark at 5 pm makes me sleepy, I can rarely stay awake till 8, and then I am up at 3 am! I am going to try working out at home at 6 with my 4 day holiday starting tonight.

I ate breakfast at 6 am this morning and have started pushing more food to breakfast/lunch and will slowly see what helps.

I do stop drinking any liquids after 7 pm.

Any other hints?
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hmm..This is certainly interesting. Before my lifestyle change I used to sleep way too much. Even if I slept early I would wake up around noon. After my lifestyle change, I can still go to sleep early just fine but I wake up when I get my full 7-8hours(without my alarm ;P)
  • vopat45
    vopat45 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey MFP friends,

Have you ever lost sleep after changing your lifestyle? I need anyone that help me out. For the last 2 weeks after I changed my lifestyle, (Completely removed soda, Started MFP calorie deficit) I have only been getting 2 hours a sleep at night! Thats right! I will go to sleep at 12AM and wake up at 2AM and will not fall a sleep again not even for ten minutes, I am super tired at night and during the day.

2 weeks ago and beyond I would never have problems sleeping for 8-9 hours a day!

Didn't you start a thread about eating a very restrictive low calorie diet? If so eat a diet containing a balance of ALL the nutrients your body needs to produce the hormones that control mood, energy levels and sleep patterns. Your body needs various minerals, vitamins, essential fatty acids, carbs and amino acids to produce melatonin (sleep hormone) but may overproduce adrenaline and other stress hormones if you don't eat right - these can interfere with sleep.

- nine servings of fruit and veggies in the full rainbow of colours
    - plenty of mineral rich foods (wholegrains, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds)
    - oily fish/ omega-enriched eggs for EFAs
    - other healthy fats (nuts, seeds, olives, avocado, coconut)
    - protein little and often starting with breakfast.

Yes but I have increased my calorie intake and try eating at least 3/4 or all the way to my minimum calorie needed.
  • blemarie
    Options
    Now that you mention it the same thing has been happening to me. Ever since I started this last Sunday, I have been waking up a lot thru the night and only getting about 5 hours of sleep. I work out for at least an hour to 2 hours a day so I am super tired by 10pm...it has to be the diet change, maybe our bodies getting used to the change. I also went back to being a vegetarian so that could be it too...i guess. Let me know if you find anything out about this, id love to know.
  • alexnguyen92
    Options
    BUMP!
  • ala846
    Options
    I definitely noticed changing lifestyle disrupts my sleep patterns. The most obvious one would be caffeine, but exercising too close to sleep also makes me more awake and makes it harder to sleep. Showering after 6pm also disrupts my sleep. I would suggest dialling back your routine, then you should be able to find out what exactly it is that is doing this.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    only in the beginning when I was getting over my caffeine addiction. After a few weeks, I began sleeping better than ever, as a result of the cleaner living.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    You might need more carbs in your diet. Carbs help the brain produce the hormone serotonin which is what helps you to fall asleep. If you are having success on a low carb diet, try eating all your carbs in the evenings, and adding in a melatonin supplement before bed as well.

*Warning, people have strange dreams the first few days they use melatonin. It goes away once your body is getting enough sleep.

If you do a lot of endurance exercises, you should try to get at least 30% carbs into your diet. Low carb diets work better for those who are either looking to build muscle or are sedentary and wish to lose fat.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more! You sleep when you don't exercise - this tells you your calorie deficit is too large! You are leaving around 800 calories a day uneaten - this is 800 calories in addition to the deficit that your plan already gives you - way to much!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP the last year and a half or so, and for a little over a year now, I've had horrible sleep issues. No matter what time I go to bed, I always wake up in the middle of the night, and hardly ever sleep past 4:30-5:00. Sometimes it has to do with how you're feeding your body, as well as overexercising!