ack! I hate my protein powder!

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    There's protein shakes derived from all sorts of things. I've seen pea protein, hemp protein (tried it; tasted like eating a basket), etc. Is yogurt upsetting to you? You can get pretty close protein readings by making shakes out of nonfat Greek yogurt.
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    hold your breath & choke it down. I usually use MUCH less water so theres less volume to ingest. I will then drink water afterwards (mostly to wash away the tast...)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    That stuff is like most supplements, it gives you expensive urine and feces. Eat real food instead.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Spirutein Protein powders... they come in a ton of yummo flavors. They do have a whey version - I can't tolerate whey either so I avoid that one - but their other ones are amazing and taste really good. Some of the best ones are strawberry, raspberry royale, blueberries and cream, chocolate, vanilla, cookies and cream and cappuccino. I like gensoy vanilla as well.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a fridge at work? I blend my Breakfast (banana, frozen berries, chocolate protein powder, flax seed and water) a little thick in the morning and take it to work. By the time I'm ready for it, it's watered down a little and drinkable.

I would also call around to your local health food stores (organic/natural foods type stores, not GNC, etc) and ask if they have any samples you can try. All of the ones around here do. The store that I go to actually prefers to order samples from the manufacturer (if possible) for you to try instead of you buying something and then asking to return it if it doesn't work.

Good luck!
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Try a different brand :) i HATEHATEHATE myofusion. but ohmyjeebus dymatize is nomnomnom.

i have about ten to go and ill have tried every brand at vitamib shoppe except the mass gainessian bear 5000 is delicious) (ON mass gainer is nasty, but russian bear 5000 is delicious)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. They all taste the same to me. I've never had one that tasted different than any other. Meh!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    So are coeliacs milk intolerant as well as I thought whey protein was from milk/dairy?
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Flavored water gulp, hold breath, immediately chug protein, while still holding breath, Chase again with favored waser, breathe.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    And eas is the best tasting ;-)
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    What dietary restrictions do you have?

All powders I've tried, I hate with water; much better with milk.
    I concur!
  • Topher1978
    Options
    restrictions-im a type 1 diabetic with celiac disease, i do not tolerate whey protein-mega bloat and vomiting-

I dont have use of a blender at work-registered nurse-I bring my shaker bottle

***to those who mentions getting my protein thru real food*** I do try, I honestly do, egg whites and chicken but theres only so much of that I can take!!! I have a HUGE dislike of fish of any kind! I pack protein into my breakfast lunch and supper always with the use of egg whites and lean meats but its simply not enough.

I find using a protein shake as my morning snack very satisfying as I eat my breakfast at 510am and then do not get a lunch break until 1130.

perhaps individual packs of protein powders is common among the whey based ones, but I have yet to see samples in plant based protein or soy based ones.

I am not looking to consume more real food at this point, im happy with what clean up I have done to my eating habits but I simply wanted a suggestion to a good or better tasting plant based protein powder that can mix easily in water without use of a blender-simple? I thought so.
    Celiac is a bummer. I have not tried it yet, but maybe the vegan shakeologies would work for you... And rice milk is a great non alergenic mixer. I was using it for half of my liquid, and kefir for the other half, and it was awesome (I use ON GS Whey). I also put 1 raw egg, some cinamon (which may especially good for you being that you have diabetes) and I also add raw bee pollen. But the rice milk will probably be good to your palate. Kefir may work as well, as the bacteria digests the lactose (99% lactose free)... the plain is pretty low carb.
  • misskellylynne
    Options
    I really enjoy GNC brand protein powder in every flavor.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    So are coeliacs milk intolerant as well as I thought whey protein was from milk/dairy?
    If you are celiac and you are eating wheat with other foods, you will possibly become allergic to those other foods. My friends son is allergic to nearly all food due to them not knowing he was celiac. The other foods may become ok after a 6 month to year wait, but sometimes you do not overcome those added allergies. It is an unfortunate condition.
  • misskellylynne
    Options
    oh and I make mine with light soy milk and not water, makes a huge difference.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    May have missed it, but can you tolerate casein? Or soy?

ETA: look into rawfusion - http://www.getrippednutrition.com/Raw_Fusion_p/rawfusion.htm it's a plant based blend and is gluten free.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I really enjoy GNC brand protein powder in every flavor.
    GNC os ON protein, or so the GNC peeps here have told me.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    restrictions-im a type 1 diabetic with celiac disease, i do not tolerate whey protein-mega bloat and vomiting-
    Isn't that bad for you because of lactose? Have you tried whey isolate? Most of those are like 99% lactose free.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    What dietary restrictions do you have?

All powders I've tried, I hate with water; much better with milk.
    I concur!

With Almond Milk... yum and way fewer calories. :^)
  • FitLifeDiva
    FitLifeDiva Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Try Jay Robb Egg protien powder.