Goal For 2013 - No Soda or Candy!!

Options

Replies

• oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    not for me. Big fan of balance here. But enjoy either way!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I would fail within hours of the calendar changing to 2013
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you would want to do that. There's no way I would intentionally set myself up for a year of deprivation.

Best of luck to you, though.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I don't drink sodas simply because I do not want to drink a soda. Not because I told myself I'm going to quit sodas like I quit smoking.

And candy....Well, to that I say..."I'm female. Chocolate is a necessity, not an option!!!" lmao! I might kill someone if I completely gave that up.
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    I literally have no reason to take part in this..I don't have an addiction to either so I wouldn't see the benefit.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you would want to do that. There's no way I would intentionally set myself up for a year of deprivation.

Best of luck to you, though.

This. Deprivation is the fastest way to failure IMO.
  • conleeper
    Options
    You don't have to have an "all or nothing" mentality. I know it works for some, but for many it is unsustainable. Many people start off the new year with resolutions that are bound to fail. I know the moderation approach has helped me lose weight and, more importantly, maintain that loss. Instead of "No candy, ever" I say "One piece of candy, not pigging out on an entire bag." Or "a couple sodas a week, not a couple sodas a day."

Completely eliminating foods you enjoy seems to be setting yourself up for failure. Do you plan on avoiding candy for life? If not, how will you deal with eating it further down the road when you decide it is OK to eat it again? Part of long term success includes learning how to enjoy the foods you like in moderation without having to eat unreasonable amounts of it.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yes to the soda- thats easy for me - I don't really like it anyway. No to the candy. I have some maybe 2-3 X a week in very small portions- but when I want it, I want it. And I have it :)
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I will agree to not drink soda or eat SPAM!
  • Chris0h9
    Chris0h9 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I already gave up soda. And to be honest, last time I had Coke, it fell like a rock onto my stomach. I don't even really enjoy it anymore. I personally encourage anyone to stop it. If you have it in moderation, I guess it's okay, but I used to pretty much drink like a liter of coke a day.

I am gonna try to stop snacking in between meals/after meals. I still don't eat that much calories with snacking, but it makes it much harder for me to keep track of my food, and the snacking calories aren't good calories.

I guess I could try giving up chocolate, but I don't seem to find the point of doing that. I mean it's okay to eat chocolate as long as I do it in moderation.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but as others have said, I have no plans to give up anything especially candy. I don't eat candy often but the difference now is when I get the big giant bar of salted caramel dark chocolate from lindt, I actually have 3 squares (sometimes 2) and not the whole fricken bar (20 squares) in one go and I have candy for a few days for a couple of bucks.

Soda for me is diet soda (also not giving it up) when I go back to the spiffy Carribean restaurant I will have one of their homemade ginger beers even though it's LOADED with sugar. It's a treat, I'm gonna have one, but just one and I hit that restaurant maybe 3 or 4 times a year.
  • TaterTotz777
    Options
    You have way more will power than i do....chocolate is my weakness, i think i eat it almost every day. I would like to give it a try though so I'm with you 110%
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I am making a goal to not have any soda or candy for 2013. Is there anyone who would like to join me?

Nope.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I gave it up and after about 6 days your cravings should be gone (but watch out because I was an asshat when in withdrawal). Anyway, you might be happier if you just did it in moderation...
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    Yeah, I can't do that :noway: ! I already don't do soda for the most part, I have maybe one a month, if that and can easily do that. If I can quit my coffee habit and revert to a once a week decaf, I can quit soda easily. Candy though, I'm not willing to cust that completely out. I don't sit and eat tons of candy, but I won't deprive myself of my one vice once in a while treat. Sorry....
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I really should do this as I read somewhere that asperatine causes hair loss.

No evidence of that. None.

"Evidence does not support links between aspartame and cancer, hair loss, depression, dementia, behavioural disturbances, or any of the other conditions appearing in websites. Agencies such as the Food Standards Agency, European Food Standards Authority, and the Food and Drug Administration have a duty to monitor relations between foodstuffs and health and to commission research when reasonable doubt emerges. Aspartame's safety was convincing to the European Scientific Committee on Food in 1988,2 but proving negatives is difficult, and it is even harder to persuade vocal sectors of the public whose opinions are fuelled more by anecdote than by evidence. The Food Standards Agency takes public concerns very seriously and thus pressed the European Scientific Committee on Food to conduct a further review, encompassing over 500 reports, in 2002. It concluded from biochemical, clinical, and behavioural research that the acceptable daily intake of 40 mg/kg/day of aspartame remained entirely safe—except for people with phenylketonuria."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC520987/
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Ha! there's no way i'm giving up candy for a year.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I never drink soda unless I'm at someone else's house and that's all that is offered. And I'm not much of a candy eater. But I don't think I could honestly say I would never consume either for the entire year. I usually have a little candy around Halloween if nothing else.
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    I cut out soda April 2011 and I haven't regretted it. Best wishes on your journey!
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I rarely have either. Soda is something I only drink at other people's houses or a cup of ginger ale on an airplane. (I don't know why...I like ginger ale when I fly.) Its been a while since I remember when I had any soda though. As for candy, I don't have that very often either. But when I want it, I'm going to eat it. I just don't have to eat a lot of it.