Problem with breakfast.

Options
Hey everyone,
the most troubling meal for me is breakfast,
I have no idea what to eat. I've searched for recipes online but couldn't find anything that fits my parameters so I thought i'd ask here.
I tend to keep my breakfasts under 200 calories, I try to avoid carbs, I don't eat cereal (every type of milk makes me sick)
I don't do dairy. I have no idea what to do. Eggs make me sick (depends on how they are cooked) I can handle egg whites but I don't know how to prepare them in a tasty way that doesn't involve oil. Any suggestions?

Replies

• MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Egg Whites with spinach and diced tomatoes.

Or you can do what I used to love eating, I made a home-made garden salsa, diced Tomatoes, diced Jalepeños, lime juice, diced white onions and diced spring onions (instead of cilantro, I didn't like the minty taste), the smallest pinch of salt and a dab of OVOO. Put this on scrambled egg whites and it's ridiculously good.

Forgot to mention the white onions the first time.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    you could save a bit of leftovers from dinner.

I often have a green smoothie (leafy greens, and a piece of fruit...easy and full of vitamins and minerals, and fibre)

steelcut oatmeal is good too

tofu/veggie scramble

steamed veggies

baked sweet potato

sunwarrior makes a great protein powder and vega makes a good, highly nutritious meal replacement powder
  • freedomischaos
    freedomischaos Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Fish or steak.
    Oats, soak steel cuts overnight in apple juice and make with water, add cinnamon for some amazing tasty food that sticks to your ribs.

I like my eyes over hard and a little scrambled with a little salt and lots of pepper and some red pepper for fun.
    Add a small pad of butter to a hot pan, melts almost all of it away, add egg, let it cook for about 15-30 seconds, pop yellow, and cut up and move about around the pan until cooked well.
  • curlerlikeyou
    Options
    What about a simple scramble? I will sometimes have scramble egg whites with some meat and a bunch of vegetables...

This can also be a great way to use up leftovers!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Get yourself a cast iron pan, properly seasoned (yes with oil, lard what-have you, part of the seasoning... done right this will make a non-stick surface without the addition of teflon or whatever they're using now for non-stick surfaces...
    properly pre-heated before adding your eggs to the pan they won't stick you don't need additional oil to cook them, wipe out with a paper-towel or rag when done and it's ready to go for tomorrow.

Besides that.. no carbs... no dairy... how about a handful of nuts... 23 almonds have 6 grams of carbs, 6 of protein, 14 of healthy fats (don't eat the whole bag in a go) and 164 calories...
  • MarcelDrapalski
    Options
    My problem is that eating breakfast most the time makes me feel ill (like eating any dairy, eggs, oatmeal, meal replacement).
    I never found a good way to make eggs, i don't eat butter or oil, and I don't saute. I only grill or bake.
  • MarcelDrapalski
    Options
    Egg Whites with spinach and diced tomatoes.

Or you can do what I used to love eating, I made a home-made garden salsa, diced Tomatoes, diced Jalepeños, lime juice, diced white onions and diced spring onions (instead of cilantro, I didn't like the minty taste), the smallest pinch of salt and a dab of OVOO. Put this on scrambled egg whites and it's ridiculously good.

Forgot to mention the white onions the first time.

Thank you Domo, I will try that, and it so happens I love cilantro so I guess I'll just replace that :D
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    protein shake with soy or almond milk
    fruit smoothie
    chicken breast
    quinoa

Since you already have so many restrictions on your diet...I wouldn't get over obsessive about eating carbs for breakfast.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Smoothies might be your best bet then, you can mix in a teaspoon of ground flax with every smoothing you make to get that ever needed fibre. Frozen fruit works best but you can use fresh fruit with some ice, add spinach or another dark leafy green to add some extra oomph.

Baked Califlower pancakes with Salmon and lemon are also another really good alternative.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    coffee

skip breakfast

save those calories for later
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Even on mornings when I don't feel like eating, I can always get a banana down.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Just eat your breakfast a little later when your stomach is ready. Grill some steak if that is what you like- and have it sliced ready to go.

Are you lactose intolerant or just highly restrictive with your diet?
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat "breakfast" food for breakfast. Eat a chicken breast or whatever fits into your restrictive diet.
  • runforyourlyfe
    runforyourlyfe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    mash up a banana and mix it with eggwhites, cook it like a pancake. It's delicious!!!!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options

I like my eyes over hard and a little scrambled with a little salt and lots of pepper and some red pepper for fun.

DDDD:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    who says you have to have breakfast food for breakfast? eat what ever you want
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Some like me just skip breakfast and eat later. An NO your metabolism doesn't slow down, nor does it get "kickstarted" because you eat it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    A cup of coffee with a piece of whole wheat toast and some Smart Balance spread keeps me from being outrageously hungry at lunch and doesn't load up my calorie count. But I'll usually include an egg with some garlic powder or cottage cheese because they don't bother me.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    If breakfast makes you sick, don't eat breakfast.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    maybe just skip it