Eating before exercising

Options
2»

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I usually do apples,broccolli, or sweet potatoes with a scoop of whey protein.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    1 tbsp natural pb w my coffee helps me =)
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Levothyroxin

Yes, if you have a hypo thyroid, but to recommend or use a prescriptions medication before a workout, is insane. I don't know of many doctors that would prescribe levothyroxin (Syntroid) just to give energy before a workout or to control hunger/appetite.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I enjoy doing HIIT in a fasted state.
    Some say it burns more actual fat; who really knows?
    When it comes to anything else, I need to eat a few hours before, or forget any real effort.
    I see the best results when I am intense.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I often eat a pure protein (20G) bar before strength training even if I have eaten... Seems to carry me through.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Carbs turn into energy faster than protein. Maybe OJ and apple?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0POjup6fOY
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Anything with fat and protein. Not something with sugar, even fruit.

I learned that lesson the other day when I tried having just a banana and did my best workout since joining MFP (2+ mile run, no walking) but then was dizzy off and on the rest of the day even after I had a steak.
  • UncleRiotous
    Options
    I ride bikes rather than running but I find a banana pretty good. The limited reading I've done would suggest that peanut butter wouldn't be a good idea because while it has lots of calories it has plenty of fat which slows the absorption of that energy.

I tend to find I can ride on an empty stomach first thing in the morning but really struggle on the way home from work (12 miles with a couple of big hills) regardless of how much lunch I eat unless I've had around 100 cals of carb (about 1 banana) about 30 mins before I leave.