Not happy with Weight Goal

Options

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights....

Umm, why is that the only advice I see on this website? You know there are many other things people can do besides lift weights right...?

@OP: I suggest you try and just get more active in terms of workouts. Pick something you enjoy. If you enjoy lifting weight, go for it. It is awesome! But its not your only option. Do some boxing or dance classes or just go outside and run. The main thing is that you are trying to gain some muscle or keep it where it is at currently while reducing the fat percentage

You're right in the sense that it doesn't necessarily have to be "heavy"...but resistance training is really the only way to alter body composition...it's the only way to build/develop muscle which replaces the fat and makes you look good naked.

You "build" muscle on a calorie surplus. You reduce fat when you're eating a reasonable amount under deficit. You can still have your abs showing without much resistance outside of calisthenics. Case and point, MMA, boxers, hikers etc.

You donot NEED weight lifting to "replace" the fat. Start running (if thats your thing), eat properly and you will get rid of that fat. Resistance training is awesome, I love doing it but it is NOT the only way to do it
    Yes... Because MMA fighters and boxers don't spend HOURS EVERY DAY IN THE WEIGHT ROOM.
    tigerpalm.jpg

Read above. Learn a thing or 2 about how boxers workout. Then slap yourself again
    Merry Christmas to you too lol Jesus.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    ^^^Alyanya: Thanks for the advice! I'm glad I'm not the only one....
    ^^1258936: Thanks and I agree! But like I said the problems aren't really my arms (although I'm definitely willing to try weight lifting), it's just my thighs and stomach that are flabby. My thighs are the "part" that is two times bigger than it needs to be.....Thanks everyone, so basically any thigh exerciseS and Stomach work out plans?

I'd recommend the 5x5 stronglifts. Compound, full body work outs will give you a leaner look all over. Google beginner stronglifts, watch youtube videos of each, and try them out.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here and hopefully this is in the right place ;). First off, I want to say that I'm not trying to "fish for compliments" or receive sympathy from you. I just need to vent a little, and hopefully get some advice:) I'm currently 5'5 and 120 pounds. I used to be more in the thirties and forties, but I currently lost weight and am now at my "goal or ideal body weight". But I still look fat:(

I read exactly this far and what popped into my head.. start hittin' the weights! You won't get all bulky and dude-like, and you will love the results!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Genetics are responsible on how you're actually shaped and how your body retains fat. If your legs are "twice as big now" even if you got smaller, they'd still retain the same size in proportion to your body. Blame your parents for that.

But diet, and a balanced exercise routine (good strength and good cardio) are usually the ticket.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Will I bulk up though? I don't mind having muscles, but I really don't want them to be seen If that makes since. Also, what about my tummy and thighs? Thanks for answering!

You will absolutely not bulk up, unless you are eating at a surplus, and even then it is hard work to bulk up with muscle when you are female

This is me UP 10lbs from my starting weight: I'm still working on getting definition. But I was doing weights, and still do strength train. You want to build your muscles and drop your body fat %.

19726820_4192.jpg
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights....

Umm, why is that the only advice I see on this website? You know there are many other things people can do besides lift weights right...?

@OP: I suggest you try and just get more active in terms of workouts. Pick something you enjoy. If you enjoy lifting weight, go for it. It is awesome! But its not your only option. Do some boxing or dance classes or just go outside and run. The main thing is that you are trying to gain some muscle or keep it where it is at currently while reducing the fat percentage

You're right in the sense that it doesn't necessarily have to be "heavy"...but resistance training is really the only way to alter body composition...it's the only way to build/develop muscle which replaces the fat and makes you look good naked.

You "build" muscle on a calorie surplus. You reduce fat when you're eating a reasonable amount under deficit. You can still have your abs showing without much resistance outside of calisthenics. Case and point, MMA, boxers, hikers etc.

You donot NEED weight lifting to "replace" the fat. Start running (if thats your thing), eat properly and you will get rid of that fat. Resistance training is awesome, I love doing it but it is NOT the only way to do it
    Yes... Because MMA fighters and boxers don't spend HOURS EVERY DAY IN THE WEIGHT ROOM.
    tigerpalm.jpg

Read above. Learn a thing or 2 about how boxers workout. Then slap yourself again
    All the boxers and MMA fighters at my gym lift heavy *kitten* weights... it depends on the individual gym and the coach's methods.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Do barbell squats. They're KILLER for your thighs, butt, and tummy. (Google around about them if you're not sure how to do the exercise.)
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Will I bulk up though? I don't mind having muscles, but I really don't want them to be seen If that makes since. Also, what about my tummy and thighs? Thanks for answering!

You will absolutely not bulk up, unless you are eating at a surplus, and even then it is hard work to bulk up with muscle when you are female

This is me UP 10lbs from my starting weight: I'm still working on getting definition. But I was doing weights, and still do strength train. You want to build your muscles and drop your body fat %.

19726820_4192.jpg

Hope she doesn't mind me stealing her pics but my friend LorinaLynn is another great example of what a bulk man monster you'll become by lifting weights:
    3240741_6573.jpg

I know all my guy friends slip into little curvy red dresses all the time...
  • Marina_Love
    Options
    All the boxers and MMA fighters at my gym lift heavy *kitten* weights... it depends on the individual gym and the coach's methods.

Exactly. Different coaches do different things. My boxing coach doesn't use any weight lifting and rely primarily on body weight workouts. So do many other boxing coaches. Tyson used to heavy lift. The other person was just trolling suggesting that I said no boxer/MMA heavy lift.
  • chrissyhy
    Options
    ^^^: Thanks, I will definitely try them!
    ^^ :Thank you so much, that's exactly what I needed! I kind of look like the before pic, so I'm gonna work really hard towards a slimmer body :)
    ^: Yeah, I know. I guess it was just the stereotype, bulkiness equals to weights that got me thinking that, but I understand now :)

Thanks in advance everyone!!!
  • JLLike
    JLLike Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stairmater is great for working your lower body or try spin classes as well as lunges and step ups with weights. Having a trainer help you devise teh right plan to work on your trouble areas. If you have lost a lot of weight it takes time before you recognize menatllly all the changes. I have lost 80lb in teh last year and half and only recently honestely see the definition and toning changes. My trainer swtiched things up we went heavier and while the scale initially went up it is back down but I really can see the difference. You have to tone and you will not bulk up.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You see Yanicka1's before/after pic? The before is sorta what I look like right now.

and she got to the after by lifting heavy weights....

Yanicka....I Mean I was able to transform my body by lifting heavy. Cardio made me a smaller version of my fatter self while lifting heavy completely re shaped my body.

I suggest you read the book " the new rules of lifting for women" you will understand how to get the body you wish for
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Cycling is also very good for toning and strengthening thighs.

Also, I saw that you had recently lost weight. Sometimes it takes time for the skin to firm back up after losing weight. I always continued to shrink for several months after losing scale weight. It happens that way for some people.

At 5'5" and 120, I doubt you really have any extra weight to lose. You may be just so used to seeing your body heavier, that you can't see that it is at a proper weight now. Try not to focus on your imperfections. If you look for them, you will always find them. Even when they aren't really there.

Find some fun activity to do and enjoy being 18!
  • jazzii98
    Options
    You don't 'go into anorexia' by being under weight. Some anorexics aren't even underweight.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. seriously.

8213431311_eecd2df7b1.jpg
    gray top pics by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

in the picture on the left, I am wearing a 42DD bra, and size 16/18 pants. I am in the range of 188-199lbs

In the picture on the right, I am wearing the same EXACT tank top, but a 38C bra, and size 12/14 shorts. I weigh 196 or 197lbs. I have been doing some form of strength training for 10-11 months, heavy lifting for about 2 months.

I found my measurements I took about 8 years ago before I got pregnant with my youngest son. I was 175lbs and wore a tight size 14. My lower body measurements are the same, if not smaller, now than they were back then.
  • chrissyhy
    Options
    You see Yanicka1's before/after pic? The before is sorta what I look like right now.

and she got to the after by lifting heavy weights....

Yanicka....I Mean I was able to transform my body by lifting heavy. Cardio made me a smaller version of my fatter self while lifting heavy completely re shaped my body.

I suggest you read the book " the new rules of lifting for women" you will understand how to get the body you wish for

Thanks for replying! I will look into it!

Jazzi: I know, but people usually assume that someone is going into anorexia when their never satisfied with their weight/body I was just making it clear that I didn't want to do that:)

Sarah and Debbie: Thanks for the advice! Truly inspiring! I will def give strength training a try:)
  • abibt
    abibt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Core strength vinyasa yoga - fantastic all over toning, lots of free stuff on U tube. 17 min day for three weeks and for the first time in my life, I had arm muscles you can see (and no flapping!). Good luck and I hope you feel nice in your body soon.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Lift weights. seriously.

8213431311_eecd2df7b1.jpg
    gray top pics by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

in the picture on the left, I am wearing a 42DD bra, and size 16/18 pants. I am in the range of 188-199lbs

In the picture on the right, I am wearing the same EXACT tank top, but a 38C bra, and size 12/14 shorts. I weigh 196 or 197lbs. I have been doing some form of strength training for 10-11 months, heavy lifting for about 2 months.

I found my measurements I took about 8 years ago before I got pregnant with my youngest son. I was 175lbs and wore a tight size 14. My lower body measurements are the same, if not smaller, now than they were back then.

Amazing. This is what I mean. So many people end up lifting heavy and complaining that their progress is slower and that they're still over weight...but they don't seem to realize how much better and slimmer they look and how they're judging their weight on the bmi scale...a scale for a sedentary adult not for someone who exercises regularly. Great job.
  • chrissyhy
    Options
    Core strength vinyasa yoga - fantastic all over toning, lots of free stuff on U tube. 17 min day for three weeks and for the first time in my life, I had arm muscles you can see (and no flapping!). Good luck and I hope you feel nice in your body soon.

Thank you so much! I currently take Pilates, but may be trying yoga this upcoming year:) I have seen results from it as well!
  • cparkburke
    cparkburke Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I skimmed through all the posts, and I didn't see this mentioned, so I'll bring it up here:

(1) It seems that your body currently "programmed" to store fat in your problem areas. We need to "tell" your body to move that fat out of storage.

(2) One way to move fat out of storage is to increase the INTENSITY of your exercise. In the simplest terms, the workout as a whole needs to feel hard, even VERY HARD at times. Anything that makes a workout more intense will help move fat: more weights, higher reps, shorter breaks, longer walks, faster running, stairs & hills, etc. The key is INTENSITY. Interval training (high work with rests) is great way to get bursts of intensity, and keep the entire workout going for longer.

VERY IMPORTANT: Increasing the intensity of your workout increases your risks of injury. Also, you will need more time to recover, especially if you are older. I strongly recommend consulting a competent trainer to show you how to exercise safely at the correct intensities.

(3) Things that tend to tell your body to store fat: STRESS. Stress includes: excess exercise (yes, at some point more exercise isn't helping), excess calories (especially sugar, alcohol, carbs), lack of sleep, dehydration, bad relationships, money problems, deadlines, finals, bad jobs.

I could go on and on about this, but to keep it simple, here's what you should remember about mobilizing fat:
    - Workout harder, faster, longer, but be safe about it.
    - Get good recovery and sleep.
    - Watch total calories, then sugar & alcohol, then total carbs.
    - Drink water.
    - Manage your overall stress.

Good luck. I hope that helps.