Not happy with Weight Goal

Options

Replies

• Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting improves your WHOLE body not just your arms!!!
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you are. I lose weight, but gained inches and I'm not longer lean and I'm weak. Hair falling out, tired and dizzy spells, ect. A few months back (almost a whole year ago) I started really cutting things out of my diet and started doing an intense free online program called Bodyrock. It's HIIT (High Intense Interval Training) while dieting. NOT a good idea if your mission is to gain muscle. I should have been eating more, not less. My body ate itself so I'm trying to get my body back. What also changed is my mood and mental state. It does a lot to you. I regret doing it but I'm trying my best to rebuild my body back up, gain muscle, speed my metabolism back to where it use to be, get lean and curvier again, stronger, healthier and happier. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, though..... I'd love to do P90X or be trained in person by someone with a lot of knowledge and who can help me but that costs big bucks which we, as a family, do not have. I'm doing what I can with what I have. I'm 5'2 1/2" and currently 100Lbs or 101Lbs but I don't look that small...I look "fatter" than before since I lost a lot of my muscles. :(
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Will I bulk up though? I don't mind having muscles, but I really don't want them to be seen If that makes since. Also, what about my tummy and thighs? Thanks for answering!

What is your bodyfat percentage? Why do you think your thighs are 'supposed' to half what they are now, whose standards are you using? If you don't want to see muscle and you don't want to see fat what do you want to see?

If you are female you have around 10% of the testosterone a male has, this interacts with growth hormone to produce hypertrophy (muscle development). Don't underestimate how much dedication to diet and specific exercise regimes it takes for a male to bulk up, let alone a female - bodybuilding is a sport like any other, it's not something you dabble in and then get a perfectly muscled body it's time and pain over many months. The majority of slim and 'perfect' models, actresses and singing stars strength train.

Not sure what you imagine weightlifting is that it only works the arms, couldn't be further from the truth, in fact it's difficult to isolcate the arm muscles without using the shoulders chest and upper back. Strength/ resistance training can be used to work any or all parts of the body just by moving your lower body in particular ways such that the muscles take the strain differently to when you are just standing or sitting. Find a decent gym and attend a few studio classes, BodyPump, Pilates, tums'n'bums, Boxercise, circuit training should all include resistance or strength training (aka 'toning'). This will teach you safe and effective technique which you can then repeat at home or in the weights room of the gym.
  • chrissyhy
    Options
    Will I bulk up though? I don't mind having muscles, but I really don't want them to be seen If that makes since. Also, what about my tummy and thighs? Thanks for answering!

What is your bodyfat percentage? Why do you think your thighs are 'supposed' to half what they are now, whose standards are you using? If you don't want to see muscle and you don't want to see fat what do you want to see?

If you are female you have around 10% of the testosterone a male has, this interacts with growth hormone to produce hypertrophy (muscle development). Don't underestimate how much dedication to diet and specific exercise regimes it takes for a male to bulk up, let alone a female - bodybuilding is a sport like any other, it's not something you dabble in and then get a perfectly muscled body it's time and pain over many months. The majority of slim and 'perfect' models, actresses and singing stars strength train.

Not sure what you imagine weightlifting is that it only works the arms, couldn't be further from the truth, in fact it's difficult to isolcate the arm muscles without using the shoulders chest and upper back. Strength/ resistance training can be used to work any or all parts of the body just by moving your lower body in particular ways such that the muscles take the strain differently to when you are just standing or sitting. Find a decent gym and attend a few studio classes, BodyPump, Pilates, tums'n'bums, Boxercise, circuit training should all include resistance or strength training (aka 'toning'). This will teach you safe and effective technique which you can then repeat at home or in the weights room of the gym.

My body fat percentage is very high:( (34%) As far as my thighs, what I am saying is I want them to be smaller, slender and lean. I didn't want them to bulk up and become too muscular, but I understand now that they wont because of the testosterone.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

My body fat percentage is very high:( (34%)

Then you need to build muscle to get that ratio down without having your weight heading unhealthily low - a little Pilates and yoga won't be enough for you. I am in much the same boat as you after a lengthy illness and will be returning to weights as soon as I can: I am lucky enough to work/ be qualified in lifestyle healthcare (physical activity and nutrition) so I know how much work it is and how good the results are!

Do some maths, if your weight is 120 pounds and 34% is fat that is 40 pounds of fat. If you wanted to be 24% fat (which will still give you a soft covering, you are unlikely to have a six pack) at the same healthy weight you need to get that down to 29 pounds of fat. So lose 11 pounds of fat and gain 11 pounds of lean tissue, muscle is denser and takes up less space than fat pound for pound so you will be slimmer and firmer. You can of course stop before you achieve that if you feel you have reached your ideal body. Over time this will strengthen your bones as well as your muscle, which may account for some extra weight and reduces your risk of fractures and osteoporosis.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    not fat- doughy. you just need to tone up and you will look less squishy.
  • chrissyhy
    Options

Do some maths, if your weight is 120 pounds and 34% is fat that is 40 pounds of fat. If you wanted to be 24% fat (which will still give you a soft covering, you are unlikely to have a six pack) at the same healthy weight you need to get that down to 29 pounds of fat. So lose 11 pounds of fat and gain 11 pounds of lean tissue, muscle is denser and takes up less space than fat pound for pound so you will be slimmer and firmer. You can of course stop before you achieve that if you feel you have reached your ideal body. Over time this will strengthen your bones as well as your muscle, which may account for some extra weight and reduces your risk of fractures and osteoporosis.

Thank you!!! That is exactly what I need to know! I will loss the eleven pounds, and then gain back the lean tissue and muscles! Thank you so much, good luck with your goal!!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Genetics are responsible on how you're actually shaped and how your body retains fat. If your legs are "twice as big now" even if you got smaller, they'd still retain the same size in proportion to your body. Blame your parents for that.

But diet, and a balanced exercise routine (good strength and good cardio) are usually the ticket.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This is what I was thinking. The first inspiration picture you showed was not from a pear shaped body. In the second picture, the thighs are hidden beneath a dress. Part of this is also learning to love the shape you have. I think you've been given good advice but I wanted to throw this out there to encourage you to also examine your expectations. Some of them can be realistically changed and others are due to genetics.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...If you are female you have around 10% of the testosterone a male has, this interacts with growth hormone to produce hypertrophy (muscle development). Don't underestimate how much dedication to diet and specific exercise regimes it takes for a male to bulk up, let alone a female - bodybuilding is a sport like any other, it's not something you dabble in and then get a perfectly muscled body it's time and pain over many months...
    I've often thought about this when reading these kind of threads. There are some women here on MFP who have developed some very impressive physiques through weight training. I'm surprised that they're not insulted/offended by the insinuation that it was relatively effortless to accomplish what they have....just pick up a few little pink dumbbells and VOILA...hyoogeness! Even female fitness/figure competitors, who are much less bulky and ripped than bodybuilders, put tons of time and effort into their training and nutrition. It doesn't just happen accidentally.

As a guy who's lifted weights (on and off) for over 35 years, I sincerely wish it was as easy as the "but I don't want to get bulky!" women think it is. Putting on mass is hard, hard work (even for a man who's actively TRYING to do so) and involves a lot of time and dedication for comparatively little results. I take my hat off to anybody, male or female, who has developed an awesome physique (especially without steroids) - I've spent plenty of time sweating under the iron, but have never had the guts or all-out dedication it takes to get there.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Then you need to build muscle to get that ratio down without having your weight heading unhealthily low - a little Pilates and yoga won't be enough for you. I am in much the same boat as you after a lengthy illness and will be returning to weights as soon as I can: I am lucky enough to work/ be qualified in lifestyle healthcare (physical activity and nutrition) so I know how much work it is and how good the results are!

Man, gain 11 pounds of lean tissue, just like that? For a woman that will take YEARS. Just saying, don't want anyone to have unrealistic expectations.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Man, gain 11 pounds of lean tissue, just like that? For a woman that will take YEARS. Just saying, don't want anyone to have unrealistic expectations.
    Very true. Here's a link to an article about mass gains, and an excerpt from it (bolded the significant part for emphasis):

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html
    We live in an instant gratification society and are constantly bombarded with amazing claims; while this is probably most true in the world of weight loss, it’s not much different when it comes to muscle gain.

Magazines advertise 20 pounds or rock hard muscle in a mere 8-10 weeks, a supplement promises 5 lbs of muscle in 3 days or whatever; all around we see claims of rapid gains in muscle mass. Sadly, this is all basically bull****. Yeah, with glycogen loading or creatine you can increase lean body mass (not the same as muscle mass) fairly rapidly but beyond that, skeletal muscle actually grows fairly slowly.

How slowly?

On average, a natural male doing everything right will be doing very well to gain 1/2 of pound muscle per week. A female might gain half that or about 1/2 pound muscle every 2 weeks.

Let’s put that in perspective: over a full year of training, assuming the trainee is doing everything right, that’s 26 pounds of the good stuff for men (13 pounds for women). Which, if you think about it, actually isn’t that awful. It’s simply awful compared to what people think they are going to get based on the false promises in the magazines (or the claims of drug using bodybuilders).

That assumes that half-pound is gained week-in, week-out for the entire year. Oddly, and somewhat tangentially, it usually doesn’t work that way. Trainees may go a long time with no measurable gains and then wake up several pounds heavier seemingly overnight. I have no idea why, that’s just how it usually works.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    LIFT HEAVY WEIGHTS, and strength train!

I'm 5'9" and 125 - 128. Our BMI's aren't that far apart. I haven't had any tests done, but I'm gonna guess I have a pretty low body fat percentage. I do a lot of free weight exercises and strength training four to five times a week for an hour. I have been going at this for two years now, so it won't come over night, but it will come if you stick to it.

I made my weight goal a year ago, and although my weight hasn't changed much, my body composition did when I increased my calories for maintenance. My clothes continued smaller, even though I was at the same weight, and I had a more "ripped" look.

Exercise doesn't do much for actual weight loss in my opinion, but it still counts!!!
  • wonderstruck91
    wonderstruck91 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I kept changing/lowering my weight goal as I lost. I am 5'6 & my original GW was 128. I currently weigh about 115 ... which is the lower limit that is still considered "healthy". I am still not totally happy (especially with some belly flab) so I feel like we are in a similar position. Feel free to friend me, I'd love the extra support.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights....

Umm, why is that the only advice I see on this website? You know there are many other things people can do besides lift weights right...?

@OP: I suggest you try and just get more active in terms of workouts. Pick something you enjoy. If you enjoy lifting weight, go for it. It is awesome! But its not your only option. Do some boxing or dance classes or just go outside and run. The main thing is that you are trying to gain some muscle or keep it where it is at currently while reducing the fat percentage

You're right in the sense that it doesn't necessarily have to be "heavy"...but resistance training is really the only way to alter body composition...it's the only way to build/develop muscle which replaces the fat and makes you look good naked.

Muscled doesn't literally replace fat. You gain muscle, yes, but the fat will keep covering it. You need to go through the cutting phase after to burn it off.
  • liquidpete24
    Options
    Vinayasa power yoga will tone up your core and arms and legs like nothing else. These are people who do inverted handstands and stuff when they've been at it for a few hours, like Spider-man poses. Start by learning chatarunga dadasana, Warrior 1, 2, and 3, Eagle Pose, Chair Pose, Tree Pose, and downward facing dog.
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the responses for some great links and advice. In particular this forum has helped me to understand the significance of weighing more and looking better due to muscle development (although my head is still struggling with the concept of gaining weight in order to look slimmer - but that's a head thing!) Thanks also so the OP for really taking the suggestions on board - so refreshing and it sounds like you're really looking into changes to your training to meet your goals. I will take your example and do similarly. Good luck.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options

As women, we don't have a lot of testosterone - we can't get super bulky even if we want to. And we are healthy at a higher body fat percentage than men, so your thighs are probably not twice the size they should be even if you do have some padding. Lifting weights means you will slow the muscle loss and bone loss that occurs as we age - you'll lose less bone density, and make it less likely you'll break a hip or be inactive in your sixties and seventies. Heavy is defined by what is heavy for you - as in, what lift can you do 8 repetitions/set max of(moderate-heavy) vs what can you do 20 repetitions max of(light). It varies a lot by gender, age, or health restrictions, but it is still "lifting heavy".

Thanks for sharing this! I've been trying to figure out for a long time what "heavy lifting" actually is! I've looked on the web, looked at the forums, but never really found out. At least I now know that I'm doing it correctly!
  • BigBigBertha
    BigBigBertha Posts: 208 Member
    Options

I understand what you mean as I also don't want to look muscly, just not flabby. However, I used to do all sorts of weights in the gym at least 3 days a week (concentration on higher reps over weight) and I didn't bulk up but definitely looked overall less flabby. If you don't want to do weights though, you could try pilates. Personally I plan to start the Tracy Anderson Mat Workout DVD soon as she focuses on toning up without bulking up, to look like a dancer rather than a weight lifter.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

^^^ no you will not! That's a myth! Look at my pics...I lift heavy and am hardly bulky! Plus it will rev your metabolism, which, in turn, will help you maintain!
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else is saying....LIFT HEAVY WEIGHTS!!! I've been lifting for a few months and i wish i would've started along time ago! I got down to your weight (by eating very little and tons of cardio) I still thought i looked a little flabby, but i did fit in smaller clothes....anyways...I started eating more and lifting so now i weigh 130ish and my stomach is about 2.5 inches smaller than is was at 120 pounds.....

Before you start aimlessly lifting around in the weight room.... Find a program!!! I had started with 'The New Rules of Lifting For Women".. I liked it and everything but after stage 3 i had to quit..The lifts just got super complicated and i felt like i couldnt progress in strength like i want to. Now i'm looking into a program called Stronglifts 5x5.. It has a free 12 trial program, so im starting that tomorrow :)

And women wont get bulky...but if you dont want your muscle to show you just need to keep a certain percent of fat on your body.

Search the message boards for women heavy lifting results... you will be inspired :)