Got some hand weights-now what?

Options
We celebrated our Christmas today (have 3 more to go!-yowzaaa) and my hubby bought me a weight set consisting of 3, 5, and 8lb hand weights.

Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction on how to use these or if there is a routine I can follow? I'm a bit of a wimp in the muscle dept. so I'd really like to build some.

Thanks!

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Well.....not sure what you can really do using weights so light. I'd recommend doing exercises using your body weight instead.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    tell hubby to take them back and get you some kettlebells: 15, 20 and 30 pounds should be good as starters.

you'll have more room to grow with the kettlebells those weights than the hand weights that probably weight less than your purse
  • theMIDDLE
    Options
    with weights that light, I would suggest cardo/circuit training workouts. they are really just there to provide light resistance and keep your form. try a Jillian Michaels dvd like the 30 day shred and you'll get a decent burn and get to use your new weights. have fun!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    tell hubby to take them back and get you some kettlebells: 15, 20 and 30 pounds should be good as starters.

you'll have more room to grow with the kettlebells those weights than the hand weights that probably weight less than your purse

Agree with this.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Your purse probably weighs 8 pounds, I'd get something heavier.
  • gailrobbo
    gailrobbo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    At least there's one positive helpful answer. Good luck with you wieghts. Start steady and build on it.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    At least there's one positive helpful answer. Good luck with you wieghts. Start steady and build on it.

I believe we all told her to get heavier weights, which is a helpful answer.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Um... you lift them!

:happy:

I've seen books on different workouts with hand weights. You should check out your local library or Amazon.

Yes, heavier weights are more productive, but if you're just starting out and are looking to get comfortable working out with weights, some dumb bells are a great start!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Um... you lift them!

I've seen books on different workouts with hand weights. You should check out your local library or Amazon.

Yes, heavier weights are more productive, but if you're just starting out and are looking to get comfortable working out with weights, some dumb bells are a great start!

Good advice - don't worry about the heavy lifting snobs - I started with that exact 3/5/8 lbs set and Jillian Michaels, and have now done stronglifts, Chalean Xtreme (for which I had to get adjustbale up to 50lbs dumbels and used them up to 50lbs....
    You have to start somewhere and JM's dvd's are actually a good place to start...
    Enjoy!
  • KaeChelle77
    Options
    I'm a beginner and using 3 to 5 pounds in each hand feels like a workout to me. Yes, I'm sure heavier weights are better, but you can begin to build strength with lighter weights, then increase as needed. You can search youtube for some routines.

Here's a couple I just came across, but I haven't tried them. These are 20 and 30 minute videos, but there are shorter ones too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTJesxB1aZY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWLr-_dvzms
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Um... you lift them!

These are both excellent advise!

Good advice - don't worry about the heavy lifting snobs - I started with that exact 3/5/8 lbs set and Jillian Michaels, and have now done stronglifts, Chalean Xtreme (for which I had to get adjustbale up to 50lbs dumbels and used them up to 50lbs....
    You have to start somewhere and JM's dvd's are actually a good place to start...
    Enjoy!
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I want to start lifting..I've heard that heavier weights are better. Not sure, since I'm just learning all this. Hope you get some more helpful answers.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    those are great weights to start out with. If you get a routine down you will get a good workout from them. U don't have to lift heavier than that to start out with.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    yeah- i've got spaghetti arms and i use my 5lb weights to do the jillian michaels 30ds. and i started with the 3lbers. and it hurt. i do intend to get better- i'm just not going to be daft about it and start with a 15lb weight that i may drop on my face when i'm doing chest fly's.

ETA- i want to lift heavy- i really do! but i want to build up to it.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

What are you carrying in your purse? My purse weights 3.4 lbs.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

What are you carrying in your purse? My purse weights 3.4 lbs.

she must be carrying a brick.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Lighter dumbbells are good for cardio-based workouts like the Jillian Michaels DVDs. Start with the lightest and work your way up.

I'm a big fan of heavy lifting and can bench press 100 pounds now, but I started out using resistance bands, and then 2 pound, and then 5 pound dumbbells. I can honestly say I wish I made the switch to heavier weights sooner, but a bunch of people barking at me that what I was doing was pointless wouldn't have made me change my mind any faster. I had to reach the point where I felt I was no longer getting any benefit from the 5 pounders.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. Do it.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    This site has a pretty exhaustive list of hand weight exercises, complete with animations:
    http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/

First, kudos to you and your husband; I think that's a great gift! And congrats on dropping some serious poundage.
    Second, good for you for being smart about starting low. You can always work your way up -- AND starting low is a good way to avoid injury while you're learning form.

I started with a Thera-Band 3.3-lb soft weight, worked my way up through that system (4.4, 5.5, and 6.6 lbs) and am currently lifting 10-lb hex dumbbells. I'll be the first to tell you that they can get challenging in my later reps!

Above all, have fun. :-)