Got some hand weights-now what?

Options

Replies

• dunlunicor
    dunlunicor Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Here's a good list of beginner's strength stuff: http://www.mydr.com.au/sports-fitness/strength-training-exercises
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Another vote for starting out with circuit training videos like 30 day shred. I have 3 pound weights at home and using them during 30DS had my arms sore for days (I had ZERO fitness when I started...).
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Those are fine weights to work out with. I use 5 lbs ones and at times they are too heavy! There are alot of videos on youtube that combine cardio with weights and you start doing them and you will feel the weights. One I recently did I had to put down the weights and just did the arm movements. People who tell you those are wimpy weights, etc. are into pumping iron? The smaller weights are great for other exercises. I do use my 5lbs held together for some tricep work. Let me find those videos for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DYF0sLpFbQ&list=PL3wS2GNRNZNNvaWIfWGpRdYuvCLcXT1-3&index=26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_uoIFDEFxs&list=PL3wS2GNRNZNNvaWIfWGpRdYuvCLcXT1-3&index=29

Am sure there are more like that. Have fun!
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I use 3, 5 and 10 pound weights and they work for me. I got a lot of good ideas from this site http://www.teachpe.com/strengthening/free_weights.php - Hope it helps.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if your home is drafty, and you tend to leave papers and stuff around, you can use them to weigh them down so they don't fly away.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    youtube search: "what can i do with dumbbells". there are a gazillion exercises.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    go to wal mart or target and get the 30 day shred for about $8.00

u can use those weights for that dvd and it is a great way to introduce you to using them
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Find some DVDs or Youtube videos using weights. I'm doing 30 Day Shred right now.
  • pennysaurus
    pennysaurus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    if your home is drafty, and you tend to leave papers and stuff around, you can use them to weigh them down so they don't fly away.

To be fair we all started somewhere. I started with these weights doing 30 day shred. Then did the nerd fitness bodyweight workout, new rules of lifting for women and now stronglifts. Start with 30 day shred or some circuit based workout and go from there. Good luck.
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't see them as that useful for just 'lifting', despite the 'duh' posts.

However, I would consider adding them to an aerobic workout to make it tougher.

After being cajoled in to a 'Just Dance' session by a friend's girlfriend, me and said friend add light weight dumbbells, which makes it in to a decent workout.
    I also used to use 1kg (2.2lb) ones in each hand when shadow boxing to make it harder and heavier than a boxing glove would be; so when you actually put the gloves on it feels pretty light.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

this.

or a doorstop for a door that keeps swinging shut on you?

I had some 5s once. I gave them to my ten year old. He's 12 now and has outgrown them and he only weighs 60 pounds...

(but on a non-sarcastic note...yes, they're perfect for 30 day shred. Then once you have finished it, sell the shred and the weights at a yard sale because you will be ready to move on by that point.)
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

this.

I had some 5s once. I gave them to my ten year old. He's 12 now and has outgrown them and he only weighs 60 pounds...

get over yourself

you were a beginner once
  • robin52077
    Options

this.

get over yourself

you were a beginner once

yes I was, and I did the shred with the 5 pound weights...and it was hard at first...but now I realize that they ARE only for beginners and they WILL be outgrown in short order by ANYONE who is actually trying to change their body.
  • pennysaurus
    pennysaurus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So Robin you too started with the 5lbers yet you are going to be patronising to somenoe who is new to it. There is no doubt she will progress and outgrow them. Thats the idea, right?

It makes me laugh at the amount of "heavy lifters" who feel so superior to others. You ain't that special. Its only liftin
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

this.

get over yourself

you were a beginner once

yes I was, and I did the shred with the 5 pound weights...and it was hard at first...but now I realize that they ARE only for beginners and they WILL be outgrown in short order by ANYONE who is actually trying to change their body.

So nice of you to acknowledge that you were once a beginner too......The OP stated that she is new to this - good job for talking down to her ....you really need to get over yourself......
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    So Robin you too started with the 5lbers yet you are going to be patronising to somenoe who is new to it. There is no doubt she will progress and outgrow them. Thats the idea, right?

It makes me laugh at the amount of "heavy lifters" who feel so superior to others. You ain't that special. Its only liftin

Very well said.

I am honoured to know a small number of lifters who are not patronising, unhelpful and falsely superior and actually make efforts to make new people feel welcome and give them sound knowledge to start their strength training journey with.

Sadly, Robin, you are not one of those.
  • robin52077
    Options
    FFS people...does nobody have a damn funny bone?
    I thought Captain Apollo's joke was humorous and I ran with it...

I'm not talking down to anyone...

you all need to get over yourselves not me..I never claimed to have been better than anyone.

I stated the truth, they are useless after a short while.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

you all need to get over yourselves not me..I never claimed to have been better than anyone.

Don't drag me into this.

You're on your own toots.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

let's try this again..........

get over yourself