Losing weight is SIMPLE not complicated

Options

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Only thing I would add to this is;

Accept that weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you will lose. Some weeks you will stay the same. And some weeks you will gain! But as long as the trend is downward you're on the right track.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

Accept that weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you will lose. Some weeks you will stay the same. And some weeks you will gain! But as long as the trend is downward you're on the right track.

The OP has it right...plus this ^^^
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    "rickyll does not have any friends yet"
    and not looking likely if this thread is anything to go by...

I'll fix that ;)
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    *Rickyll crits the forums for over 9000*

*Victory music in the background*
  • SaraO41
    Options
    Good no nonsense report there, can you tell me where the calculator is please?
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    losing weight is the easiest thing in the world. Losing fat while retaining muscle is a different matter however.
  • hopestobelost
    Options
    You're right. Easy as falling off a log. Eat less-exercise more. Burn more than is required to maintain your current weight and you will lose weight. (Why is it so hard then!? That's the question for me.) Personally, I think MyFitnessPal may have calculated my maintenance level of calories a little low - but we'll see. I just feel like I eat a little more than the amount they calculated. But again, we'll see. I really love this site though.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Your straightforward, common sense post seems to have made the system go haywire.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    This is not the case for everyone. No matter what calories I eat if my carbs creep up a little all weight loss stops. 1500 calories + 150 carbs... Equals 6 months long frustrating plateau. 1500 cals at 120 carbs lose around 2lbs a week...

Everyone Is different. Please don't label everyone as the same. It is messages like this one that had me believing I was doing everything right and I didn't know why I wasn't losing... It stopped me changing things up!

Not saying my way is the right way for everyone, because everyone is different. I honestly believe if it was just calories in vs calories out there wouldn't be so many obese people. Also along the line of 86lbs lost what works for me has changed a few times along the way... There is always readjusting to find out what will not work for YOU!

Please stop putting out these blanket messages. There might be some people sticking to what your saying and it's not working like it didn't for me... My message to people is to find out what works for you... This will take time and patience but is possible. Play with the micronutrients.

I also believe when you change something you should wait 4 weeks to see if it has worked as your body may freak out the first week or 2 and gain or not lose.

If it's calories in vs calories out your very lucky... So stay with that... If your not so lucky then I want you people to know there is hope by playing with your macros!

Thank you.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-16210-1352130009-7.gif
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    I have a sudden, inexplicable desire for uggs, replica watches and Arabic lessons. Don't know why.
  • Valmon
    Valmon Posts: 12
    Options
    I was wondering... are there really people who buy because they saw spam advertising?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    It's simple but not easy.

This.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    The real question is "How many calories does a person need a day?"

Everyone has a different answer, and usually the answer changes every day.

The answer requires some pretty advanced knowledge of algebra or possibly even calculus to get a number that is even remotely close.

Good luck with that one!
  • wild_wild_life
    Options

The answer requires some pretty advanced knowledge of algebra or possibly even calculus to get a number that is even remotely close.

Do you really think so? TDEE calculators are good for a ballpark, then trial and error (ie monitoring weight vs calorie input over a few weeks or months) will give you your maintenance level pretty easily. No higher math required.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    This is not the case for everyone. No matter what calories I eat if my carbs creep up a little all weight loss stops. 1500 calories + 150 carbs... Equals 6 months long frustrating plateau. 1500 cals at 120 carbs lose around 2lbs a week...

Everyone Is different. Please don't label everyone as the same. It is messages like this one that had me believing I was doing everything right and I didn't know why I wasn't losing... It stopped me changing things up!

Not saying my way is the right way for everyone, because everyone is different. I honestly believe if it was just calories in vs calories out there wouldn't be so many obese people. Also along the line of 86lbs lost what works for me has changed a few times along the way... There is always readjusting to find out what will not work for YOU!

Please stop putting out these blanket messages. There might be some people sticking to what your saying and it's not working like it didn't for me... My message to people is to find out what works for you... This will take time and patience but is possible. Play with the micronutrients.

I also believe when you change something you should wait 4 weeks to see if it has worked as your body may freak out the first week or 2 and gain or not lose.

If it's calories in vs calories out your very lucky... So stay with that... If your not so lucky then I want you people to know there is hope by playing with your macros!

Thank you.

It's a wonder how the medical profession can do anything at all, since EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. LOL.

Everyone is the same. Get over it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Do you really think so? TDEE calculators are good for a ballpark, then trial and error (ie monitoring weight vs calorie input over a few weeks or months) will give you your maintenance level pretty easily. No higher math required.

I calculated my TDEE over a five month period using basic math. The concept is averaging numbers, which is learned way before algebra.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Thank you.

It's a wonder how the medical profession can do anything at all, since EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. LOL.

Another special snowflake!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Thank you.

I was wondering when someone was going to call her out . . . also what's this about playing with micronutrients? :noway:
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Want to know the secret to losing weight or gaining weight?
    Here it is:

Find out what your daily caloric maintenance level is. (This is the amount of calories your body burns in a day without any exercise)
    This is how fast your metabolism is. myfitnesspal has a decent calculator for this but it usually takes a week or two of experimenting with how much you intake to know your true caloric maintenance level.

For example, it said my maintenance level was 2800 calories a day. After a few weeks of trying to gain weight unsuccessfully, I found my level was more around 3000 calories a day so I adjusted my diet.

If you want to lose weight, first, start with eating 100 or 200 calories less than that amount every day for a week. Weigh yourself after a week and see your results. No change? (because the online calculator maybe didn't get it right) adjust and see what happens the next week.

That's it! Also, know that it does not matter what you eat when it comes to losing weight. You can eat Mcdonalds every day and still lose weight if you eat below your maintenance level. Of course you don't want to eat Mcdonald's everyday because you want to lose weight AND be healthy! two different things!
    And you don't address the real problem. The mental aspect behind it all. Take your 1st (and last I hope) and be gone.