Losing weight is SIMPLE not complicated

Options

Replies

• BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    You're right. Easy as falling off a log. Eat less-exercise more. Burn more than is required to maintain your current weight and you will lose weight. (Why is it so hard then!? That's the question for me.) Personally, I think MyFitnessPal may have calculated my maintenance level of calories a little low - but we'll see. I just feel like I eat a little more than the amount they calculated. But again, we'll see. I really love this site though.
    Your profile says you need to lose 50lbs. Is that profile picture actually you? The only way you'll safely lose 50lbs is if you cut one of your legs off. And "safely" is relative here.
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
  • rickyll
    Options
    Want to know the secret to losing weight or gaining weight?
    Here it is:

Find out what your daily caloric maintenance level is. (This is the amount of calories your body burns in a day without any exercise)
    This is how fast your metabolism is. myfitnesspal has a decent calculator for this but it usually takes a week or two of experimenting with how much you intake to know your true caloric maintenance level.

For example, it said my maintenance level was 2800 calories a day. After a few weeks of trying to gain weight unsuccessfully, I found my level was more around 3000 calories a day so I adjusted my diet.

If you want to lose weight, first, start with eating 100 or 200 calories less than that amount every day for a week. Weigh yourself after a week and see your results. No change? (because the online calculator maybe didn't get it right) adjust and see what happens the next week.

That's it! Also, know that it does not matter what you eat when it comes to losing weight. You can eat Mcdonalds every day and still lose weight if you eat below your maintenance level. Of course you don't want to eat Mcdonald's everyday because you want to lose weight AND be healthy! two different things!
    And you don't address the real problem. The mental aspect behind it all. Take your 1st (and last I hope) and be gone.

You're right, I did not talk about the mental aspect but that's not what the post is about. There are other aspects, but I was just really cutting it down to the simplicity of it all, the simple biology of it. From your picture, I can tell you know I'm right. Oh and another thing, this most definitely will not be my last post. Cheers!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    A 100-200 calorie deficit would give a pound loss every 2-4 weeks. Most people don't have the patience for that, especially if they have a lot to lose.
  • onyxgirl17
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-16210-1352130009-7.gif

Oh. My. Gawd.

I love this gif :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ma_oeuvre
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-16210-1352130009-7.gif

^^^^ This is my favourite GIF ever posted on MFP. EVER.
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Rick do you have anymore life knowledge you would like to bestow on us...

my 4 year old has piles of impossible to answer questions we would like you to answer...

:laugh:
  • rickyll
    Options

my 4 year old has piles of impossible to answer questions we would like you to answer...

Please, send the questions my way. I'm here most hours of the day unless I'm eating, woking or at the gym! I'm GREAT with kids too. Don't judge the validity of my information by my age. I know what I'm talking about. If you're in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight, if you're in a caloric surplus, you will gain weight. Sure there are other aspects (exercise, motivation etc) but the point of the post was to bring everyone back down to ground level and to see that at the end of the day, it's that simple principle that is always at work.
  • rickyll
    Options
    A 100-200 calorie deficit would give a pound loss every 2-4 weeks. Most people don't have the patience for that, especially if they have a lot to lose.

then increase the deficit.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Don't know what everyone's getting on the OP's case for.

It was his first post and he gave some simple and accurate information.
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

Please, send the questions my way. I'm here most hours of the day unless I'm eating, woking or at the gym! I'm GREAT with kids too. Don't judge the validity of my information by my age. I know what I'm talking about. If you're in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight, if you're in a caloric surplus, you will gain weight. Sure there are other aspects (exercise, motivation etc) but the point of the post was to bring everyone back down to ground level and to see that at the end of the day, it's that simple principle that is always at work.

i have nothing against your original post there are a lot of people who do not know this very basic information and im sure others did need reminding. But seriously this kid asks the hardest questions.... and some of my answers just arent cutting it anymore

• SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Shut the front door!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Also, know that it does not matter what you eat when it comes to losing weight. You can eat Mcdonalds every day and still lose weight if you eat below your maintenance level.

I completely agree with this. I eat Chipotle every week (there were a few weeks I ate it 3 times a week but I wouldn't recommend that) and I consistently lose weight.
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I think what he is saying is that it's not always as important what you eat, as to how much you eat. When I joined 3 and a half on the ago, I didn't really change what I ate, just how much. It worked. After educating myself a bit in the ways of nutrition, I don't even eat like I used to. I live a Paleo lifestyle. I went to MCDs the other day (before i went paleo), and saw my old favorite steak egg cheese bagel sandwich. 710 calories. I just walked back out. I haven't eaten there since.
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Trolls, get back under your bridges.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Trolls, get back under your bridges.
    The "trolling" isn't saying he's wrong, just that what he is saying is common sense talked about here daily and he talks about it as if it's groundbreaking material. It's widely known that you lose if you take in fewer calories than you burn and it doesn't matter where they come from. Thank you Law of Thermodynamics. I remember the twinkie diet. All that was eaten was twinkies, but weight was lost. Awesome, I think? Again, law of thermodynamics. You want to lose weight while keeping the muscle you have (because you aren't going to eat at a calorie deficit and gain muscle), it's a whole different ballgame. That's what people want. To be toned and cut after losing weight and not look like they just did time in a concentration camp. There is nutrient split, pre workout needs, post workout needs, suplementation, and many other things. I guess it is simple, but at the same time, it isn't.
  • onyxgirl17
    Options

then increase the deficit.

Just so you know, I agree with your principle. It's no nonsense and makes sense. I was just saying that this isn't a one size fits all thing. Most people start off with a larger deficit so they can see progress. As people get closer to goal a 100-200 calorie cut is better.

Welcome to the forum :)
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Want to know the secret to losing weight or gaining weight?
    Here it is:

Find out what your daily caloric maintenance level is. (This is the amount of calories your body burns in a day without any exercise)
    This is how fast your metabolism is. myfitnesspal has a decent calculator for this but it usually takes a week or two of experimenting with how much you intake to know your true caloric maintenance level.

For example, it said my maintenance level was 2800 calories a day. After a few weeks of trying to gain weight unsuccessfully, I found my level was more around 3000 calories a day so I adjusted my diet.

If you want to lose weight, first, start with eating 100 or 200 calories less than that amount every day for a week. Weigh yourself after a week and see your results. No change? (because the online calculator maybe didn't get it right) adjust and see what happens the next week.

That's it! Also, know that it does not matter what you eat when it comes to losing weight. You can eat Mcdonalds every day and still lose weight if you eat below your maintenance level. Of course you don't want to eat Mcdonald's everyday because you want to lose weight AND be healthy! two different things!

Well, I think most people on this site know this, that's why we're here!!! Lol.

The trick is to know the calorie count of what you eat, because honestly before I had no idea. That's why I love this site, I can just punch in what I'm eating and monitor it.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    There it is. Its that easy. *snaps fingers* LOOKIE THERE! Im skinny now! :noway:

Ummm, it really IS that simple and easy. It was for me, because I was driven, and I exercised self-control. It takes TIME, but it's not HARD.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    This is not the case for everyone. No matter what calories I eat if my carbs creep up a little all weight loss stops. 1500 calories + 150 carbs... Equals 6 months long frustrating plateau. 1500 cals at 120 carbs lose around 2lbs a week...

Everyone Is different. Please don't label everyone as the same. It is messages like this one that had me believing I was doing everything right and I didn't know why I wasn't losing... It stopped me changing things up!

Not saying my way is the right way for everyone, because everyone is different. I honestly believe if it was just calories in vs calories out there wouldn't be so many obese people. Also along the line of 86lbs lost what works for me has changed a few times along the way... There is always readjusting to find out what will not work for YOU!

Please stop putting out these blanket messages. There might be some people sticking to what your saying and it's not working like it didn't for me... My message to people is to find out what works for you... This will take time and patience but is possible. Play with the micronutrients.

I also believe when you change something you should wait 4 weeks to see if it has worked as your body may freak out the first week or 2 and gain or not lose.

If it's calories in vs calories out your very lucky... So stay with that... If your not so lucky then I want you people to know there is hope by playing with your macros!

Thank you.

How do you know your real TDEE, and how many calories you where really consuming? Because some inaccurate online calculator told you?

trial and error.