carb/fat/protein ratio

Options

Replies

• katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 45/30/25 (c/f/p), but I usually eat more protein than that. My LBM is 88 lbs. and 25% of my usually 2200 calories is kinda high for that (almost 1.5), so I try not to go crazy high, but sometimes end up eat 2xLBM and still staying around 25 or 30%. Other days I go way over on carbs, tho, so I feel like it evens out, and I'm maintaining over the last almost 3 months, so it's working--just try to make sure to lose you eat at a deficit and you will be fine unless as Dan says you are particularly sensitive to carbs.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I am aware of these recommendations and have watched Aragon's roundtable's. My point was - and I have added back the quotes you missed off, how can you say 20% is fine when you do not know what that equates to in g or in g as a % of either LBM or body weight - the OP gave neither. If she is on a 1,200 calorie intake, that equals 240 calories which equals 60g, This is not that much higher than the RDA which in studies, which if you follow Aragon and Helms you will know, has been shown to be sub-optimal, especially for people in a deficit and who are strength training.
    I section off the quotes to avoid giant quote boxes, I don't mean to take anything you say out of context. As for your comment on optimization... doing strength training while on a 1,200 calorie diet is sub-optimal period. And that is IF she is in a 1,200 calorie diet, but since we're playing the "'if' game"... suppose it's the other way around and she is on a 2000+ calorie diet, would your argument against my statement still stand?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am aware of these recommendations and have watched Aragon's roundtable's. My point was - and I have added back the quotes you missed off, how can you say 20% is fine when you do not know what that equates to in g or in g as a % of either LBM or body weight - the OP gave neither. If she is on a 1,200 calorie intake, that equals 240 calories which equals 60g, This is not that much higher than the RDA which in studies, which if you follow Aragon and Helms you will know, has been shown to be sub-optimal, especially for people in a deficit and who are strength training.
    I section off the quotes to avoid giant quote boxes, I don't mean to take anything you say out of context. As for your comment on optimization... doing strength training while on a 1,200 calorie diet is sub-optimal period. And that is IF she is in a 1,200 calorie diet, but since we're playing the "'if' game"... suppose it's the other way around and she is on a 2000+ calorie diet, would your argument against my statement still stand?

You are still not seeming to get my point. My comment was..how can you say that 20% is OK without knowing her calories or weight....simple as that.

I am not playing the guessing game and that is exactly what I am trying to get at.
  • jayche
    Options
    You are still not seeming to get my point. My comment was..how can you say that 20% is OK without knowing her calories or weight....simple as that.
    How can you say otherwise without knowing her calories or weight?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You did not ask so you cannot know. That is all I was saying. There are a myriad of possibilities where 20% is not optimal. Where did I say it was not?
  • jayche
    Options
    You did not ask so you cannot know. That is all I was saying. There are a myriad of possibilities where 20% is not optimal.
    And there are more than a myriad of possibilities where it is... where are we getting with this?
    There are a myriad of possibilities of everything (as in every macro split) not being optimal, which is why I also stated (first page of this thread).
    Everyone needs to play with their numbers a little bit and see what works for them!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Different persons have tried different things and had it work for them. How you train is also a factor, whether your preferred training methods are short-duration/high intensity, or long-duration/moderate intensity. Personally I'm doing 35%c/35%p/30%f and it's working for me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You did not ask so you cannot know. That is all I was saying. There are a myriad of possibilities where 20% is not optimal.
    And there are more than a myriad of possibilities where it is... where are we getting with this?
    There are a myriad of possibilities of everything (as in every macro split) not being optimal, which is why I also stated (first page of this thread).
    Everyone needs to play with their numbers a little bit and see what works for them!

I am not trying to get anywhere - just to point out that it is better to find out more information that to say something like 20% is ok. I am not sure why that is such a hard concept or why it requires such debate,
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

You did not ask so you cannot know. That is all I was saying. There are a myriad of possibilities where 20% is not optimal. Where did I say it was not?

This ^

Example: when I near the end of my cut, I'm at 2100 calories. 20% of this would be 420 calories which would be about 105g protein. This is insufficient.

However when bulking, I consume ~3200 or so. 20% is 640 calories or 160g protein. This is much closer to being a reasonable intake.

This is an example of how protein values change as calories change when you recommend a percentage instead of a target in grams per lb.

I believe this was Sara's point and she is correct to raise the question, IMO.
  • jayche
    Options
    I am not trying to get anywhere - just to point out that it is better to find out more information that to say something like 20% is ok. I am not sure why that is such a hard concept or why it requires such debate,
    Not sure why you continued the discussion/debate after I mentioned this then...
    ...I'm simply giving my OP an opinion based on the information given... is it liable to change in light of new information? Absolutely.

Edit: By my own admission I said my recommendation would change if new information was the surface that would put protein intake at a sub-optimal standard, but my opinion still stands that 50c/20p/30f would still work for the majority of caloric intake levels (at least more than any other % based formula).
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

This ^

Example: when I near the end of my cut, I'm at 2100 calories. 20% of this would be 420 calories which would be about 105g protein. This is insufficient.

However when bulking, I consume ~3200 or so. 20% is 640 calories or 160g protein. This is much closer to being a reasonable intake.

This is an example of how protein values change as calories change when you recommend a percentage instead of a target in grams per lb.

Yep
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    nvmd - head/wall
  • jayche
    Options
    nvmd - head/wall
    Comments such as these don't contribute to the OP's question at all, don't see the reasoning behind posting this.

The OP is seeking to maintain her weight, not enter a cutting phase/lose weight, there is no need for her to be in a deficit. I would argue that 105g of protein would be enough but again do what works for you, I'm simply working off of my own experiences and research.

Quote from the original post:
    ...I'm keen to maintain and possibly slightly build muscle and just lose fat/get leaner
  • SideSteel
    Options
    nvmd - head/wall
    Comments such as these don't contribute to the OP's question at all, don't see the reasoning behind posting this.

The OP is seeking to maintain her weight, not enter a cutting phase/lose weight, there is no need for her to be in a deficit. I would argue that 105g of protein would be enough but again do what works for you, I'm working off of my own experiences and research.
    ...I'm keen to maintain and possibly slightly build muscle and just lose fat/get leaner

The point of my post was strictly to explain how protein values change as calories change, when using a percentage recommendation. This is why recommending a percentage may be inaccurate, unless you know the persons bodyweight, goals, and caloric intake.
  • jayche
    Options
    The point of my post was strictly to explain how protein values change as calories change, when using a percentage recommendation. This is why recommending a percentage may be inaccurate, unless you know the persons bodyweight, goals, and caloric intake.
    And I whole-heartedly agree with you...
    I'm simply giving my OP an opinion based on the information given... is it liable to change in light of new information? Absolutely.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
  • jayche
    Options
    Did I quote you? No!
    Was this then targeted at the OP or anyone else in the thread?
  • SideSteel
    Options

This ^

How do you know it's insufficient, have you tried it?

I trust the multiple studies showing lbm losses in a caloric deficit at lower protein intakes. Protein Roundtable cover this thoroughly.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    35% protein
    35% carbs
    30% fat

That's working well for me. Gets me losing weight, feeling full and I think it will be good ratios for strength training.

Zara x
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I am maintaining on 35/35/30. I play around with the percentages until what I eat feels right and fits with my training programme, right now these percentages are pretty good...you need to experiment yourself and see what works.