Food Scale

Options
Do you use one? Which ones are the better ones? I guess my meat most of the time. Also, I am guessing that the calorie counter here counts the meat before being cooked (as is required for restaurants and such)? I think that I will need to start doing this as soon as I can afford a scale. I wish to be as accurate as possible. I do not fully trust my estimation...

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    You can buy one on Amazon for $25....I"m sure they have them at Target and other department stores.

Just get one big enough to hold a plate or bowl, makes it much easier to measure ingredients.

It makes a huge difference. I've used mine for five years..I have this one.

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356283703&sr=8-1&keywords=digital+food+scale
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Thanks! So, I need to weight my meat before I cook it, right? When I went to culinary school, that is what I was told we are supposed to do.
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    I use the biggest loser brand weight scale- it's made a huge difference. I got it at Walmart for 24 dollars but you can get it online or at bed bah and beyond for cheaper. I measure my meat before I cook it. Wen I buy I need package of chicken I just measure according and cut portions ahead of time for quick cooking later
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Thanks! So, I need to weight my meat before I cook it, right? When I went to culinary school, that is what I was told we are supposed to do.

Some meats have lots of fat that is removed during most cooking methods, so those really make a difference. Some meats like boneless skinless chicken breasts lose mostly water weight by cooking.

Then there is the problem of what to do when it is a large roasted meat item, say a rib roast, or turkey. In those cases I would weigh the portion after cooking, and I know my calorie estimation may be way off. In the database there are entries for cooked and raw. So you could pick and choose....which I sometimes do. Most of the time I guesstimate on roasts or whole poultry.

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I use the biggest loser brand weight scale- it's made a huge difference. I got it at Walmart for 24 dollars but you can get it online or at bed bah and beyond for cheaper. I measure my meat before I cook it. Wen I buy I need package of chicken I just measure according and cut portions ahead of time for quick cooking later
    That is a great idea!
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Here's the one I use. I like that the display can be pulled away so that large items (large a baking sheet) can be weighed.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Stainless-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B000WJMTNA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356294383&sr=8-1&keywords=oxo+food+scale
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I got this one as a gift and I absolutely love it. The reviews aren't that great, but they are by people who got lemon machines, nothing to do with the scale.,

http://www.target.com/p/taylor-digital-black-glass-food-scale/-/A-13370919#guest-reviews

Highly recommend getting one. I found quite a few options at my local Target and Bed Bath and Beyond.

Makes measuring your meats a lot lot easier. After using it I realized I was overestimating my meat size and adding too many calories because of it.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I bought an 18.00 one from Walmart and I love it!
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I got one at a $10 gift exchange last night. Was pretty stoked... it is Starfrit brand, so probably from Zellers (Canada) or Target?
  • lioness0806
    lioness0806 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    So, heres a question. When you use the scale with a dish - do you weigh the dish first then subtract whatever that weight is from the food?
    Don't mean to sound ignorant, but if I get myself one I want to be as accurate as possible.
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Most scales let you zero the display ie add plate/bowl, hit the zero button and it zeros the weight, if you are using multiple ingredients you should be able to zero the scale after each ingredient, this saves too many complex calculations.
  • lioness0806
    lioness0806 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Now I can make informed decision on what I need.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I asked Santa for a digital one. I've been using a 30 yr old postage scale.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I bought a digital one from Walmart. It works.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have some food scales, but I don't use them.

Since only I eat my food, I usually look up the mass of something per tablespoon and then multiply/divide to get the "single serving" weight on the nutrition info panel. Once the container is empty, I go back and see if I've been under-/over-estimating the serving sizes or if it is close enough.

Cartons of juice/milk, I make a food note about when I opened them. I hold it up to the light and use my finger to see how full it is, and to see if I've drunk approximately a quarter/fifth of the bottle (serving size). After 4/5 days, the irregularities even out as I finish off the bottle.

However, I can't cook (medical issue) so do not have as much use for kitchen scales. I am thinking of taking my scales to the parents for Christmas dinner although if I forget it won't be an issue - I know how big a King Edward (or Maris Piper) is on average, I know the approximate size of a turkey breast steak, cranberry sauce is usually served with a teaspoon, vegetables I can guestimate, and most people these days use a measuring jug with markings on to make gravy. Homemade Christmas pudding? I'm thinking assume it is the richest one M&S do.
    So, heres a question. When you use the scale with a dish - do you weigh the dish first then subtract whatever that weight is from the food?
    Don't mean to sound ignorant, but if I get myself one I want to be as accurate as possible.

Depending on the description of the scales, it is called a tare button/function. Some advertisers use long-winded "features" to describe items, and only use the common terms in the product specification table (which is also where max weight, unit increments, and accuracy will be hidden if they claim "Max Weight - It can weigh a bowling ball!)

Turn on scales, wait for zero, put on plate, press tare, add a food, record weight, press tare, add another food, record weight, press tare, etc.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    You can buy one on Amazon for $25....I"m sure they have them at Target and other department stores.

Just get one big enough to hold a plate or bowl, makes it much easier to measure ingredients.

It makes a huge difference. I've used mine for five years..I have this one.

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356283703&sr=8-1&keywords=digital+food+scale

We have the same one and it is easy to use. I put a small plate on it, zero the scale, and then weigh my food. Easy, and gives me portion information I never knew before. It helps with success at weight loss.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Love my digital scale bought it from Bed, Bath & Beyon like 10years ago. Still haven replaced the battery. I also have a measuring cup scale (it's so so), a small gram scale for going out (hope they never think its paraphenalia), and a cheap postal type scale just in case. Get the scale and use it. You'll be in love like the rest of us.