Food Scale

Options
2»

Replies

• totallyforgiven
    totallyforgiven Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I weigh my food, after it is cooked. Like others have mentioned, some foods have lots of fat, that is cooked away or comes out during cooking. The main thing is to do it the same way everytime.
  • totallyforgiven
    totallyforgiven Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can also put your plate/bowl/dish on before you turn scales on, then when you turn scales on, it will already be zero'd out. Then weigh your food.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Harbor Freight has a 1000 gram one on for sale. I use the second one though from Harbor Freight. It's 5000 grams and calculates in grams, ounces, and pounds. It also zeros out the weight of the plate if you hit the on button after you get the plate set on it. http://www.harborfreight.com/# There is a coupon for the 1000 gram scale to cost $9.99.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-scale-95364.html This is the second scale I use. It's great!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i don't weigh meat since i don't eat it, but i use it for everything else. i got it at bed bath and beyond, sharper imagine brand digital scale (i have a hard time reading the dial numbers). i works pretty well for me, i actually now know how much an ounce of cheese looks like or 2 ounces of pasta, it really comes in handy
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You can weigh items raw or cooked, but the calculations are different , as well as the serving size. Ex. 4oz of raw chicken=3oz of cooked chicken or 16oz of raw ground beef=12oz cooked ground beef. Most food scales come with a book that tell you the calculations for various foods, raw and cooked, etc. I weigh and measure everything. My food scale has been one of my biggest assets on this weight loss journey.
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have a Terraillon that will measure up to 5 lbs. I can also switch back and forth from ounces to grams at the touch of a button.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I have a generic digital scale I bought on Ebay for 7.95. Best 8 bucks I ever spent.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    **Edit**
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's much of a difference between scale brands. Using any scale is better than not using a scale.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great info! It seems like an indispensable part of a diet! I am definitely going to be getting one ASAP!
  • Topher1978
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great info! It seems like an indispensable part of a diet! I am definitely going to be getting one ASAP!
    When I say diet here, I mean a regular diet, not being on a diet ;-) I do not believe in "dieting" any more. I am constantly trying to create the best diet for my health and enjoyment!!!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    i estimate too , especially meat, I think I will invest in a scale