What I did in 2012 that I had never done before

Options

Replies

• justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I ran a mile on a treadmill then 2 miles then I ran outside, first .8 miles and then eventually more. My first road race was a 10k, I had to sprinkle in walking but it ended running out through the giant inflatable patriots helmet and across the 50 yard line in Gilette Stadium.

We also did the warrior dash.

I went swimming with my daughter, she was at that point 8 months old.

There's probably more I'm not thinking about, I'm sure there are many firsts with my daughter...
  • dizzydoolally
    Options
    1) I quit smoking
    2) I started off March 2012 exercising daily with Wii Fit
    3) Then June 2012 I joined the gym (and have kept going)
    4) I started planning meals with my shopping lists and now eat a lot more vegetables. I can't understand what I ever saw in chips. (I am hoping at some point I'll be over crisps too.)

What prompted me to start looking after myself was horrible indigestion/heartburn, and that's sorted! I haven't lost vast amounts of weight. But I am a lot more comfortable in my own body. I feel I carry myself better. I like working out. Next training for a half marathon, and try and lose a few pounds.
  • ashdred
    ashdred Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress!

I have:
    1) Ran 5 minutes and a total of 15 minutes through a 45 minute workout
    2) Hell, I've been able to do over an hour of cardio without feeling like collapsing
    3) Ate, gained and lost my pregnancy weight (baby born on June 1st)
    4) I started listening to my body.
    5) Lost 39 pre-pregnancy pounds (305-266; size 26 to a snug 18)
  • ds233005
    ds233005 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Congrats to everyone on their achievements!
    I actually RAN! All 5Ks: Warrior Dash in June (50 mins). The Color Run in July (38 mins). Race 4 Education in October (36.5 mins). Turkey Trot in November (35 mins). And I loved every minute of it!
    My other fitness goal of 2012 was to get up on one ski (water skiing) and I DID! Feels great to be healthy!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    1.) Hit my pre-surgery weight goal of 249 lbs.(starting weight was 560 lbs.) and went through with my Circumferential Body Lift after losing 311 lbs. now 13 weeks Post Op and 17 lbs. removed in surgery I am ready to make plans for March and my Knee replacements.

2.) Took our first vacation to the Outer Banks (rental on the Beach) in over 20 years (my weight kept us from long car rides) had not seen the ocean since 1982.....

3.) Bought my first pair of Jeans- Levi's 559's (for my wife Xmas party- size 38 in. waist down from 78 in. waist in May of 2009).

4.) I too was at the Gym this morning and am heading back for cardio before they close at 4 today.. lol

Merry Christmas All........

It's great to hear from you Ed, I'd been wondering how your surgery went. I'm glad you're making a good recovery & doing so well, post-op. :drinker:
  • melliebelly77
    Options
    I had never done a 5K, and this year I did 3:)
    I have NEVER in my life had to lose almost 70 lbs, but I did!
    I have never looked forward to exercise, but I do now!
    I have never been so close to being to my goal weight.
    I AM NOW!
    2012 has been amazing and 2013 will be even better!
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    amazings goals that all of you have reached. You are so inspirational.
    In 2012

1. started c25k and ran 15 minutes consecutively (on week 6 - day 1)
    2. started eating healthier - more fruits, vegetables and little red meat and pork
    3. have a chobani yogurt daily
    4. lost 20 lbs
    5. dusted off my weights and started using them
    6. dusted off the treadmill and used it
    7. walk 10,000-20,000+ steps daily
    8. fit into most of my old clothes
  • Timby1
    Timby1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    This is such a great thread I'm going to post something similar for my pals! I love hearing of all the accomplishments! Way to go, everyone!!!!

For me:
    1. Joined MFP - never heard of it till June of this year and am so thankful for this site.
    2. Jogged a 5k! Fastest one in the bunch...uh, no, but that's okay - I actually jogged the whole time. I have never done that!
    3. Gained a love/hate relationship with Jillian Michaels :heart: :grumble:

So excited about 2013
  • GemskiB
    GemskiB Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I now fit comfortably in UK size 16 jeans, TopShop ones no less! I was struggling to find size 18s that were generous enough, so this is a fairly big deal :)
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Started running and ran my first-ever 5K! At age 46!
  • abbie72003
    abbie72003 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! Congrats to you all on your successes :happy:

1.) Lost 41lbs and still going
    2.) Fit into single digit pants now - haven't had that since Jr. High
    3.) Was able to climb a pyramid without wanting to die at the top
    4.) Learned I love to run and doing my first 5K January 1st!! Hoping to run the whole thing!!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    1. Ran 2 half marathons (my first and both under 2:00)

2. Ran multiple 5k races, with my last one being my best at 23:02

3. Finally decided that I was pretty decent at this "running thing" and have been consistent for 17 months with it. Feeling like it's part of who I am now.

4. I feel successful at something. I've never enjoyed a feeling of accomplishment or success for anything noteworthy in my life. I've always felt, at best, 2nd fiddle to more accomplished folks. Running has given me a platform to feel successful without having to be #1 (Let's face it. . .a 41 year old lady isn't going to beat an athletic 19 year old guy in a 5k). I can rank well with ladies my age and be over the moon about it. It keeps me coming back for more.

Now . .it's time to focus on cleaning up my food choices.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    1 - For the first time in my 40 years, exercising became something I do for stress relief, relaxation and fun, not because I had an event to look good for.

2 - I brought a chapter of a girls running group to my children's school this fall and after 10 weeks of training I ran a 5K with my 9 year old daughter and her classmates

3 - I have worked out all year long whereas before I never made it past 3 weeks

4 - I started weightlifting and can now bench press 85 pounds, squat 65 pounds and can do 25 pushups and a 2 minute plank

5 - I am going into 2013 with 5 pounds less of me, 8 inchess less of me, 1 dress size smaller

6 - My resting heart rate went from 90 to 65

6 - I am stronger, happier and more confident at 40 than I was at 20

Can't wait to see what I can do in 2013!

How about you?
    You have done amazing! Congratulations!

For me:

I went from a size 18 to an 8.

Went on 12 mile hikes

2 hr bike rides

Jogged in public.

jogged 5k, RAN a mile yesterday for the first time ever.

Broke my foot.

Went on a hot air balloon ride.

Walked/jogged/biked over 1,000 miles.

Wore a bikini. :)

Beat my lab up to the top of the stairs.

Push mowed my yard. Over a mile according to my gps.

Went on a trail run.. first time in 40 years.

Pulled my knees to my chest. Before, I couldn't get past my stomach.

I unloaded the dishwasher without leaning on the countertop.

Loaded, hooked up and towed my camper.

While in bed, for the first time in years, I felt my knee bones touching.

Discovered that my treadmill stops dead at 99:99.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop now. :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Started running and ran my first-ever 5K! At age 46!
    That is awesome! Congrats! I'm 51 and plan on running my first one in August @52. I'm so excited. lol
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    To OP, amazing job on accomplishing your goals! I love posts like this becasue they really are motivating for people starting out.

I just started my journey on Oct 30/12. I have lost almost 20 pounds (xmas was not to kind to me!) and want to lose 100 more in 2013. My small victories for 2012 were as follows:

1) I jogged for the first time in 8 years!!! It was not for long, but I am hoping to run at least 1 half marathon in 2013.
    2) Went out and got all the tools for success (at home exercise gear, proper foods etc.)
    3) LAST BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST.... I was able to pull myself out of this funk I have been in and came to realize I love me, but not me at 285 pounds!!! For once in my life I am more happy living healthy way of life!!!
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I traveled for fun for the first time, my first vacation trip ever. I've only ever traveled for tragedy or business and I hate it. So I went to Atlanta for Dragoncon with my best friend this year.

I made it to four miles on the treadmill, 5 miles 4x in one week on the road (I found there's a huge difference). I'm also no longer carrying my inhaler in the gym (it does stay in my locker).

Made it up over 140lbs for the first time in 3 years - so not proud of that one... comfort/stress eating fail.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    went from not being able to chase after a bus in a traffic jam to running 15 miles and doing something ridiculous like training for a marathon.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Ran a 10k
    Ran a half marathon
    Benched 120lb
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Count calories.

Lift more than my bodyweight.

Eat under my TDEE.

Try cottage cheese with pineapple - sounds utterly disgusting but I really, really like it. Bought two pots today!

Do "abstract" exercise (as opposed to playing or training for a sport which is what I've always done in the past).

See the shape of my abs. Never been this lean before even when doing a lot of sport. I was the skinny kid at school but the ab area had no definition at all.
  • LizCop7984
    LizCop7984 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ran three 5k races :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!