How are you going to handle Xmas/Boxing day

Options
Normally, Xmas is a day when I indulge in amazng food without considering calories. I want to enjoy a lazy day with great food and later icecream infront of the TV. But I am scared that I will go crazy like most years and I can't seem to relax about it. A few friends have told me to worry about it after new years but I am so scared the damage will be done. Even if I only gain a few pounds back, i know I will feel demotivated and want to eat more. I have only reached this weight once before at Xmas time and within a few weeks I had gained a lot of weight.

What are your tips for dealing with Xmas day and the days after?. Are you still going to log your food tomorrow?

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Not logging, just eating normally. Not excessively. I am also working both days (I am a carer)...just like any other week day...

: )
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    not worried here. After 7 months of watching my calories I've dropped close to 30 lbs. A few days won't change that.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've lost 55lbs and i'm good pretty much all of the time, so I don't think 1 day of not counting calories will harm me. I don't think i'll go overboard anyway, the worst i'll eat will probably be a mince pie and some brandy butter washed down with a glass of prosecco!

I went to the gym today and i'll go Thurs when it's open again.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Quick add cals 8-10,000, done
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Quick add cals 8-10,000, done

as above, and back to normal by the weekend. A few days will do no lasting harm
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat whatever I want and will be in the gym at 6am on Wednesday morning. Ten years of bad eating made me fat, a few days won't really put a dent back in it.
  • EpitomeOfSxy
    EpitomeOfSxy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am trying to log but some things I just can't figure out the calories so I am either adding more or adding less than I should. I am logging to keep in the habit mainly. I am also planning to wake early and do cardio in the house before everyone wakes. I did it this morning (first night sleeping over at the in laws). I am not so concerned about the calories I would be consuming as I am scared of breaking the habit of logging and exercising. Once I fall out of this routine it is hard for me to get back into it.
  • plaingirly
    Options
    I will be going for a brisk walk early in the morning and will be eating pretty much what I want but keeping an eye on portions. Will still be logging! x
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I would love to eat whatever, but this is my first Christmas with diabetes so a lot of the really naughty stuff I can't eat anyway - no mince pies, Christmas pudding, Christmas cake, chocolates, ice cream, shortbread, custard etc for me! Can't afford to let my blood sugar get out of control. I expect I am still going to eat over my calories , but with good stuff /- lots of fresh seafood and salads and a little bit of my special tiramisu that I make every Christmas. I will be logging, but I'm also going to be easy on myself. I have been under my goal every single day for the last six months and lost 64 lbs, one day off calorie watch isn't going to kill me.
  • wonderstruck91
    wonderstruck91 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am going to do my best to enjoy in moderation. I am not logging because I know if I do I will obsess over the calories and starve myself all week after. As others have said, I won't gain 40 lbs back overnight. I am going to try not to feel guilty & move on back on track after the holidays. Good luck!
  • twinkychops
    twinkychops Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try not to log as I know I'll get all panicked about the cals and like someone said, one day of yummy food won't undo months of hard work so I'm going to try and chill out, enjoy the day and do some extra workouts after crimbo to bring down whatever I gain!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    X MAS ?

HOW DARE YOU CHRISTMAS AHH
  • Nimadi486
    Nimadi486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am going to workout in the morning, and I plan to eat what I want, but I will be logging all of it. Your body logs honestly even when you don't, so no sense in skipping it. If I go over on calories, which I probably will, I won't stress about it. It's only one day, I'll do the best I can. I will try to be mindful of everything I eat, and will enjoy the day with my family. :wink:
  • QuietRain
    Options
    I will log what I can [there's going to be some Russian food that I don't know the name of / or half its contents] and make sure I'm not trying to eat a heaping plateful of stuff. I will eat the obligatory slice of cake [and just the one]. I don't want to give in to 'bad' habits so early into my journey, even if it is a holiday.

If I do go over my daily number goal, I'll drag my SO out for a walk once things settle down and people go home.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Whether it is the holidays, birthday parties, or random get-togethers..I'm not as worried as I would have been a year ago...hell, even a few months ago. I'm a lot more confident in myself in regards to making good decisions and watching my portions. All that measuring taught me what portion sizes really were and logging things just before I eat them really helped me re-train my mind.

To add: Because of this continuous process, I am also not afraid to eat something higher in calorie because I know I'll either work it off (probably will have worked hard that day or the few days before to budget for it)...or I will work it into my calorie goal :)
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    I was panicking last night but now it's Christmas (5am in Manila) I'm not so worried. I did the maths. The pudding may be over 300 cal, but it's just one serving, once a year, and option number 2 is to snaffle some of the Filipino dessert bibingka which is like 200 not 300. And dinner turned out surprisingly good at 550 cal. I just need to make sure not to eat, like, ALL the tree decorations and we're good! I've lost 29kg, a few days of funny eating will NOT be too bad...!
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am going to eat what I want, exercise as usual and then track it.

I don't care of I go over Maintenance or not for a few days but I do track it becuase I like to see my stats for the week.

Usually, with the extra running I do this time of year, it all evens out.
  • jessicathomas15
    Options
    I would love to eat whatever, but this is my first Christmas with diabetes so a lot of the really naughty stuff I can't eat anyway - no mince pies, Christmas pudding, Christmas cake, chocolates, ice cream, shortbread, custard etc for me! Can't afford to let my blood sugar get out of control. I expect I am still going to eat over my calories , but with good stuff /- lots of fresh seafood and salads and a little bit of my special tiramisu that I make every Christmas. I will be logging, but I'm also going to be easy on myself. I have been under my goal every single day for the last six months and lost 64 lbs, one day off calorie watch isn't going to kill me.

Good on you - my father is the same but I know many people with diabetes who carry on as normal - well done to you for having the power, you will feel better for it :)
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    for me the biggest eating day is today, christmas eve. And I know if I get out of habit I will fall through, and I only have a little bit of time left to lose a couple more pounds before a doctors appointment. So, today I what I did was log all the food I normally eat on christmas (same meal every day) and then I adjusted the portion size a little bit to be reasonable and not too overly indulgent, and that way I know going into it how much to eat (3 slices smoked salmon, 4 shrimp, 4 oz prime rib roast, 1 slice cake) so I get all the wonderful food, and I did this before eating anything else for the day, so I know what to eat, for me everything I wanted to eat would put me at 12 grams of fat over what I'm alotted, so I made sure I worked out long enough to get those calories back.
    I'm eating everything I want and I have some cushion room for calories because I watched what I ate the rest of the day (since we just have the big meal as dinner) and exercised a good amount.
  • ruckerbenton
    Options
    I'm logging later this evening. I'm hostess tomorrow for brunch and have been making candy, cookies, and other holiday food galore. I'm heading out to a party this evening. So far, so good. I've been busy so I haven't eaten today so have plenty of calories for this evening. Now..moderation, moderation, moderation! I am drinking my water and will be back to the YMCA for water aerobics first thing Wednesday. I will work out, in the water, 1 or 2 classes a day through the rest of the week. My plan...best wishes everyone.