Sugar addiction and starting over...

Options
I have an addictive personality, and while sometimes that's a good thing (it keeps me rock climbing), other times, it's bad. I'm addicted to sugar. Oh, I love it!! I hate it, too. I envy people who don't like sweets; why can't I be like you? I'll get there, though. I've overcome other obstacles, this is just another one on my path to a healthier me.

I'm looking for friends along the way. I've had success before when I had a group of friends on here to keep me honest (and I them). If you'd like to, feel free to add me. :-)

Thanks and best wishes to you and yours this coming New Year!

Replies

• DevonW32
    DevonW32 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Dont beat yourself up to bad I love Sugar too :)
  • crisandra
    Options
    I've been struggling too. It's hard for me to admit that food is an addiction. I just wish I could control myself. It seems like it should be that simple. I believe in being healthy and eating healthy, so I'm always shocked at myself for overeating all the "wrong" stuff! What do we do?
  • omnisis
    omnisis Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The good news is that for most ppl the level at which you crave sugar is somewhat tied to your current intake of sugar. In other words, if you drastically lower or cut out sugar altogether once you get thru the "annoying period" (for me this is 2 weeks) your body will adjust and you won't crave them as much. You'll still have random cravings for sweets if that's your fancy but the constant desire should subside and instead turn into the need for an occasional indulgence or cheat meal to keep you on track.
  • jnp96
    jnp96 Posts: 163
    Options
    I am a sugar addict too. I read a blog that explained it as they chose to consume sugar in food form & their father in alcohol. Made me think a bit more serious about sugar being as addictive as some drugs. For me I have to limit it to the point of elimination. The more I eat the more I want and hunger is not playing a part in it.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I've tried all kinds of ways of dealing with this. It really is what I imagine a drug or alcohol addiction to be like. Cravings that don't go away and are not satiable. Can't have just one. Can't have it in the house. Does anyone remember the anti drug commercial where the older brother is robbing the little brother's piggy bank in the middle of the night. Yeah, it's like that.

I have had some success of taking it out of my diet all together. But I can only do that for a few months. The cravings never go away. Currently, I try to limit my exposure. I don't keep anything sweet at home, and when I do indulge I try to buy a single serving size. Otherwise I will eat a whole lb of chocolate, a bag of marshmallows, a box of breakfast cereal, whatever it is... I will eat it all, and I won't even feel physically full or psychologically satisfied. It's pretty strange. Don't look at my breakfast today btw... marshmallow fluff and cocoa pebbles? Really? Who does that?
  • celestinha
    celestinha Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same! Adding you, hope that's alright! I just started over myself so I need some friends!
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Hi. I don't have an addictive personality - except to icing! Since my birthday in October, I've been going crazy with buying donuts just to eat the icing out of the middle or chocolate chip cookies with icing in the middle and on top. Or a piece of cake to eat the icing off the top. I had some physical issues that limited my exercise and zumba that I had been committed to since January 2012, but I had been maintaining my weight for the past few months even though I've been eating not-so-good. When I finished my Christmas shopping on Friday, I bought a half-dozen krispy kreme donuts with the white filling, sat in the car and ate all the filling out of the donuts then hurried and threw the rest away before anyone could see me. The whole time thinking "holy moly, I have an issue here". Yesterday, I went to put on a pair of my size 8 jeans that have still been fitting and I couldn't breathe & certainly couldn't wear... so, yesterday I started running/walking again. I only have to get through today with not-so-healthy food around me and I am declaring myself "icing free" ! Here's to saying bye-bye to sugar addiction!!! Good luck to everyone!!
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem so I quit eating sugar all together back in April. Good luck!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    The good news is that for most ppl the level at which you crave sugar is somewhat tied to your current intake of sugar. In other words, if you drastically lower or cut out sugar altogether once you get thru the "annoying period" (for me this is 2 weeks) your body will adjust and you won't crave them as much. You'll still have random cravings for sweets if that's your fancy but the constant desire should subside and instead turn into the need for an occasional indulgence or cheat meal to keep you on track.

I find this to be true for me as well. It isn't the complete peace I hoped for. I still get random cravings and I've slipped up more than once and regretted it after having to deal with the serious cravings and excess hunger, but it's a lot better when I tell my brain that sugary treats are NOT food.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Enjoying the consumption of sugar does not an addiction make
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    If you are going to compare sugar to a drug addiction then you have never watched family members have seizures from drug withdrawal.

And I'm not saying there can't be an addiction, but it is not the same as a physical drug addiction. You have no idea.
  • melkel0508
    melkel0508 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same! I also have an addict personality and sugar is my drug. I agree with what someone said in an earlier post that it's a similar craving as people with other addictions experience. I actually read a book by a Swedish author named "The sugar bomb" that explains that sugar stimulates the same reactors in the brain as alcohol does, and as we start eating sugar at an early age we create a path for future addictions. How scary is that? She also says that the only cure for sugar addiction is to totally cut sugar from your diet, not only the visible but all carbs as well.

It was a real wake-up call for me because I'm not the only one in my family struggling with addictions. I might not be ready to cut all the carbs from my diet but it made me aware about my own reactions to the food I'm eating and what sets me of.

Today I started over after a couple of weeks with falling into old habits and eating everything in reach. I've gained 6 kg as payment and I want to get back to where I was. A healthy, better me!

So I'm in! :-)

(I'm sorry for any misspellings or other language misstakes, I'm swedish. :-))
  • AmandaTheNewMe
    AmandaTheNewMe Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, I think about not eating sugar but then I go and eat some. I really need to cut it out all together but I always give into the craving. This is harder for me than when I stopped smoking.
  • RobynLB
    Options
    I am exactly the same! I also have an addict personality and sugar is my drug. I agree with what someone said in an earlier post that it's a similar craving as people with other addictions experience. I actually read a book by a Swedish author named "The sugar bomb" that explains that sugar stimulates the same reactors in the brain as alcohol does, and as we start eating sugar at an early age we create a path for future addictions. How scary is that? She also says that the only cure for sugar addiction is to totally cut sugar from your diet, not only the visible but all carbs as well.

It was a real wake-up call for me because I'm not the only one in my family struggling with addictions. I might not be ready to cut all the carbs from my diet but it made me aware about my own reactions to the food I'm eating and what sets me of.

Today I started over after a couple of weeks with falling into old habits and eating everything in reach. I've gained 6 kg as payment and I want to get back to where I was. A healthy, better me!

So I'm in! :-)

(I'm sorry for any misspellings or other language misstakes, I'm swedish. :-))

When I aim for about 100-150 grams of carbohydrates and about 100-150 grams of protein, I feel very satiated, and I don't have room in my diet for sugar. I find this a little hard to stick to long term, even though it's not extreme or anything. I recommend a similar ratio to anyone with a similar sugar issue. (Note: your exact numbers will be different based on your size and calorie needs, there numbers are for an 1800 - 2300 calorie diet).

BTW: your English is as good as any American's ;)
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If you are going to compare sugar to a drug addiction then you have never watched family members have seizures from drug withdrawal.

And I'm not saying there can't be an addiction, but it is not the same as a physical drug addiction. You have no idea.

I'm sure the original poster meant no harm, or to them it is something that is "all-consuming"...why must we always start this literal analogy of every single word used in a post... let it go :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

^this...is consistent with my experience also.

(That said, I'm currently in an "EAT ALL TEH SUGARZ!!1!eleven!!1" mode.)
  • RobynLB
    Options

I'm sure the original poster meant no harm, or to them it is something that is "all-consuming"...why must we always start this literal analogy of every single word used in a post... let it go :)

I have used hard drugs... and have had MORE trouble giving up table sugar than any other white powdery substance! I don't think it's a stretch to compare it to drug addiction at all. If anything, sugar is more addictive than cocaine... and they both come from a plant in the tropics... coincidence? I think not!

Seriously though, I'm sorry you had to go through that with a loved one.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I did not mean the original poster. It was in response to a direct quote.

And I am totally fine about letting it go.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I have used hard drugs... and have had MORE trouble giving up table sugar than any other white powdery substance! I don't think it's a stretch to compare it to drug addiction at all. If anything, sugar is more addictive than cocaine... and they both come from a cane in the tropics... coincidence? I think not!

Thanks for explaining. In my experience of watching family members cocaine was not nearly as addictive as heroine and other drugs. Sorry, it's Christmas, and the comment just brought up difficult feelings of watching family members struggling right now (I'm not talking about the past). It's very tough.

p.s. Thank you! Sorry I brought it up. It was just a reaction.
  • joconnor09
    Options
    I tried going a whole week eating as little sugar as possible, and it ended up teaching me a lot about nutrition. I have a sugar problem just like you- can't get enough! But trying to go without it taught me that some sugar is good, some is bad, and it's in almost everything! It's all about moderation. The longer I go using MFP and learning more about what I eat and what's healthy, the less sugar I find myself eating. I still eat a lot, but I think over time our sugar intake will decrease. I honestly don't even find myself craving some of the sugary treats I used to eat all the time! It's a slow process, but we'll get there!