P90X'ers Starting 2/22/2010

Replies

• I started Monday as well. It kicked my butt, yesterday kicked my butt too.. I was so sore this morning it hurt to get out of bed but it's an awesome hurt!! I have been wondering and asking this same question before but I am not only trying to get more muscle tone but trying to lose weight around my tummy and legs or just lose 2 pant sizes whichever... I am more concerned about how my clothes fit rather than the number on the scale. Does anyone know if this will be achievable while doing this program only while watching my food and calories and also being at a calorie deficit??

Should I be doing some cardio in the morning at the gym say before work as well so I am burning calories(fat) and also do this program??? I'm at a loss....

Also I don't ahve a pull up bar or the bands.... how would I do the chest and back??
  • Hello!!
    I just started p90x monday and it is everything I thought it would be. I'm following the lean program. I did core syng. monday and cardio yesterday. I don't remember what's for today. I don't have a pull up bar and I don't remember what the suggestion is for people who don't?? I guess I'll find out when I get to that workout...

Have a great day.
  • So how do we input the calories we burned on P90x if we do not have HRM?

Obviously I dont know how many I burned while doing each exercise so how do i put that into myfitnesspal on the exercise tab?

Anyone can help?

Thanks,
    Amanda
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Bump!
  • beckym71
    beckym71 Posts: 3,511
    Sorry I don't have an answer about what to sub for back exercises. I got my deluxe pull up bar at WalMart for $50 and I know they carry another for around $30. Mine has to be drilled into the wall, the cheaper one does not. I'll keep thinking on what could work in place of pull ups.

I did Shoulders & Arms this morning! My favorite parts to work out! I did a good job with my weight selection and worked to failure on all sets. An hour of hip specific yoga and a 4.5 mile dreadmill run. The yoga is definitely helping my hip. I'll head over to the Y for cycle and kettlebell tonight.

I have also wondered how to track calories burned without a HRM. I need to just break down and buy a Fitbit or Body Bugg...maybe with tax return money. I've just guesstimated and possibly quite low according to Bryans results. For weight training in general I give myself 50 calories for every 15 minutes. Abs I give myself about 50 calories for Ab Ripper X and about 150 for Yoga. I'd rather way underestimate and have a bigger deficit. The thing about calories burned in weight lifting is that even if you don't burn that many during the actual workout, it increases your metabolism for a much longer length of time than cardio.

Have a good evening!
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Hey there. I'm doing the P90x for my first time too. I started a month ago, but I just started phase 2 on monday, so I'm pretty much in synch with you (ie we all get to feel the pain on plyo on the same day!)

P90x rocks!
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    btw for counting calories burned - if this helps anyone, this is what I am doing:

for categorizing the P90x exercises on this site, I think the 'generic circuit training' category will get you pretty close. Except for kenpo and yoga (in classic) they all pretty much meet the interval/circuit definition. I am only putting in the amount of minutes though that the workout is. I'm not including the warmup and cooldown...that way I make sure I'm still being conservative but the numbers show that the calorie burning is at the higher circuit training rate.
  • WINEYINVA
    WINEYINVA Posts: 75 Member
    I managed to do the whole 90 days last summer, its tough I'll admit but I saw it the whole way through. I have been trying to get back into it but my schedule during the school year is very hectic.
    Congrats to all of you that have started and are doing it and I am hoping to join you soon atleast a few days a week. My favs are kenpo (I have a kickboxing background) bis and tris and I have recently found a love a yoga.
    hope to see you all on the posts.
  • Calories during P90X? Well, everyone's body is different and I placed how many calories I burned during my Chest & Back routine. I will do the same for tonight with the shoulder workout. For males, I am 5' 7, 202 pounds, and 33 years of age. Use my calories I burned and maybe subtract about 50 and just go by that. You might be burning more than hundred than I am but at least you will have some sort of number to plug in. For ladies, maybe subtract about 75 from what I burned. Again, I don't know how you would calculate this, but at least it is a ballpark figure that you could use.

Anyone that has started in these post since we started on Monday, great job.

Becky, it's ok that you have problems with certain joints and/or muscles. Modify what you have to and just keep a high intensity rate. The Divebomber push-ups KILL my shoulders so I just add regular push-ups which will still be working the same area's and you are still using calories.

Don't forget that when you first start out in strength training, your body could add anywhere from 2 to 5 pounds of water in the first three to four weeks because the muscles tears and it is healing with water and protein/amino acids. This is why a lot of people quit workout routines in the first month. They do all that hard work and see a weight gain and quit. Just keep hitting your calorie goal or under and keep working out. After about a month it should start coming off. With P90X, it should start pouring off. If it does not start coming off, then you need to take another look at your food intake. The more calories you burn that you put into your body, is fool-proof. That is just a fact of science. You can't even gain a lot of weight from muscle if you are still burning more calories than taking in. However, you are changing the percentages of your fat and mucles make-up. As you gain more muscle and lose more fat, your body will burn more calories even while resting than it did before. Yes muscles are more dense, but you still should be losing if you have set up a caloric goal that is less than what you take in.

Don't go by the scale though and sometimes BMI is not good to go bye. I have been very low in fat before and could not get below 175 pounds and it states that I should be at the most, at 160. Go by the way your clothes feel, how you feel, and look in the mirror and always tell yourself the truth and don't ask what others think. It should only matter to you.

Great job everyone.....3 days down, 87 more to a new you and 2010 Summer time......:smile:

Bryan Yauger
  • beckym71
    Bryan ~ excellent points! Thanks for taking the time to write that all out! :flowerforyou:
    Another thing to remember for the ladies, please don't be discouraged, but Tony himself says it can take a full rotation,even 2 for our bodies to respond. Just one of those unfair differences..... like the way my husband says he will cut out dessert and loses 5 pounds overnight and I actually DO cut them out and take 5 weeks to lose 1 pound! :laugh:
    I began consistently working out 18 months ago, but didn't really clean up my diet until the holidays last year. I've lost 19 pounds total, 13 of them since Thanksgiving,so stick with it, it will happen!
    I did get in my hour of yoga, 4.5 miles on the dreadmill and a 45 minute cycle class tonight! Kenpo tomorrow!
  • Heather, if you don't have bands or a pull up bar, you can still do chest and back until you can get something. Do jump and jacks the entire time they are doing pull ups or lay down on your back under the kitchen table, sounds funny, but then grab the top and pull your self up kind of like a reverse pushup. Do anything you can think of while they are doing pullups. Just stay active.
  • shoulders and arms: greta workout. started with 8min on treadmill at 7mph then x workout. hrm = 1118 calories at end before doing ripper. i have added the p90x under cardio and titled it as such so i can use it here on this site.... feel great.....

keep hittingplay and bringing it everyone....oh it helps having a gym where i work as a bike officer in ft. worth.....

one could use my cals lost as an estimate and maybe sub about one or two hundred just to b safe. at least it is some sort of numbers u could use.

87 more days team..............dont quit on me!

bryan
  • wannahavenrg
    wannahavenrg Posts: 4 Member
    I started my P90X today (lean) . I am competing in 2 Triathlons this year (Olympic distance) 1 day at a time. Plus I have never tried a diet before so that is very new to me. I had no idea that 7oz of chicken / fish was so small. My portions are out of control. Not anymore. lol

Jeffrey
  • I am pooped. I did Shoulders and arms last night, went to work, and then our self-defense instructor had all the bike officers do Judo when we got off this morning at 6am. I am dead. Time to sleep, then wake up take daughter to her soccer practice, and then hit "Play and Bring It Again". No matter how tired I am or you, we have to keep bringing it..................

Bryan
  • Hey folks!!!
    I missed my workout yesterday (family emergency - hospital all night), but I will definitely do it tonight. I'm pretty sore but I know its because these are exercises that I've never done or don't do often. I'm enjoying it so far and I'm trying to get the rest of my family to do it with me so far my oldest niece (she's 9) is the only one who will try it. :laugh:

Great good everyone!!!
  • Hey!!
    I did Shoulders and Arms plus Ab ripper x yesterday. It was a great workout!! I did lite weights and more reps since it was my first time doing the workout. I'm going to increase the weights next time so I can feel even more burn. I have another workout today, I can't remember which one it is (i think its yoga x).

Have a great day!!!
  • beckym71
    Way to *bring it*! :happy:

I'm having to do some readjusting of the schedule to work around my 2 half marathons in the next 5 weeks.
    Yesterday was a 5 mile run, 45 minutes of elliptical, 20 minutes of abs and stretching.I forgot it was Yoga day :grumble:
    Tomorrow is my last long training run before my taper so I rearranged Kenpo and did it today. Since it was my 1st time through I didn't feel as though my heart rate was elevated enough so I did Insanity Cardio Power & Resistance as well. After lunch I did Legs & Back and Ab Ripper. Tonight was elliptical and cycle. I may have been slightly overzealous....I just totalled my workout minutes for the day...I hit 240! :noway:
    I'll do a 7-8 mile run and yoga tomorrow.

Have a great weekend everyone! And keep pushing play! :bigsmile:
  • WEEK 2 Team!!!! Keep working no matter what. If you have to only do 10 pushups, 10 situps and 10 squats right before you lay down to sleep or first thing when you wake up then do it. No matter what do something that you normally would not do if you cannot do the scheduled workout for P90X. It will not work to a T but just keep involving your muscles and heart in more than you would normally do every day. 1 week down and 11 to go..........Second week of Chest & Back. See if you can increase each exercise by one or two reps at least and if you can do more than more power to you......

Bryan
  • Hey!! Today will be a great day!! I have Kenpo tonight. If I'm feeling good afterward then I will try to to do Ab ripper x too. My goal this week is to stay within my calorie allotment all week!!

Have a great week!!!
  • beckym71
    Chest & Back and Ab Ripper today. Already increased some reps! :)
This discussion has been closed.