Females and P90X

Options
Hi Pals!

I am currently ending Month #1 of INSANITY and I plan to start P90X afterwards. For those of you (Females) that are currently doing P90X or have done the program, I just wanted to hear your thoughts about it. Were you impressed with your results? Did you have to purchase alot of equipment?Etc..etc... Any comments good or bad will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :tongue:

Replies

• meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm in week 4 of P90X, and I'm loving it. When I started I was coming off of TurboFire, and right before that I'd been training for, and had run, a marathon. I'm pretty fit, but strength had fallen by the wayside with all that cardio, so P90X seemed like the right choice before getting back into training.

I'm definitely seeing some changes in my body - things are tighter, I'm starting to see more definition in my abs, and I can pump out a few more reps that I could when I started.

Equipment-wise, I purchased a set of adjustable dumbbells to supplement the sets I had. The adjustables go up to 25lbs, the sets I had before were 3, 5, and 10. I also got a pull-up bar on amazon. You can use resistance bands in place of the dumbbells and/or pull up bar if needed.

Congrats on completing month 1 of insanity! I've heard that one is no joke!

Feel free to msg me if you have any specific questions about P90x - happy to help!
  • Kempossible
    Kempossible Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I really apreciate it !
  • Kempossible
    Options
    Any other females doing P90X?......
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It's not a female thing. You need dumbbells that go up to maybe 50lbs, from 5 to 50. You need a pull up bar. I think that's all. If you don't want to buy those, you can buy a set of resistance bands which will do the same thing. They work great. That's it. Again, it doesn't matter if its male or female. I'm not sure why you specified this question to only females. It's a gender neutral question.

Good luck.
  • Callalili
    Callalili Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of week 11. I have a pull up bar, which I use a chair with. I just got adjustable weights that go up to 25 lbs. I don't think I'll need more than 25 lbs for a while. Before that, my heaviest weights were 16. I had completed 2 rounds of Supreme 90 before p90x which is similar but the workouts are much shorter. I haven't lost much weight since I started p90x in October, but I have lost inches, tightened up and upped my strength. You will also need a yoga mat and maybe a block. My only complaint is the yoga video is too long, but I do feel good when it's done.

I will be doing a second round after this first is done.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have done p90x and really enjoyed it a lot. I had decent results on it considering I wasn't following their diet plan at all. I did lose some body fat and did gain strength, I just probably kept a little more fat on than I would've had I followed their eating prescription.

My dad had all the equipment I needed so I'm of no help in that department. I would suggest buying the resistance bands if you don't want to buy equipment. BUT I am not a fan of resistance bands so if you have the money I would buy a set of adjustable dumbbells like the girl above said she has. Also, there are a TON of pull ups, but it's so much fun. and if you have someone available while you are working out, get them to hold your feet while you do the pull ups. It's harder than using a chair or box to stand on so it'll work you out a lot more, but the person holding can also help when you need them to!

Hope that was helpful...I tend to ramble...
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It's not a female thing. You need dumbbells that go up to maybe 50lbs, from 5 to 50. You need a pull up bar. I think that's all. If you don't want to buy those, you can buy a set of resistance bands which will do the same thing. They work great. That's it. Again, it doesn't matter if its male or female. I'm not sure why you specified this question to only females. It's a gender neutral question.

Good luck.

She specified because she wanted to know what females thought about it. There is nothing wrong with that. Yes, it's a gender neutral program but you just suggested that she get 50 lb weights which I never used during the whole program and I have been a weight lifter for 7 years. So that's probably why she asked females....
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Good luck.

She specified because she wanted to know what females thought about it. There is nothing wrong with that. Yes, it's a gender neutral program but you just suggested that she get 50 lb weights which I never used during the whole program and I have been a weight lifter for 7 years. So that's probably why she asked females....

You didn't read what I wrote or you would not have said what you said. I didn't say the program was gender neutral, but thank you for pointing that out, because its true. And, I didn't say she needed 50 lb weights.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it, but have read reviews where some women didn't like its focus on back and arms (they wished there were more in the way of leg development), but maybe people who've done it can comment further.
  • larainew
    Options
    I'm on day 2. It just kicked my butt, but I'm not sure what to log it as. Looking forward to what day 3 brings.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi! I loved P90x...I did 2 rounds of it this past year, and it really whipped me into shape. I learned how to do a "program" as I had never done a 3 month program before, and then I managed to do it twice! I loved the variety of it--I had never done a pull up before, and at the end was doing 12-14 pull ups.....and I learned to love stretching and yoga. I was at a maintaining weight when I started P90x, so didn't lose weight but I definitely saw positive changes w/strength in my shoulders, arms and abs in this program, I could see this in my photos. I have since moved on to a few other programs (CLX and Insanity), just for variety, but will definitely be back to it--it's a great choice...you will do really well with it!

I bought the pull up bar and a few more free weights but that's about all you need....good luck!!
  • hannahcall2
    hannahcall2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    P90X is the stuff. It will make you lean and build your muscles like no tomorrow. Tony makes it easy to keep moving and stay motivated, and with the right weights you can get some serious results.
  • Kempossible
    Options
    You guys are awesome. Thanks! And thanks to you Neverstray, I appreciate your manly input. Lol!
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    A girl I work with totally transformed her body doing P90X. She was a short chubby girl with no curves. Now she's lean, mean and sexy. I'm in my second round, and I've lost 48lbs and 10 pants sizes while gaining some muscle. One thing that frequently gets lost in the P90X discussions is the improvement in flexibility, endurance and energy level.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I really feel as if Jillian Michaels gave me more bang for my buck. I did 2 rounds of P90x and liked it because it got me going but I think if I had done something else (like JM workouts, yoga, and/or more cardio) for the same time period I probably would have lost faster. But it is part of what helped me get back in shape so I shouldn't diss it too much. My favorites were the ab ripper x and yoga. The upper body stuff does get pretty boring, but I did love all the squats and leg work. Whatever works for you though, so if you have the inclination then I say go for it because it will definitely help.
  • Kempossible
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Lean version right now I'm currently just starting the recovery week of month 2. I lost 5 pounds and 4.5 inches in month one. I'm not sure what my results are for month 2 yet. I'd recommend it. I saw great strength gains as well. Good luck!
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I really want to do it but it costs waaaay too much. I don't care what other people say about it being worth it. I'm not paying that much for it when I can find it somewhere else for cheaper. It's the Beachbody name....it's always the names...... = /

But yes, I Really want to get it.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm at the end of the recovery week of month 1. I did two months last year, then went on vacation for two weeks and then never got back into it. I'm determined to finish it, even though I'm looking forward to doing a heavier lifting program once I finish. For equipment, right now I have 5 lb and 10 lb dumbbells. For a lot of the exercises, I hold both of them at once, so I can do 15 lbs. It's clumsy, and I really need some new weights. I tried resistance bands, but they're just not comfortable for me. All of our doorways are above standard width for the regular door frame pullup bars you can buy everywhere, so my husband installed a bar in the basement. When it comes to a pullup part of the workout, I just pause the DVD and go downstairs. Other than that, get a yoga mat if you don't already have one.

My primary focus is not to lose weight. Yes, I want to lose about 15 lbs, but I want to be stronger. I started P90x mainly to work up my strength. When I have more muscle, my body burns more calories and the weight just comes off easier. I was liking the results I had last time I did it. The biggest part is just to stay consistent and really do it every day.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I really want to do it but it costs waaaay too much. I don't care what other people say about it being worth it. I'm not paying that much for it when I can find it somewhere else for cheaper. It's the Beachbody name....it's always the names...... = /

But yes, I Really want to get it.

I bought a used copy on Insanity on ebay for $75. A legit pre-owned copy. I borrowed (and copied FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY) my P90x disks from a friend. Look on Craigslist or ask around. This is the kind of thing a lot of people buy with good intentions.