How do I eat an avocado?!?

Options
I bought an avocado the other day from the store because it was on sale. I've never had one before. How do it eat? Should I cut it up and put it on top of something?

If you could share your recipes/ snack ideas for eating an avocado that would be awesome :)

Replies

• ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken breast, little bit of salsa, little bit of sour cream+avocado :) Delish!

I also really like them with eggs and black beans.

Or on toast with a little cream cheese.
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've made an avocado shake with a little soy milk and a whole lot of truvia. I'd also suggest a little chocolate syrup. It'd be a nice little protein shake out of the norm that doesn't include banana!
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I scramble mine in with egg whites and tomato.
    I also use it in sandwiches instead of mayo. (I mush it up and spread it).
    I eat it in wraps also. It's the best thing ever. lol
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat them is to slice it in half, scoop out the pit, sprinkle a little sea salt on the "meat," and eat the avacado out of the skin with a spoon. Sooooooo yummy!
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I use it in wraps, in place of mayo
    I'll my splits in it, so it looks diced in the shell, put salt on it (occasionally), and eat it like that as a snack.
    I love avocado on bread or toast. Just take it out of the shell, and spread as if you'd spread butter.

Enjoy your avocado! I eat them at least twice a week!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat them is to slice it in half, scoop out the pit, sprinkle a little sea salt on the "meat," and eat the avacado out of the skin with a spoon. Sooooooo yummy!

^ This
  • glahlstedt
    glahlstedt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    smoosh it up and make guacamoli for a taco salad....or cut into thin strips, and put it on a salad....

delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    As someone else suggested- on their own (cut in half) with some crunchy sea salt and black pepper on top and eaten with a spoon... I also love them sliced thinly and layered on a whole wheat wrap with some salsa and rocket and put in the oven to heat up (kind of like a pizza... I really like warmed up avocado for some reason! Might be just me though!) Cubed on top of salads, with bruschetta, blended with some garlic and mixed with some cubed tomato and red onion for guacamole (: sighh I love avocados.
  • Nanook8
    Nanook8 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great on salads! Great by themselves. Make homemade guacamole. Just know that once you cut it, you need to use it fairly quickly and squeeze a little acid (citrus juice, vinegars as in dressings) to keep them from turning brown.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Eat it right out of the shell, on top of a salad, in place of mayo on sandwiches, on tacos/burritos, etc,. Avocado is the best! Never tried it with my eggs...now I'm going to have to! But I usually eat them about 5 times a week.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Any way you can get it. Yum. Cut in half, take the seed out, peel skin off, cut in bite sized chunks and salt. Ummmmm. On salads. With eggs and sliced tomatoes. On sandwiches. On wraps. Yes please.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Suggested way...on a Chicken salad.

Favorite way : Turkey, Bacon, Avacado sandwich on a whole grain Bread
  • sheldonvaughn
    Options
    You should probably only be eating about 2 tablespoons of avocado (about 3/4 of 1/2 of the piece of fruit) a day if you are on a fat loss diet as they are full of healthy fats. My favorite thing to do is squeeze a lime and get some liquid on it and then mash it up with a fork. Mix that with some onion and tomato and if you're feeling really fancy cilanto and you have some really good guac. Even with just the lime, avocado mix it's still really good!
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Slice up some cucumber, tomato and 1/2 avocado into small chunks, top it with 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese and ground pepper. Delicious and filling! I have this for lunch a couple times a week.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You should probably only be eating about 2 tablespoons of avocado (about 3/4 of 1/2 of the piece of fruit) a day if you are on a fat loss diet as they are full of healthy fats. My favorite thing to do is squeeze a lime and get some liquid on it and then mash it up with a fork. Mix that with some onion and tomato and if you're feeling really fancy cilanto and you have some really good guac. Even with just the lime, avocado mix it's still really good!

• Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    You have to make sure its ripe before you open it, and don't put it in the fridge if its not ripe. Squeeze a bit to see if its slightly soft. If not, put it in a brown paper bag and fold the bag closed, check it very day, may take up to 3 days to soften up.

Slice it down the middle gently, there is a giant non-edible hard nut/seed inside to be removed, you can use a spoon to scoop out the inside, if you do it carefully you can get each half out in one piece.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Just eat it as it is.

Cut it in half, around the seed.
    Then hack your knife into the seed, twist it and then it comes out.

Then just eat the avocado out of the skin with a spoon.
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Best snack ever!
  • ncruso24
    ncruso24 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I love avocado sliced with some salt. Or slice it up and put it on your favorite sandwich to make it that much better. Last but not least, the Tex-Mex version is to smash (with a fork is the easiest way) and chop up some cilantro, tomatoes, and onions, pour some extra-virgin olive oil on it, add salt, lime juice and garlic powder to taste and you've got guac!
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    yeh, I know about the sale...88 cents a lb, WOW...anyway when they are on sale, I will buy 10 or so..(I DID THAT ON MONDAY AS A MATTER OF FACT)....I will eat them everyday, sometimes 2.....my favorite way is totally naturale...cut in half, take out seed (I just take the same sharp knife, hit the seed with the knife and the knife will pierce the seed, then take the seed right out, then with a spoon I just start eating...no salt, pepper or anything else.....but I'm that way about adding seasonings...I like the taste of my food, without the extras...LOL

ENJOY!!!!