How do I eat an avocado?!?

Options

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I just like it raw right on to of green salad. Just peel it, cut in half. Pop the big seed out with an ice cream scoop, then dice it up.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Any way I can! My favorite snack is to slice it up with some Tapatio and lime juice. So good! As a meal, there's a restaurant near me that takes a whole avocado, slices it in half and removes the pit and then fills the middle with a bay shrimp salad (bay shrimp, a little bit of mayo, lemon juice, cilantro, celery, onion and garlic). So good!! I also use it in place of mayo on sandwiches.
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I honestly make sushi with it (california rolls). I also just scoop the meat out and eat it by itself, or I will use it on salads and taco dishes. I also like to make chili, so I use it then as well. Good luck!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Sliced, as part of my (almost) daily broccoli and cauliflower salad. The trick is to eat avocados that are perfectly ripe, which is tough to do since they're "perfectly ripe" for about four hours. Not ripe enough and they'll be tough and "green" tasting; too ripe and they'll be too mushy.

Prepping them is easy too:
    1. cut in half (around pit), twist and separate
    2. using knife, "whack" pit, twist, remove pit from knife (without drawing blood). (Ideally, a heavy knife, but I use the same technique with my pocketknife every day at work.)
    3. cut into slices (through skin)
    4. remove skin from individual slices...done.

All very quick and easy.
  • DebHutton55
    DebHutton55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You can eat it almost anyway you want. It is great on toast w/salt & pepper.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    For breakfast = California Omelet: fold in sliced avocado and shredded jack cheese

For lunch = BLA: Bacon, lettuce, and avocado sandwich

With dinner = Asian style salad: chopped avocado served on mixed greens with Walden Farms 0 cal sesame ginger dressing and a tablespoon of low sodium soy sauce (this would go well with a simple stir fry)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat them is to slice it in half, scoop out the pit, sprinkle a little sea salt on the "meat," and eat the avacado out of the skin with a spoon. Sooooooo yummy!

Sea salt is excellent. Freshly ground pepper and sometimes a spritz of lemon are also good.
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    thank you! i will try my avocado tomorrow :D
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat them is to slice it in half, scoop out the pit, sprinkle a little sea salt on the "meat," and eat the avacado out of the skin with a spoon. Sooooooo yummy!

I do this as well.. it is one of my favorite snacks just in plain form with a little sea salt! its like a treat to me ;)
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    you can make an ace salad dressing by blending avocado with natural yogurt, coriander (cillantro) lime juice and a tad of chilli
  • kage5678
    kage5678 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Love avocado, use it in salads, on sandwiches, sliced with steak or clicked breast. Today I mashed 3/4 avocado, some finely sliced red onion and a little homemade sweet chilli sauce to make guacamole, it was awesome.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You should probably only be eating about 2 tablespoons of avocado (about 3/4 of 1/2 of the piece of fruit) a day if you are on a fat loss diet as they are full of healthy fats. My favorite thing to do is squeeze a lime and get some liquid on it and then mash it up with a fork. Mix that with some onion and tomato and if you're feeling really fancy cilanto and you have some really good guac. Even with just the lime, avocado mix it's still really good!

Why would we want to limit healthy fats if they're healthy?
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I think you should first eat it on its own to see if you like the fruit in general then try out different ways of eating/cooking it!
    Your own taste buds may have different reactions to the avocado and you will then probably have an idea of mixing what in it with!
    I personally just peel the rough skin off and eat it as it is, tastes like butter lol.
  • xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Eat the seed first, then the skin. Throw the middle in the bin
  • Sarahsue94
    Options
    I love avocado! I ushually just make an avocado salad by throwing in some diced red onion, cherry tomatoes, and slicing the avocado. I also poor a little lemon juice on just to keep everything fresh. SO GOOD!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

This...or I use a little low sodium soy sauce. I also slice it up to put on salads or just as a side...and of course, guacamole.
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Eat it however you like, my advice is dont put the tip of the knife in to pull the pit out. I basically cut my finger off because of the decieving pit thinking it wasnt hollow.... Man what I go through for my favorite food!
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I like to slice them up, put a little salt and pepper and enjoy! I also like them on wraps, sandwiches, tacos... the list is endless!
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Cut in half, take the pit out, sprinkle with pepper and salt and enjoy with a spoon right out of the skin! That's the favorite way in my family! Guacamole is good- just mix mashed avocado with fat free sour cream, pepper, and a little garlic salt. I also like to mush it up and put it on sandwiches instead of mayo. :)