ALL OF GEORGE BAILEY'S PROBLEMS ARE DUE TO MARY!

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    You're missing the point. It's not about his "problems". Everyone has problems that are as bad or worse than those in the life of George Bailey. The movie is about finding contentment and happiness in the life you've been given, even if it didn't turn out exactly the way you had planned.

"For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content." ~ I Timothy 6:7-8

“We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have."

“It is better to want what you have than to have what you want.”

FYI: I'm sure you're just being silly, but this has been on my mind alot lately...learning to be content and happy with the blessings I've been given, rather than always moaning and complaining about what I don't have.

To be serious, you are right though. It's really about finding the happiness in what we have now and now what we think we want. Sigh f' I needed that little slap me into my senses.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    omg in my 28 yrs on this earth, i still havent seen this movie...or any other xmas movie for that matter.
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Ahh, going with the whole "wishing makes it so" theory...it's the movies, after all, right?
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    You're missing the point. It's not about his "problems". Everyone has problems that are as bad or worse than those in the life of George Bailey. The movie is about finding contentment and happiness in the life you've been given, even if it didn't turn out exactly the way you had planned.

"For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content." ~ I Timothy 6:7-8

“We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have."

“It is better to want what you have than to have what you want.”

FYI: I'm sure you're just being silly, but this has been on my mind alot lately...learning to be content and happy with the blessings I've been given, rather than always moaning and complaining about what I don't have.

So the message is to be happy regardless of how many people screw you over? Then shouldn't Mary get some sort of visitor for making such a self-centered wish?
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I HATE that movie. One hour and 55 minutes of drudgery and sadness with 5 minutes of happy at the end. Most depressing. I much prefer White Christmas with all its dancing, singing & joking. Even though it's only difficulty is caused by misinformed, gossiping women....(let the flaming from females begin).
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    George Bailey would have been a lonely old crank of a man without Mary supporting him and giving him a family. That beats his travel plans every day.

Aaaaaand dance by the light of the moon.
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Nope, the fault all falls on George. He should not have told Mary about the whole breaking the windows thing. He has no one to blame but himself.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Maybe, he should have married Annie? She'd be the one to take care of Potter and show him who's BOSS!
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Saw Baileys... thought of Irish Cream... *sighs of disappointment*
  • doorki
    Options
    George Bailey would have been a lonely old crank of a man without Mary supporting him and giving him a family. That beats his travel plans every day.

Aaaaaand dance by the light of the moon.

He seemed to be quite happy before that night with Mary. Where are you getting your conclusions from?
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    nope
    his brother. Duh.

On another note. Just watched it for the very first time last week.

I agree. Mary had NOTHING to do with his dad's death. His brother is the reason that he was deaf in one ear, and George also spent all his savings sending his brother through school.Mary is his whole world and the reason that his life is so wonderful, in spite of everything bad.

Also, let's not forget Uncle Billy! OMG!

^^^ True!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    It was dumb *kitten* Uncle Billy who lost all the money and George chose between the bank and his honeymoon. Why would George let him handle any money at all?

But George would not have been working at the Building and Loan if Mary had not made that wish. He would have been out in the world.

Maybe, but maybe that's a pipe dream. Just because you go to college doesn't mean you'll succeed.

He had a job and a lovely family. Mary isn't to blame for his problems. No one is to blame but him. He made his own decisions.

I HATE this movie.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Thats not very CHRISTMAS-SEY! What the heck movie is this?
  • doorki
    Options
    It was dumb *kitten* Uncle Billy who lost all the money and George chose between the bank and his honeymoon. Why would George let him handle any money at all?

But George would not have been working at the Building and Loan if Mary had not made that wish. He would have been out in the world.

Maybe, but maybe that's a pipe dream. Just because you go to college doesn't mean you'll succeed.

He had a job and a lovely family. Mary isn't to blame for his problems. No one is to blame but him. He made his own decisions.

I HATE this movie.

He had the tickets in his hand and was out the door! Then Mary makes a wish and his father ups and dies, therefore trapping him at the B&L.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    nope
    his brother. Duh.

I agree. Mary had NOTHING to do with his dad's death. His brother is the reason that he was deaf in one ear, and George also spent all his savings sending his brother through school.Mary is his whole world and the reason that his life is so wonderful, in spite of everything bad.

But you are forgetting that without Mary's wish George would have gone to college and then left that town. I am not exonerating any of the other fools in that town who took advantage of George but it was that one moment when Mary made that wish that led to all of the other issues. He was doing fine with only hearing in one ear.

No, Mary's wish would have come through differently. Uncle Billy is the one who lost the $8k! George stayed at the building and loan because of who *HE* is as a person. If he were selfish, then he would have went off with Mary on a grand honeymoon. Mary's wish did not cause any problems, only joy and a lifetime of happiness.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Nope, the fault all falls on George. He should not have told Mary about the whole breaking the windows thing. He has no one to blame but himself.

True, we are all responsible for our own choices. And George's choices actually led him to a blessed life.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I HATE this movie.

He had the tickets in his hand and was out the door! Then Mary makes a wish and his father ups and dies, therefore trapping him at the B&L.

Mary did *NOT* wish his father to be dead. Where are you coming up with this? Were you stoned when you watched this yesterday? :laugh:
  • doorki
    Options
    nope
    his brother. Duh.

But you are forgetting that without Mary's wish George would have gone to college and then left that town. I am not exonerating any of the other fools in that town who took advantage of George but it was that one moment when Mary made that wish that led to all of the other issues. He was doing fine with only hearing in one ear.

No, Mary's wish would have come through differently. Uncle Billy is the one who lost the $8k! George stayed at the building and loan because of who *HE* is as a person. If he were selfish, then he would have went off with Mary on a grand honeymoon. Mary's wish did not cause any problems, only joy and a lifetime of happiness.

Mary's wish was that they would live together in that broken down house. In order to get to that point, fate needed to get George in charge of the building and loan, which it did by killing his father, then it needed to keep him in town so fate had a bank run in order to have them miss their honeymoon. That is the only way they got into that house. Heck, it was George's ear that kept him out of WW2, further preventing him from leaving that town. George was a prisoner to Mary's wish!
  • doorki
    Options

I HATE this movie.

Mary did *NOT* wish his father to be dead. Where are you coming up with this? Were you stoned when you watched this yesterday? :laugh:

I didn't say that Mary wished for the father to die but, as we all know, wishes have a cost. The way for fate to answer Mary's wish was to kill George's father so he would have to stay in town.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I agree. Awful movie. :devil: