Anyone else get the blues when they don't workout??

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I get anxious and short tempered and my joints start aching. The gym is both my mental and physical therapy. I don't know how people survive without it.
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I become more anxiety prone then anything else if I don't workout for a while. I also get a little side of depression which is always nice. So, I try to workout when I can. :)
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I woke up Monday with a scorching case of Pink-eye. Between that and the cold from hell I've had, I wound up skipping the Gym or any form of exercise Monday and Yesterday. I don't have the blues but I'm not at all happy that I haven't done any kind of workout since sunday. I will be going tonight once everybody has gone to bed as is my normal schedule.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Exercise makes your body produce serotonin, dopamine and phenylethylamine. They are also known as "happy chemicals".
    So it would make sense that you are less cheerful when you're not exercising.
    These chemicals also have an effect on anxiety, so you anxiety levels could raise as well. This is why my psych recommends to everyone with an AD to start going for walks or runs.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I haven't worked out in a couple week :( I feel fat, bloated, and gross!!! Therefore, I have been eating gross unhealthy food. Doesn't make sense, I know. I know a lot of people say this but I am starting out fresh in 2013. Hoping for a lifechange of eating more healthy and clean food and excersizing much more. I feel so much better menally and physically when I work out.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about "the blues" but I can become a downright *kitten* when I don't get to work out.

Me too. Only it's the female version.

I do notice I get sad though. I think working out is a great anti-depressant! Too bad it takes more effort than popping a pill, if it weren't for that, I bet we'd have happier people roaming around the first world countries.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I am learning that I love exercise but I do not want to be adicted to it. If I control my food intake, then I do not feel guilty about not exercising every single day. I do not want to feel guilty about anything. I do miss it when I haven't had it for a little while though. I promised myself not to get addicted to anything this time around. So far so good.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I don't get the blues as such but an overwhelming feeling of guilt if I miss a run when it's not a designated rest day. Christmas, birthdays Tec are of no consequence to me .
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I can't go days... If I take a one-day break I'm kind of nuts. But exercise is helping me w/ recovery. Just passed 100 days of sobriety a week ago. So I don't mind working out every day - it's better than doing something else. ;)
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    For sure, and I always find sneaky ways to exercise.
    I use a mini-trampoline at my computer station instead of sitting, wear ankle weights walking around as well as a 60 lb weighted vest doing house chores.
    On those days when I just can't get to the gym, I still get some exercise.
    Missing is no longer an option.
  • Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I feel a little sad on the days I don't get to the gym. It's really a huge mood booster for me.
  • Lucy177
    Options
    I get really frustrated when I don't run. I didn't run today so Ill be climbing the walls tomorrow. It's good motivation and hopefully will make me go faster! X
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have to admit to this but I do feel emotionally down when I am not able to workout...
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I'm bummed out when I can't exercise.
  • jdsmom0104
    Options
    yeah, my whole attitude is dfif if i dont work out. its become a part of me, so if i dont have it, i feel like something's missing :)
  • BlairCottier
    BlairCottier Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Its definitely not just you!! I saw someone else say that exercising produces "happy chemicals". This is absolutely true. I have dealt with depression/anxiety a few times in my life and I can easily say that it has not been when I have been working out consistently. I havent worked out the past couple of days, and I can definitely tell!! Exercise is very important for physical AND mental health.
  • Dymatized
    Options
    I get antsy and cranky like a male PMS if I don't work out on a routine basis. Holidays is one thing but if I can't work out because of working too much or something keeps coming up that delays my routine then keep away LOL.
  • mcguvs
    mcguvs Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yea, I get bummed when I miss a day. I am addicted !! No doubt !
  • sydneywb86
    sydneywb86 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone. Not necessarily the blues, but even when I have a good excuse, I feel guilty and lazy and positive that I've gained at least 100 pounds (dramatic, I know.) One day back in the gym and I feel like my 'normal' self again. Working out has become a way to clear my mind and get 'grounded' again...going without it is a a mental and physical detriment these days. Plus, I just feel great after a good workout. The gym just feels like home now and like where I belong, as do my favorite running routes...wouldn't trade either for anything now. Totally considered myself addicted now!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I feel sluggish and not myself if I don't work out. I like the post-workout high I get.