What do runners wear in your city?

Options
Full4Life
Full4Life Posts: 172 Member
Ok... I put this here because this is a bit of a gripe... You see, I run. It has completely sculpted and changed my body for the better. I love it and nobody can tell me any different - me who has never done ANY sport in my life!

Anyway, weather in the Northeast has gone cold, but folks in these parts - aside from their regular trendy multi-colored gear -haven't changed a bit!

They're still running with exposed skin! And I can see there skin is getting red as they're going. If I did that, I would be so chapped (as I imagine THEY are when they get home).

What CAUSES people to do that if not for vanity?

Replies

• sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Fleece, sweatshirts, etc
  • Full4Life
    Options
    LOL, they all wear really expensive crap here, and like I said, shorts up to HERE - even while the snow's coming down!!!
  • synostosis
    synostosis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    We are pretty covered up here although our weather is similar to yours LookingFWD. :) only the crazies wear shorts. The hat and runner gloves are necessary here.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I have seen this and assumed it is either that they feel they don't want restriction, or more likely, it's part of the "exhilaration".
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it's a gripe. Different people wear different things. It's about what's comfortable for them, I doubt they're worried about impressing you.
  • befitbre
    befitbre Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Some people heat up quicker than others. No issue really.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have some friends that always run in shorts for a few reasons:

1) It's cheaper than buying running tights.
    2) The tights get hot on long runs.
    3) Cold air causes molecules to shrink and make things "thinner" so that the blood courses more quickly through their legs and increases their speed. (may be total BS, I'm pretty gullible at times.)
    4) They plan to race in the spring/summer and want to train in the same gear they will run in during the race.
    5) They still haven't washed their running tights from the last run and those things get stiff.
    6) They aren't a fan of how revealing running tights are without a cover up and think that shorts or a skirt over the tights is overkill.

I personally tend to run colder so wear more clothes. To each their own, I suppose.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    It is still warm enough to run in shorts or knee length tights here, but I see people in fleece and gloves when it gets close to 50 degrees out. People run in what makes them feel most comfortable. I can't get comfortable in longer or bulky gear.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I'll run in shorts down to the 40s but will wear a fleece top or additional layers. I'll even add a hat and gloves before sweat pants. I hate running in sweat pans and running tights look weird on dudes and I find them uncomfortable.
  • Full4Life
    Options
    It's snowy and windy now which is why I'm wearing tights, a windbreaker, gloves and a hat (yeah, that's right, a big bright red one!). I keep it light, but skin COVERED! I've found that while I do warm up, I don't warm up SO much that it warrants me chapped skin. I've also found that if you DO get stuck a mile from your home with a cramp and have to walk it out, that extra layer is ALL that's keeping you from the FLU.

And BTW, I DO think that some people do it to show off. Though - granted - there really ARE some steep climbs in my area. I could imagine if that was ALL I was doing (going up and down the climbs) it would warrant exposed skin. Otherwise, I'll stick to my intensive care lotion and long lycra, thank you very much!
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    My boss wears running tights when he goes for his lunch time run. NOT what I want to see. EVER.

OP: around here it's still mostly tolerable to run in shorts and t-shirts, sometimes with extra layers. There are a few in running tights. Not many in sweatpants.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    They're still running with exposed skin! And I can see there skin is getting red as they're going. If I did that, I would be so chapped (as I imagine THEY are when they get home).

I am one of those people who much prefers my running shorts with my running vest. At most it'll be with a jacket and my running gloves. I've been road running the majority of my life, from when I was a child, with my Dad as my coach.

The people around my area are shorts wearers too. It is clearly the preferred choice for bottom wear. And we all run in our am and night time, crossing each other throughout our routes.

http://www.polyvore.com/preferred_runners_attires_in_my/set?id=66986016
  • Full4Life
    Options

I am one of those people who much prefers my running shorts with my running vest. At most it'll be with a jacket and my running gloves. I've been road running the majority of my life, from when I was a child, with my Dad as my coach.

The people around my area are shorts wearers too. It is clearly the preferred choice for bottom wear. And we all run in our am and night time, crossing each other throughout our routes.

That's just about the coolest thing I've seen! How'd you make that site?

Though as far as running in shorts, you're in LA, right? I'm in NYC and it's in the 30s with wind and snow. I guess, though you're right, the only ones running at this time of year are the 5mi+ runners. I'm probably the last holdout of the lightweight runners at barely 4 miles yet. Guess I ain't runnin' with the big boys yet if I gotta cover up, right?
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    well.. last runners I saw where I live participated in the "undie-run"...
    so... people didn't wear much at all. :P
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

^^This. My ^sister ^ is my training buddy, and much like her, I have grown accustom to running in shorts even in winter. It is immaterial if we're in New York in the dead of winter@-5 degrees F or if we are at Mammoth Mountain with friends, if we are going for a run, it's shorts, running vest, jacket and gloves - the chosen attire. For me personally, longer pants feel heavy on my legs, so it becomes cumbersome to move without feeling as though it's pulling me on like an undertow on land. If anything, I know if I wore something longer, I could very likely hurt myself, not to mention slow me down. The jacket is purely for those days when the temperature falls below 30 degrees F.

I never get chaffed skin. A dense moisturiser works better using the Eskimo logic@whale grease to prevent winter skin.,
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    <
    This. (Construction worker high-visibility hoodie, headband, gloves, loosely wrapped scarf)

And cold weather tights over knee-high socks on the bottom.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Though as far as running in shorts, you're in LA, right? I'm in NYC and it's in the 30s with wind and snow. I guess, though you're right, the only ones running at this time of year are the 5mi+ runners. I'm probably the last holdout of the lightweight runners at barely 4 miles yet. Guess I ain't runnin' with the big boys yet if I gotta cover up, right?

The weather here gets down to 20 -30 degrees F in the early mornings when we start and when we're out at night for our PM runs. We do have some snow when we reach the mountain tops, but nothing like New York for it dissipates before 10am. :) Bone chilling winds hit us from two sides coming directly from the coast@2 coastal directions, being that we're located in the mountains, where the weather changes pretty rapidly.

Running attire is a matter of personal comfort in my opinion. If you were to increase your mileage your level of comfort would still dictate what you choose to wear, and that is perfectly alright.
  • Full4Life
    Options
    It is immaterial if we're in New York in the dead of winter@-5 degrees F or if we are at Mammoth Mountain with friends, if we are going for a run, it's shorts, running vest, jacket and gloves - the chosen attire. For me personally, longer pants feel heavy on my legs, so it becomes cumbersome to move without feeling as though it's pulling me on like an undertow on land. If anything, I know if I wore something longer, I could very likely hurt myself, not to mention slow me down. The jacket is purely for those days when the temperature falls below 30 degrees F.

I never get chaffed skin. A dense moisturiser works better using the Eskimo logic@whale grease to prevent winter skin.,
    That's awesome. You are WAY heartier than me! Still, I don't want to try it... I see their skin getting red and even with tights I've got to OVER moisturize in winter.
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Waterproofs.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options

That's just about the coolest thing I've seen! How'd you make that site?

Thank you OP - thought it moot, for the activewear range adorned by a good majority, is practically almost uniform-like out here, with the standard basics, with the few splashes of colour in an environment where we all know each other very well - like family.

I'd joined years ago @the site, to sample test combinations for self and clients, plus I moderate select networks for my community's international set, where dress codes, etc had gotten to a stage where visuals became a necessity, to best advise our youth. *Please do PM me and I will gladly walk you through@the site.

BOT Personally, if being more covered up makes you comfortable and you're feeling as light as the breeze, whilst you're running as you've done, I honestly don't think you need to wear less@'aint running with the big boys, unless you feel as some of us do - with more on, uncomfortable, heavy and uncoordinated. I have friends from severely conservative backgrounds who run with their long skirts and their long sleeve active tees, which to me is awfully uncomfortable and appears extremely inconvenient, but to them - is more than adequate.

I believe that the comfort-levels [differing] from runner to runner might be determined by our conditioning [introduction/exposure/temperature & weather resistance]. I'd been exposed to the harsh Wellington (NZ) winter weather and by practice, despite the freezing temperatures, we had to play and train with our mini netball skirts on with briefs - our regulation attire and once one does that over a couple of years, harsh winter temperatures elsewhere aren't so extreme - provided there is a limited duration of exposure.

Edited to add introduction and exposure to last sentence.