What do runners wear in your city?

Options

Replies

• SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Pacific Northwest and while our weather is much milder, the MOST I will ever wear when it's cold are some lightweight tights and a long sleeve tee. I get really really hot when I run so the cold air feels mighty good :)
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I'm near Dallas. When it's cold I see mainly long sleeved tops & shorts or running tights. I sometimes run in a tank with running sleeves so if I get hot I can pull them down. When I've run in freezing weather it's an under armor top and fleeced running tights.

The breaking point for me is shorts high '40's, tights after that. If it's overcast or windy I'll go w/ tights.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    In Alaska, we cover up :wink: :laugh:
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. You are WAY heartier than me! Still, I don't want to try it... I see their skin getting red and even with tights I've got to OVER moisturize in winter.

I do understand what you're referring to@skin getting red. I tend to refer to it as splotchy shots of red when I do see it on people. I was thinking it had more to do with thermogenesis though.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I love my tights because they're more comfortable for my shape than most shorts but I'll run in a t-shirt unless it's below freezing or too windy.

Wear what you're comfortable in and let others do the same. Even if they are losing layers solely to satisfy their exhibitionist impulses maybe that's what gets them motivated to get out and get it done. Either way, I don't see the sense in being judgmental about it.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I can't understand how this would affect your life one little bit. Really. You are focused on what they WEAR rather than the fact they don't give a crap & still run anyways? Hell..... sting me up then. When it was winter here, I was walking & running in the cold with shorts & a tank top. Now it's summer & on some days you will find me in long leggings & a long sleeve tshirt....

I don't think they give a crap what you think about what THEY wear just as much as they don't give a crap what YOU wear. It would be nothing but comfort to them.

BTW you don't get the FLU from being cold any more than you get a cold from being cold.... FLU is a VIRUS.
  • Full4Life
    Full4Life Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I can't understand how this would affect your life one little bit. Really. You are focused on what they WEAR rather than the fact they don't give a crap & still run anyways? Hell..... sting me up then. When it was winter here, I was walking & running in the cold with shorts & a tank top. Now it's summer & on some days you will find me in long leggings & a long sleeve tshirt....

I don't think they give a crap what you think about what THEY wear just as much as they don't give a crap what YOU wear. It would be nothing but comfort to them.

BTW you don't get the FLU from being cold any more than you get a cold from being cold.... FLU is a VIRUS.
    Happy New Year, Sweetheart!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I almost never wear pants or a sweatshirt when I run. I'm hot. I'm too hot for being covered by the time I get to the end of my street. The only long sleeves i will wear are super thin. That's down to about 30 degrees F, anyways. I haven't run in anything colder than that so I can't be for sure what I would do.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Some people run in tights & jackets, some in shorts. I wear capri leggings and a long sleeve shirt (with a tank underneath). A lot of the time I end up taking off the shirt and running in the tank (I get toasty when I run). I don't think that anyone seeing me could accuse me of wearing a tank out of vanity. As for getting chapped from the cold: different people have different tendencies. My lips chap, but the rest of me doesn't.

I give anyone running in the cold & the rain props, I really don't care what they are wearing.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    What CAUSES people to do that if not for vanity?

temperature control?
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I feel like my running pants are more revealing than my shorts because they're skin tight. If I had anything to show off, I'd be wearing the pants!

Anyway, I'll be in the northeast this winter for an internship through my school. I'm from California, and I don't have the money to go out and buy a new running wardrobe, and I can't afford a gym membership. I'm hoping that the light jackets and running pants I have will be enough!
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    For some reason people tend to run in shorts and a long T... I don't really get why. Seems far too cold to me.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    They wear ultra sexy layers like me! Sometimes we look so good it's hard to keep focused!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you're comfortable running in. Here it hasn't gotten that cold yet and won't get too cold...usually only in the 30s

I do NOT like cold, so I will run in pants with a long sleeve thermal shirt and jacket, hat and I rarely wear gloves b/c I heat up

However, there is plenty of times I've gone out running and gotten overheated b/c I over dressed. I've read it in Runner's World and on a running site...dress like its 20 degrees warmer out as you WILL heat up (I already told my husband that I swore I heated up 20 degrees when I ran)...now I have confirmation.

I do wear shorts, tank and t-shirt usually for running if it's mid 50s and sunny
    Below that I will wear capris

Last night I was running in the mist and dark and it was 40ish...I wore pants, long sleeve top, jacket and watch cap; my teeth were literally chattering when I started but I was sweating when I finished.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Black. In the dark. While they run in the street. So they can sue me if I hit them.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I live on an indian reserve so we're more of a small town. 7000 people.

I usually see guys in big t-shirts with basketball shorts, or fleece sweatpants.

The women wear spandex or lycra looking black pants with a tank top (Or a thin windbreaker). Sometimes baggy, but short shorts.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    They do it simply for the dirty looks from women like yourself.
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I live on the coast in north east England, and its freezing here half the time. People tend to wear anything from shorts and shirts to sweatpants and layers. It's all personal preference and what you feel comfortable in. The rare times I run, I tend to wear leggings, a vest top and a jumper if its cold that I can wrap around my waist if I get too hot.
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Although I NEVER run in shorts (even in the 104 degree weather we get in the summer) I can see why some people would LAYER with shorts under their longer clothes. I get REALLY hot when I run, and I feel like I'm suffocating even when it's freezing. Of course, if you're on a long run, layering may not work seeing as how you'd have to ditch your clothes in some random spot, lol. So I could see why they'd just go ahead and wear shorts while they warm into it.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Pacific Northwest, near Seattle specifically. The weather around here is generally pretty mild, but we do occaisionally dip into the low thirties and sometimes the twenties and below. Runners here wear whatever they feel like. Some will be bundled up in lots of techie gear, other just in gym shorts and a T-shirt. It's a diverese culture out this way. Plus, I always love it when I see the unexpected person running in jeans. What are they thinking?