Eating cottage cheese...?

Options
Hello!! I'm about to start eating cottage cheese as a healthy snack alternative... But I have no clue where to start! I have heard you can mix it with fruit, substitute it for mayo, and other tho has... My question is.. How much cottage cheese do you use when you are mixing it with fruit ? I have pineapple, peaches, and a fruit medley I want to try with it.. Just don't know where to start:)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated:)

Replies

• Bobhunter624
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese every day with saltine crackers (Ritz or TUC or similar) with plenty of salt and pepper on.

you can also mix it with fruit, but I tend to just have it as above and have plain yogurt over fresh fruit , makes a nice lunch which saves calories for dinner later.

Good luck with your journey.

:drinker:
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    How much you have would depend on your daily calorie goal. How much can you put towards a snack? Just off the top of my head I'm thinking 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and 1/4 - 1/2 cup of fruit. That's my favorite way to eat it....with fruit, but I like it just by itself too. As I mentioned, how much you have all depends on how many calories you have available. Adjust accordingly.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese by itself with a spoon.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    i just cant get past the texture. I can eat it IN stuff Italian dishes, casseroles) but not alone.
  • novarugger10
    novarugger10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love eating cottage cheese with fruit, especially melons. You can also add nuts or seeds to give it some texture, or put it on top of toast.
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I just eat it plain as a snack, about 1/2 cup. its one of my favorite snacks... i cant stand it with fruit though, plain for me :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese by itself with a spoon.

This, every day.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I don't typically mix my cottage cheese with anything but if I do i mix it with horseradish. YUM!
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with berries and typically eat about 200gm at a time.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My absolute fav afternoon snack is this:

1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
    generous amount of cinnamon
    1/2 a large apple
    12 almonds

It will keep you full for hours and it is so delicious!!
  • dawnmarie1115
    dawnmarie1115 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like eating it plain or with cut up an avacado. Peaches and/or Strawberries are always good in cottage cheese too.
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I enjoy cottage cheese, by itself. I'm not a pro at putting stuff in my premade food.

I put blueberries in my oatmeal the other day, awesome. But I enjoy plain old cottage cheese.
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I don't typically mix my cottage cheese with anything but if I do i mix it with horseradish. YUM!

I'm going to have to try this. I have always eaten it plain, but have gotten some great ideas for additives. Thanks
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    My absolute fav afternoon snack is this:

1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
    generous amount of cinnamon
    1/2 a large apple
    12 almonds

It will keep you full for hours and it is so delicious!!

^
    this is one of my favorites! Except instead of almonds I use a tbsp of chopped walnuts. And I add about 1/2tbsp of honey.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese and crushed pineapple!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese with pretzels, chips, or just plain-- but the extra low fat versions are not nearly as good by themselves.
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    I like it plain or with hot sauce and sprouts!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    How much you have would depend on your daily calorie goal. How much can you put towards a snack? Just off the top of my head I'm thinking 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and 1/4 - 1/2 cup of fruit. That's my favorite way to eat it....with fruit, but I like it just by itself too. As I mentioned, how much you have all depends on how many calories you have available. Adjust accordingly.

Sounds like what I do. Plus I will make a dinner out of it with ham, and peas, . I use it in place of ricotta cheese too.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I like to spread it on Wasa bread crackers with slices of tomato, sprinkled with seasoned pepper or season all or something like that. Yum... I haven't had that in years... I might need to go find some!
  • rejordan
    rejordan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I had the same question, but I looked at what the suggested serving size was on the label. 1/2 a cup. If you've never had it, I'd suggest starting with fruit. I like pineapple and peaches. I had to start slow, because as a child my Mom gave me some and I thought she was spawn of the devil! I swore never to eat the stuff. And beets. Yikes. Now, I like both! Go figure. If you're into savory stuff, try the pita chips or crackers. Enjoy!